Author Topic: Work Schedule in a Vet or Kennel? - PLEASE help me out here!!  (Read 2517 times)

Offline jaimee

• Pirate, Ninja, and Jules the Destructo-Rat
Work Schedule in a Vet or Kennel? - PLEASE help me out here!!
« on: August 16, 2005, 09:23:39 PM »
hi everyone :)
this is a bit of a plea for help to those of you that work in a vet/kennel - it's for a Time Management assignment i have to do for my Animal Studies course (prelim to Vet Nursing).

if you could just help me out by answering a couple of questions, i'd be eternally grateful :)

1. List your daily work schedule
2. What factors may influence your completing this schedule (unexpected events that might interfere)
3. For each factor/unexpected event - what effect would it have on the schedule, and what would you do about this? (how would you modify your plan/schedule to deal with it?)
4. What would you do if you felt you needed help to complete your schedule due to these factors?

thank you sooo much to anyone that reads through this and then replies - i can't do this assignment on my own, so i'm kind of relying on you lovely people to help me.
thanks!
jaimee.

Offline Indigo

• Indi 5/1/03 - 5/8/04
Re: Work Schedule in a Vet or Kennel? - PLEASE help me out here!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 11:33:39 AM »
1. List your daily work schedule
It varies a little depending on the day/time etc., but i'll try and give a general overview.
7am - Get there, check on any hospital cases that had been there overnight, let hospital cats out, start walknig dogs.
8-9am (depending on how full we are) - Clean any dirty kennels, feed dogs and cats
~ 9:30am - Get everyone medicated/treated that needs to be
After that we just go and clean what needs to be cleaned, tend to any animals that need extra care, take care of boarder admissions and go-homes, baths and grooming, and any appointments where an extra hand is needed
11 am - Walk again
2pm - another round of walking
4pm - Walk again and feed again

That's a basic day shift, nights are pretty much the same

2. What factors may influence your completing this schedule (unexpected events that might interfere)

If the kennels are full do to holidays and vacations, euthanasias that are brought in near closiing time, really sick animals, really difficult animals

3. For each factor/unexpected event - what effect would it have on the schedule, and what would you do about this? (how would you modify your plan/schedule to deal with it?)

It definitely can put someone behind if they're working alone (which I do some nights), but if there's another person or people it's pretty easy to recover and catch up. There's not much that can be done as far as witness euthanasisa are concerned, as sometimes the owners will stay back for quite a while to say goodbye to their pets

4. What would you do if you felt you needed help to complete your schedule due to these factors?

I usually end up staying later if i'm alone, o if I know i'll be in the next morning i'll leave less important stuff for the next morning, a lot fo the time coworkers offer to help out where they can

I hope that helps, if you need anything else feel free to ask. :)

- Kelli

Offline jaimee

• Pirate, Ninja, and Jules the Destructo-Rat
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 11:45:26 PM »
thankyou for replying, looks like you're the only one, but oh well   :-\
that actually helps alot, i think i might have a better idea of what's required now.
i've found a bit more information somewhere else too, so that should really help me to get it done :)

again, thanks heaps indigo, i really appreciate it!
jaimee

Offline Goosemoose

• Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Goosemoose.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 09:33:12 PM »
Jaimee, you will probably have a much better repsonse if you post this in Random Chatter on the rat forum.
My Day Job: Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software - Allows any inspector using Windows or Mac to create easy to read reports that can be quickly uploaded online, or printed out on the job site.