Author Topic: training questions...  (Read 3603 times)

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
training questions...
« on: December 01, 2004, 07:14:13 PM »
im not sure where this would go right now so ill post it here.

i need ideas as to how to (clicker)train some of these things:

a kickback stand. i already tried touching his toes and legs, no go. i can get him to target my hand and get up, but he automatically sits for the cookie once hes up. i need to break the automatic sit. and that is from a down - i need him to do it from a sit. i guess i could get him from a down, and then transfer it to the sit. once hes up, i can try a stay command to get him in that stand. in the ring i am allowed to situate the dog and touch him, so that is at least a help...

go outs (sends). i guess i could use the target sticks and translate that onto something in the distance for him to target... is that how others do it?

i can get pretty reliable DORecall (to distinguish from a retrieve, of which bowie has none) and DIM, and im working on polishing our flip finish with a close command.

now to get that damned dumbbell back out

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline knuckles

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Lightening
Re: training questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 07:24:47 PM »
In agility, we used "butter lids" as a target to teach "touch" and would often use them at the end of an obsticle that we wanted the dog to go to.  I wonder if you could use something like that. 

I actually have a book called "CLicker Training for Obedience" by Morgan Spector.  I haven't read it so I'm not sure how good it is.  (I have "hear" that not everything is positive reinforcement)  Want me to look up what it says??

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 08:00:17 PM »
i have that one - but i dont like the book much so i actually havent checked there. i have teri arnold books, but her method doesnt work for bowie.

the butter lid as a target for go out would be nice - i can already stop him and such on command, so i could teach it that way... hmmm..... must go eat butter....
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 07:38:03 PM »
We teach get out in agility by putting something in between the dog and us- like a fence type thing, but you can use a chair or whatever. We use the command "out" and "push" them out with the hand on that side straight out palm towards them. Gradually build up space between you and the barracade and take the barracade out. (So much easier to describe if I could just demonstrate!) The dog isn't supposed to return to your side until you drop your hand.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)