Author Topic: Keeping Asher busy...  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
Keeping Asher busy...
« on: December 09, 2004, 10:53:32 PM »
So basically I need more ideas! Due to Asher's meds, her tummy is always hungary! And this results in her barking for hours on end to get me to feed her while I am trying to study. Some things I have tried/already do include:

Ice blocks- water, diluted chicken broth and dog food frozen in bowls. This takes up a bit of time, but since it is getting really cold out, I don't know if I want to continue this in the winter as I give them to her outside.

Kong- I put oatmeal with dog food in them- sometimes frozen. Asher doesn't get the whole licking it out part and has almost ruined her Kong by chomping on it until some squeezes out.

Buster cube- I give it to her with food, but she has mastered it and it takes zero time to empty. The only thing that slows her up is when it gets stuck under the couch.

Another disk type food dispenser- no challenge at all and way to easily chewed, waste of $10.

So as you can see- it has to be food oriented. I almost always restrict the food involved to her dog food (part of her daily amount) or oatmeal. Too much other stuff can set off her seizures. Any ideas? She's very persistant and a pain in the  :maddog:
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline Apopli

• Posts Too Much!
  • rwoar!
    • ScrapYarnProject.com
Re: Keeping Asher busy...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 12:49:22 PM »
Marrow bones? I don't know if this would be good because of the seizure thing, but marrow bones keep my dogs busy for hours. Big ones, anyhow. Bones can be messy, though.

If she can't have bones, I know I saw at Walmart and the pet stores here long rubber or plastic tubes that you could stuff with thick oatmeal and kibble. Little less tricky than Kongs... Don't see it lasting too long... My dogs can empty out a frozen peanut butter and kibble Kong toy in about 5 minutes...

Maybe you could try getting more very interesting things stuck under the couch? lol. But, if Asher is anything like my dogs, she may chew THROUGH the couch, or move it, or tip it over. None of which would be fun.