Author Topic: How many Rat poison pellets does it take to kill a small dog!  (Read 9234 times)

Offline hyper_muse

• Posts Too Much!
  • SQUISHIES!
Hey everyone,

One of my dogs died last night from rat sack. A rat poison. I'm wondering how many pellets does it take to kill a dog of 5.4 kg. They say he ate a mouse that had eaten ratsack and that it killed him too. Does it take the same amount of pellets to kill a mouse as a dog.
We want to know whether the neighbours had baited him and murdered my 9 month old puppy. His brother keeps searching for him and is so depressed, we want revenge. We are on a totally organic farm and we dont use any poisons, the neighbours do.

Any imformation on dogs and rat bait would be great. ASAP.

This is him.
RIP Guido. October 2004 - 8th July 2005

The Ratty Crew - Merlin, Nero, Cotton and Sage.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: How many Rat poison pellets does it take to kill a small dog!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 10:57:47 AM »
I would get his stomach and intestinal contents examined. If you are up to it you can do it yourself.

You would have to know the manufacturer and whether or not they have a grams per pellet or whatever, then you can figure the weight ratio for the dog.  Or just call the manufacturer. But more than likely it isnt that specific.

Then even with that it really depends on the dog.  I had a toy poodle get an entire bag of halloween mini snickers while I was at work and eat every single one and not have any problems from the chocolate, where Ive heard larger dogs having problems with small amounts of chocolate.

Without any evidence you probably cant do anything but its worth a try if you can at least get a vets confirmation.  But if he ate the mouse with rat poison then its hard to determine if anyones at fault.  Your neighbor has the right to get rid of mice with poison I dont know how far they can travel before they die from it.  I supervise my dog when shes out because we dont have a fence and she rolls in things like coyote poop and dead animals. And her head fits in the neighbors great danes mouth.

During the time I worked at the HSU it became quite evident that animals that are injured by a neighbor usually involves the animals owner not taking measures to keep the dog from being a problem for the neighbor.

Usually barking at all hours or for the entire time they are outside or because the dog is trespassing and leaving a mess on the neighbors property or the neighbor just thinking the dog is leaving a mess. 

I know that dosnt make it right what they did but its somthing everyone needs to consider when they let their dog intrude into anothers life by barking or trespassing or any other form of annoyance.

I am sorry that you lost him and if the neighbor did it I hope you can prove it,  I know in the cases the HS were involved in the neighbor got in quite a bit of trouble.

As far as his brother are you able to show him the body? that might help him understand.

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 12:05:41 PM »
Oh no I am so sorry!  What an adorable little guy that Guido.
And it just breaks my heart that his brother keeps looking for him...breaks my heart.
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 02:25:32 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss.  I don't have anything to offer other than what forkyfork said.  To know for sure, you'd need a necropsy, and to know exactly what sort of poison it was, and how strong, etc.  I hope you're able to figure it out.

Offline AngelZOO

• Posts Too Much!
  • Raffin Kind!
    • Bejet.eV . com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 04:09:40 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss! These silly dogs that just try to get into everything hu? It doesn't take much to have an illing effect on small dogs and cats (My friends house cat ate a little very old rat poison between the cracks in the floor bored one day) and nearly died.

Yes if the mouse had recently ate the poison and then your dog consumed the mouse, this could also effect him as well.
I'm sorry I do not have exact amounts, you can contact a manufactuor of rat poison and ask them for the studies (which I'm sure they have). Dependant on how much food your dog had in it's body at the time, and his general health would also effect how little or how much posion it would take to do this.

Other then that if you still can do a complete biopsy on this dog then do it, and asap.
"If you won't rescue, don't breed!"
"Feeding rats is like feeding a pack of sharks" - Angel

Offline hyper_muse

• Posts Too Much!
  • SQUISHIES!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 12:55:10 AM »
Ok well first of all good point forky fork but it seems like your blaming this on me for not keeping my dog in the property.
1st of all he was a puppy and had ANOTHER puppy, his brother, that lewerd each other everywhere and were so hard to keep in one place, one is easy but two is another story.
2nd of all we have a large property and would take forever to line the fences with a wire to keep them in.
3rd the next door neighbours house is built right on our fence line on the other side of the paddock so they only have to wander 5 feet over the fence and they hit their house.
4th we talked to these people at 5 different occasions and asked whether the dogs were a problem and they said no they are lovely our little girls encourage them and we play with them, now that doesnt help our training in keeping them here which we almost had down pack.

the latest news is we went up there and approached him about it. We said that we were getting another puppy at the end of the day and we were pleading with him to use mouse traps of some kind instead of poison for 2 weeks until we get the property fenced in completely. We were also there to investgate the problem that had occured and to get the truth out of him... and yes that cruel man killed my dog. He baited him. The meeting ended with me crying my eyes out and yelling "Mate, your a PRICK"
'Guido has already been cremated, i dont like the idea cutting him open when I know what happened.
we are taking matters into our own hand...
the next dead animal we find whether that be a mouse of a kangaroo we are going to leave it on his door step every time and we are digging a great big hole next to his house and pilling a huge amount of soil into a dirt mountain at his bedroom window. (this is on our land)
We are going to be buying a $100 car and using it as a paddock basher, we are going to cut the exuast off so its extra loud and make sure he doesnt get any sleep for a month.

i moved away and i dont have any friends at the moment, that dog and his brother are my best friends, the best friends i've ever had. I'm infuriated.

Offline AngelZOO

• Posts Too Much!
  • Raffin Kind!
    • Bejet.eV . com
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 06:58:37 PM »
Hmm, well I'm sorry to hear about that situation, the guy is obviously a maniac, but at least he admitted to it, so that will make one thing easier.

I understand how expensive it can be to properly fence in a large property, and with goofy pups, and even some goofy adult dogs, barbed wire might not be your best choice. Or perhaps some bareb wire on the outside of the real fence, to help keep other animals out. The chance of your dogs hurting themselves on a bared wire fence are so great, I don't even like thinking about it.

The safest thing for your dogs, and your peace of mind right now, would be to keep them on leashes. Walk them a lot (dogs enjoy this fun bonding process, and good for mental stimulation). Get some good outside ties near to your property with no objects around for your dog to get tangled up or strangle themselves on. This can help them explore safely while your watching. I know you want to be able to pin this guy again for doing something so horrible, but is it really worth it at the expense of yet another animals death?
"If you won't rescue, don't breed!"
"Feeding rats is like feeding a pack of sharks" - Angel

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 07:48:35 AM »
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Now I am going to get flamed....

Personally I think it is rude to say 'oh well, my dogs wander onto their property and it is too hard to fence ours'

If the neighbor wanted small black curly haired dogs he would have them himself.

It is that simple!

I own two dogs and I still find it annoying that my neighbors dogs come onto my property.  I love dogs, but I see no reason for me to have to pick up after other people's pets and to have to deal with the trouble their dogs cause with my dogs.

Even if they orginally said it was OK to have your dogs wander over, they have changed their mind and it is your job, as a reponsible pet owner, to make sure your dogs do not wander and are not in  harms way. 

What AngelZOO said all makes sense to me.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 12:55:38 PM »
Thanks  trubandloki thats the point I was trying to get across but I guess I used too much sugar. 

Its evident you felt they were bothering your neighbor or you wouldnt have asked them if its allright for your dogs to be there in the first place. 

I have had experience with crazy neighbors and your better off in the long run keeping to yourselves and not bothering him, I can guarantee that he can be much worse than you can ever think of being and then living there will be miserable.

You mentioned getting another puppy, its not fair to the new puppy to put it in this situation before fixing the problem at hand by being out there constantly with the pup or fencing in a small area to contain them.  It was mentioned to use a leash, that dosnt mean put them on a rope and leave them out there either.

All this is not against you we are just concerned for the remaining pup, that the same fate dosnt happen to him. Some of us get the impression from your posts that you are putting your dogs lifes and heath at risk because of a lack of knowledge of ways to keep your pups safe.

Instead of putting $100 into getting a paddock basher why not put up a small wood fenced area for your pup.

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 11:28:52 PM »
I agree with TrubandLoki and Forkyfork.

You know your neighbor puts out poison traps, so don't let your dogs go onto his property.
He's says it's okay, not because it's all right with him, but because he's apathetic.
He does not care what you do.
He does not care about your dogs.
So why trust him?
Think about that for a minute.
Spend your money and time on prevention (eg, a fenced area, training).
Not on petty revenge.
Your neighbor has the right to deal with his mouse problem any way he sees fit.
You can't change him.
You can only change yourself.

While I am sorry for your loss, learn from Guido's death; otherwise he would have died for nothing, and you'll likely have this happen again.
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 12:45:16 AM »
A fenced area sounds good to me too.  Too much freedom isn't good for a pup.  Just fence off a section of the yard for him to play in, unless he's being supervised or on a leash/tie-out. 
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline hyper_muse

• Posts Too Much!
  • SQUISHIES!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 09:39:20 PM »
Well I've obviously left out or not stressed areas enough, because you are all assuming wrong.
We didn't know he had baits out ever. They said they LOVED the dogs being there since they just lost theirs due to old age. And they were being trained to stay in their own boundary and were until 2 little girls visited for 2 weeks up there and they started calling them over to play with them. So we had the problem sorted until these little girls wanted to play with them.
We are not negligent owners what so ever. So please dont assume that.
I dont remember ever mentioning using barbed wire to fence them in... I dont know where you got that from. Although we do have a cow and needs to be fenced in with barbed wire so yes the fences are barbed wire and had the bottom level of wire customly lifted so the dogs can run under there without going near wire.
We got the new puppy and the first thing we did was put chicken wire on all the fences so they cant get out. It works well with the barbed wire, you can lean against it without getting pricked. All up it cost $700.
We trained Guido and his brother Rocco to get on with the cow so the cow is no risk to them. They sit together while Honey, the cow grazes. And don't worry they are ALWAYS supervised while outside.
So now we have Mario, he is the new pup. His 7 weeks old and has already learnt his name and learnt how to sit. his currently being taught to walk on the lead.
We have a set of stairs in the house towards to kitchen that we have put rubber grip on for him so he can get up the stairs. (there are only two steps) and we have a blanket folded at the bottom on the stairs in case he does have a tumble but that hasnt happened yet *thumbs up*
Rocco is super happy now. And is teaching him all kinds of things. So far Rocco has taught him to scratch the front door when he wants to go outside. And Mario has started to pick up exactly how Rocco barks which is more like a Meow. Its so sweet they are getting on really well.