Author Topic: cleaning your rattie cage - comparison of different disinfectants  (Read 43833 times)

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • owned by three rodentists
I found a great website a few days ago and now I can't find it anymore  ???. I did print it out though and that's what they wrote (this is just what I read):

Phenols (Lysol & pine cleansers): Absolute NO NO. Dangerous to rodents and E.coli and other enteric bacteria can actually grow in phenols.

Chlorine Bleach: cheapest and is very effective if you are careful to rinse it well then air dry everything that has been soaked in it. Bleach is corrosive to metals! It is also inactivated by organic material, that means you must clear away any body fluids first and then use bleach. Chlorine does kill spores and Mycoplasma, something that most disinfectants are not capable of doing.

Quaternary ammonium compounds: These aren't bad but are inactivated in the presence of soap, never mix them with detergents or soaps. The household cleansers with "scrubbing bubbles" fall into this group and work very well at removing stuck on urine. They do not kill spores.

Chlorhexidine (i.e. Nolvasan): This is the best choice except for the fact that it doesn't kill spores. It is not corrosive to metals and it's non-toxic. It is not inactivated by anything, it has residual effects and best of all if mixed correctly with water it can be used as non-stinging, non-tissue damaging antiseptic.

Antibacterial Soap: These are a very poor choice because they only kill bacteria. The are not strong enough to kill Mycoplasma. Basically useless.

Alcohol: Is not effective against certain types of virus, it is inactivated by soap and does not kill spores. Alcohol must be in contact with the object it is to disinfect for several minutes. Not effective because it evaporates too quickly.

Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide as Disinfectants: pairing the two mists killed virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, E.coli. The best results came from using one mist right after the other - it is 10 times more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than mixing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one sprayer.

<br/>www.wonderrodent.com<br/>
"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline ratsamongus

• Posts Too Much!
  • ~ rats are magic ~
Re: cleaning your rattie cage - comparison of different disinfectants
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 01:04:56 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  Good information  :)

Offline ShantiDass

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 04:20:38 PM »
I love the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide combo.  It takes all the funk off the bottom trays and makes things look new again along with all the funky rat smell.  It also works great on my rabbit litter boxes.

Offline heather_nsg

• http://www.myspace.com/poeticrat
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 10:46:42 PM »
I used to use white vinegar, but the smell was getting to me so I switched to a bleach/water solution. I hose the cage, spray with bleach, let it sit a few minutes, and then hose off again really well. It does great for killing odors and germs, but I would like to switch to something as effective but less harsh to the skin/nose once I can find something like that. But bleach is cheap which is a good advantage as well as how effective it is.
Treasure life above treasure.

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 11:33:39 PM »
I bought a gallon bottle of "Nolvasan" that I mentioned in the e-mail (we also use it at the Humane Society where I volunteer). It is safe and not harsh. I ordered it from "www.allivet.com". I also ordered a laundry additive disinfectant that you mix in with a regular laundry detergent to wash the hammocks (since I can't wash my hammocks in hot water).
I think if you use the vinegar/hydrogene peroxide combo the vinegar smell is not as harsh.

"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline JulesMichy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 06:56:38 AM »
Hmm, last time I cleaned I used a product from work called Urine-Off that's an enzymatic cleaner. I wasn't really impressed. Although it did wonders for my carpet in pee-soaked spots, it left white crusty spots on the cage that I had to go back and scrub off.

I think I'll start using the vinegar/peroxide combo.

Offline Sand

• proud mom of three kids, three rats, one bunny
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 08:15:34 AM »
I use vinegar and Peroxide myself I use it on the martins cage.  But I have to say that when I have to clean the quarantine tank (a 20 gallon aquarium) I use bleach and water rinse well let dry and then I use the vinegar and  peroxide on it.  It takes the smell out of the aquarium.  I also use vinegar and peroxide on by rabbit litter plans as well it works wonders.

Sand

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 06:07:16 PM »
yup I swear by the vinegar and peroxide as well.  Works well for cleaning and smell and I can feel completely relaxed using it, knowing they are safe.

Offline BijouRatz

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 11:00:47 AM »
I clean house according to Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson  (SPELLING??) anyway...it's my cleaning bible.

According to it, a good disenfectant is And this measurement is not exact cause I can't find the book right now, but you get the picture and it can be found in libraries and bookstore.  Take pen and paper.

1 tbsp Dish Soap (Dawn is good)
1/4 c of bleach
1 gallon of HOT water

Scrub, Rinse, CLEAn!!!!

I use for the cages   HOT WATER and DAWN.  But ya really need the scrubbing power of bubbles so use make sure you got bubbles.  I scrub like pots, then rinse, and dry.

Check the book out.  It goes into the chemistry of WHY and HOW of detergents, and cleaning products, and how soap works and why to do it a certain way.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 11:05:34 AM »
I'm going to "sticky" this topic, as this is a VERY common question, and the information in here is really great!    :)

Offline Gwen

• Ritten
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 07:00:42 PM »
I've always just scrubbed with dish soap and hot water and rinsed well as I knew a lot of products are a no no for use around animals.  I am going to give the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide a try and see how goes.  Thanks for sharing.
"Never test the depth of the water with both feet"

Gwen

Offline starsevol

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 03:59:42 PM »
When I got my first boys in Feb 2003, I used Dawn and hot water. Then last year I started using quatricide. I was never ecstatic with either but was worried about safety.

The vinegar and hydrogen peroxide method really intrigued me.
I filled a spray bottle with vinegar and bought a bottle of hydrogen peroxide.
I spray the vinegar on everything and scrub it down and dry it, then I literally pour a small amount of hydrogen peroxide into the cage pan and do the same making sure to use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide wet paper towels on the cage wire. Am I doing this right? Any suggestions? I have done it this way twice so far and have been happy with the results.
Ruger and Remington.

Forever in my heart-OSED Rain Beau, OSED Cosmic Cloud, OSED Grand Finale, Art Vandelay,Bobbiesue,Billiejo,Risotto,Wellington,Winchester, Roosevelt ,Marshmallow and Luger.

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 12:21:15 PM »
I don't know if there really is a right way to do it but the way that I do it and I believe others as well is to have peroxide in one spray bottle and vinegar in another.  Spray one and then another on top of the other and let them sit for a couple of seconds and then scrub off.  I believe it is the two of them mixing that creates the stronger disinfectant.  Doesn't really matter which you spray first, although some people like the way it bubbles when you spray the peroxide first  ;)  :cheeky:  Personally I spray the vinegar first and then the peroxide simply because my SO hates the smell of vinegar and I find the smell goes away faster this way.

Offline starsevol

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 04:15:25 PM »
Thank you Tamera. Guess I need another spray bottle. Feel like a dummy now :)
Ruger and Remington.

Forever in my heart-OSED Rain Beau, OSED Cosmic Cloud, OSED Grand Finale, Art Vandelay,Bobbiesue,Billiejo,Risotto,Wellington,Winchester, Roosevelt ,Marshmallow and Luger.

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 10:51:52 PM »
Your welcome  ;)

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 06:54:15 AM »
I was once told to use tang mixed with some water..  it did work, is safe, but MAN the stuff stains like mad!  it's good at getting hardwater stains out, though..

Offline Countess Arabella

• In Memory of the Countess Arabella: July 18th 2003
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 02:09:32 PM »
TANG?
Tang as in the drink?

Now I'm kind of glad I never drank it.
"Before you judge a person, walk a mile in their shoes, then if you find out you really don't like them.. you're a mile away,... and you have their shoes."

My Countess Arabella, Schubert,Lucius and NIMH. Rest well and Play hard my babies. I love and miss you.

Offline gotik

• The rats will show me the way
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006, 12:03:55 PM »
Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide as Disinfectants: pairing the two mists killed virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, E.coli. The best results came from using one mist right after the other - it is 10 times more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than mixing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one sprayer.

Where would i be able to buy hydrogen peroxide?

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2006, 12:33:13 PM »
Walgreens, pharmacy section of any grocery store etc. (a lot of times they come in a brown bottle). This is what you usually use to disinfect a wound (it kind of fizzes and it hurts on an open wound).

Offline gotik

• The rats will show me the way
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2006, 01:33:04 PM »
Walgreens, pharmacy section of any grocery store etc. (a lot of times they come in a brown bottle). This is what you usually use to disinfect a wound (it kind of fizzes and it hurts on an open wound).

Excellent. I will try the chemist on monday!

Offline punksjunk

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 01:42:01 PM »
i like the diluted bleach solution, however i didn't realize it was corrosive.
the wires of the cage are powder coated, so i'm not having a problem with it.
after i clean with diluted bleach, i'll spray it with a superpet cleaning spray to get rid of the bleach smell, and wipe off all moisture with paper towels.

in loving memory of monty. he is dearly missed.

Offline katkimmers

Hydrogen peroxide
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 08:07:49 AM »
I'm a Teacher's aide for 8th grade. We're doing chemistry in Science now and I learned a surprising fact. Hydrogen peroxide turns to water when exposed to light. That is why is always come in dark bottles. (at least I THINK that's what the teacher said.) So if you're going to use the spray bottle method you should either only use the amount you need and pour it back in to the original bottle or find a spayer that fits the original bottle.

Hope I'm right about this.

Kim

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 04:26:01 PM »
Regarding peroxide... you just put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the cage, then wipe off?  Or do you dilute it with water like bleach and vinegar?

EDIT:  Apparently I like to skim since my question's answered a couple replies above!  :P
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 04:32:12 PM by SuccubusOfAngels »
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 02:34:53 PM »
Regarding peroxide... you just put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the cage, then wipe off?  Or do you dilute it with water like bleach and vinegar?

You don't dilute either the peroxide or the vinegar.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline tb712

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 02:38:47 PM »
Regarding the peroxide and vinegar, could someone explain to me the process.. such as: spray peroxide, then spray vinegar, let sit and then rinse? Could someone tell me the correct time frame or process? Thanks in advance
Brittney & Tom