Author Topic: Dogs and Asthma?  (Read 3289 times)

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Was A Rattie Mommy For 9 Years...
    • My FaceBook
Dogs and Asthma?
« on: September 09, 2005, 10:07:57 PM »
Dante always gets out of breath easily, on walks and such, after playing, etc.

We went to the dog park today for 2 hours, he was running around and playing hard

On the way home he started coughing and hacking and breathing heavy/fast, I thought he was gonna pass out! Dave said it sounds exactly like an asthma attack, (he had it as a kid).

I looked it up, and I was surprised that dogs CAN have asthma.

He's laying down now and sytill coughing a little. We're running the shower to get the bathroom all steamy and then we'll bring him in there for a little bit.

Anyway, has anyone had experience with it?
Someday I will have ratties again, until then, chaotic (yet fun) mama life keeps me busy!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Dogs and Asthma?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 10:24:52 PM »
Asthma is a possibility, as is a collapsing trachea.  A vet should be able to do an exam and tell you which it is.  I think collapsing trachea is more likely with a dog, but I'm not certain of that.  Do you use a harness on him or a collar and leash?

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 10:29:43 PM »
If you don't have the time to get him to a vet soon enough, I would definately switch him over to a harness if he's not using one currently and get rid of the collar altogether. You can keep the harness on him all the time and place all his tags in the harness. I second what Marybelle said.

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Was A Rattie Mommy For 9 Years...
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 12:04:08 AM »
He walks on a collar now (up until a few months ago they ONLY walked on their gentle leaders), but I'm talking about him being out of breath after playing in the yard, no collar, they only wear their collars on walks.

He's never had a fit like that before. It was only after we left the offleash dog park, he (obviously) wasn't on a leash there so I assumed it was from playing too hard and being out of breath.

I am going to ask about it on Monday at work, I just didn't know if anyone had experiences with asthma.

After walks he pants, but doesn't wheeze, or throw up or anything, he is just out of breath for a whlie.

Our dogs are BARELY ever in collars since we crate them while we're gone and I don't trust crates & collars. Also if they wear collars, Chloe tends to get her mouth stuck in Dante's while they wrestle (happened twice before we decided no more collars in the house).

So they get put on for a walk and taken off right afterwards. It's been like that for almost a year now.

Edit: I also thought it could have been from the dust there. they usually replace the mulch once a month, but they haven't done so yet, so it was very dusty there. Whenever the dogs ran around they kicked up dust. And there were alot of dogs there for him to play with too...

Also wanted to add: His cough wasn't a "goose honk" as described when I looked up collapsed trachea. I was like "hacking" and some stuff came up.

Oh well, i dunno, I guess when I go into work we shall find out. I may bring him in tomorrow befiore they close. (On my day off! The things we do for these animals! LOL)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 12:22:23 AM by -Kelly- »
Someday I will have ratties again, until then, chaotic (yet fun) mama life keeps me busy!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 10:03:24 AM »
Collapsing trachea doesn't always show up because of a collar, it just tends to aggravate the problem.  :)  I think taking him in is your best bet so they can find out what's going on for sure.  We can speculate a lot, but we're just guessing, mostly.  ;)

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 12:59:46 AM »
I had a dog with a collapsing trachea.  It made more noise than anything else didnt seem to affect him much,  If I had to describe the noise it made me think he had a small leggo in his throat.   The vet also said it was breed related.

As far as using a harness with tags its not a good idea as it can cause ulcers where it rubs and the weight of the tags can make it hang sideways causing further rubbing.   I know you allready said you didnt have collars on in the first place just in case anyone else thinks about it.

I hope it was just the dust its entirely possible, and that fortunately is curable.