Author Topic: I need a food recemendation for my dog..  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Leslie Marie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love is how you earn your wings
    • ..::My deviantART::..
I need a food recemendation for my dog..
« on: December 15, 2004, 03:34:33 PM »
It\\\'s finally official. Chewie is now our dog and not my sisters! (My mom dad and I). She told us yesterday that it\\\'s almost impossible to find a good house that allows dogs, so yesterday she said that she\\\'s giving Chewie to us and she\\\'s now ours. ^_^
 But now.. I need a good food recomendation for her. She\\\'s an old Malamute/german shepard mix. She\\\'s nearing 8 - 9 years old now. (I think).  I\\\'m not sure if this will have anything to do with what foods she eats, but she has arthritis (spelling?) in her back hips pretty bad. My dad wants to get her some kind of iams senior formula. But I told him to wait so I could look around and find out what would be best for her. She can\\\'t eat any canned type foods, it gives her diarea every time and we end up taking her outside every 5 minutes when she\\\'s fed that... And her food can\\\'t be anything too big or hard because she has bad teeth..   She isn\\\'t an active dog. She doesn\\\'t play or anything.. she mostly just lays there and sleeps most of the days. Every now and then she gets a little hyper but thats all... Anyway.  Can anyone give me a good food recomedation? And maybe tell why you recomend it?  Thanks.  :)

This is her dogster page just incase anyone would like to see some pictures of her. I still need to update it a bit though.  :P http://www.dogster.com/?91798
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 03:36:19 PM by Leslie Marie »

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
Re: I need a food recemendation for my dog..
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 03:44:53 PM »
well, what ar eyou looking for.
personally, if she has bad hips and bad teeth, i would take her into the vet and see if you can get a dental run -- most dogs that are "Aging" can act MUCH younger once the pain in their mouths are taken care of. it will also enable them to eat better. i would also institute a tooth brushing each night :)
as for her hips, you can institute some supplements (do NOT rely on dog foods to provide you with enough!) for the hips including glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin, etc. I personally use glycoflex III for my dog, but the other I would recommend is Cosequin.

congrats on getting her.

do you want a human grade food, etc?

foods i always recommend:
innova
california naturals
solid gold
canidae
wellness
there are also other nice foods out there - artemis, EVO, etc.

How much are you looking to spend? Feeding a high quality diet that has human grade ingredients, no artificial colors, naturally preserved, etc are my priorities - however, the diets do cost more. on the up side, most dogs need to eat LESS of the high quality foods.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline Apopli

• Posts Too Much!
  • rwoar!
    • ScrapYarnProject.com
Re: I need a food recemendation for my dog..
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 02:31:25 PM »
http://www.urbanwolf.cc/

I've been looking into this food - this is what my breeder feeds her dogs. It's a bit on the expensive side, but in the big picture, I'd be spending less on this food than I do on the kibble my dogs are on now (plus I can get a discount because of my breeder). But it is an "add your own meat" diet.

As for kibble, I'm with Kim on recommendations - though while I'm studying Canine nutrition (in school), kibble is really starting to gross me out.