Author Topic: Dog food comparisons - website with ingredients, etc  (Read 4231 times)

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
Dog food comparisons - website with ingredients, etc
« on: November 29, 2004, 10:12:40 PM »
http://mordanna.com/dogfood/

This site lists ingredients and contact info for almost any dog food made. It also provides you with tools that enable you to compare your dog foods to others, including how to analyze the ingredients.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline ratlife

• Posts Too Much!
  • Proud pet of my rodents
    • Perfect Pets Rodent Rescue
Re: Dog food comparisons - website with ingredients, etc
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 02:42:38 PM »
ack, brain over load!  Doesn't take much with me.  I have been feeding Chance Purina Puppy Chow.  Any comments good or bad on that?

Offline jessiree

• Posts Too Much!
  • I live for rattie kisses.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 03:49:05 PM »
ack, brain over load!  Doesn't take much with me.  I have been feeding Chance Purina Puppy Chow.  Any comments good or bad on that?

bad  ;)  I'm by no means a dog food expert, but I do know that almost anything you can buy in walmart or a grocery store is what I'd consider "sub-standard" food.  THe first ingredient in puppy chow is ground yellow corn.  not a good thing.  I'm feeding Wellness to our pit bull puppy (well...she's 10 months old) and she's doing outstanding on it.  less poop, more solid.  less food per feeding, so even though the food is more expensive it works out, her coat is georgeous and she's starting to get more muscle tone.
Love a rescue rat and they will love you back!

Offline ratlife

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 06:31:34 PM »
Ohhhh, okay.  I would get Wellness at the feed store?  Also am I correct that they need to stay on puppy food until one year?

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 07:04:19 PM »
ratlife - as said above, purina is not one of the foods i would consider a very good one. its certainly not the worst - its more a middle of the road sort of food.

if i fed a kibble, i would personally want one made with human grade ingredients, naturally preserved, and chock full of meat, not fillers and grains.

my personal favorites in terms of foods are currently innova, evo, california naturals, solid gold, canidae, wellness, azmira, and a few others.

where you can get them depends - most of the companies have retailers online that allow you to find places close by that sell them.

and as for how long puppies need to be on puppy food - its debatable. personally, if i fed kibble and since i have a larger dog, i would go straight to adult food once weaned but it all depends on what food. dogs can be weaned off puppy food anywhere from 6 months to a year.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline ratlife

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 11:13:10 PM »
Okay, thank you very much, will be going to get better food tomorrow!