Author Topic: Need Opinions Please - Crates?  (Read 5051 times)

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Was A Rattie Mommy For 9 Years...
    • My FaceBook
Need Opinions Please - Crates?
« on: December 07, 2005, 03:42:47 PM »
I have always been one for crates, I love them. But my BIL is moving in with is and we have NO room to put them anywhere. I've tried every nook & cranny I thought they could possibley fit in!

We have a 3 season porch with a door (which I'd probably install a lock on). And we're on the 2d floor.

What are your opinions on leaving the dogs on the porch with a dog house or covered crate to keep them warm in the winter? And later I'd have t find a way to keep them cool in the summer. I can't leave them loose in the house, we rent and I am afraid they'd chew something.

There will eventually be a couch out there as well. I just don't know what else to do, as it is we have to find a place for the 169 gallon turtle tank that is in our extra room (also where the crates were) but that is going to be the BIL's room. I'm all out of ideas.
Someday I will have ratties again, until then, chaotic (yet fun) mama life keeps me busy!

Offline knuckles

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Lightening
Re: Need Opinions Please - Crates?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 04:48:10 PM »
isn't there some other place inside that you can "crate" them?  like shutting them in a bathroom when you aren't there??

Not only does outside (even "enclosed") seem  really bad weather wise, but also what if the dogs start barking and being a nuisance in the neighborhood??
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 04:55:37 PM by knuckles »

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 04:50:31 PM »
Personally, I believe leaving a dog outside on the porch is not acceptable under any situation.

It's not fair to the dogs obviously, or the neighbors, as I'm sure the dogs will bark up a storm.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 04:54:29 PM by Dearpie »

Offline Hedgehaven

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 04:56:09 PM »
Why not invest in collapsible crates (aka the suitcase crates) that can folded and tucked behind the sofa or under the bed when you aren't using them? That way the dogs can be in a safe environment that's heated and air conditioned during the time they are crated.

Dogs aren't really designed to be isolated from their family/pack environment and doing so could very well trigger behavioral issues. Not to mention health issues from being moved to a situation with more weather exposure.

What breeds are these dogs and how old?

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 04:59:21 PM »
I knew it was a bad idea to leave them on the porch. I wasn't really comfortable with it in the first place, I am the type who won't leave the dog out in the yard by themselves, and I probably wouldn't be able to go through with leaving them on the porch. I'll have to come up with something else.
Someday I will have ratties again, until then, chaotic (yet fun) mama life keeps me busy!

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »
Oh I didn't mean all the time, they are never isolated from us. They only go in their crates while we are gone. As soon as we get home they are let out. 

They are mutts, lol, love my mutts. And they are 1.5 and 2 years old. Medium to big(ish)dogs.

*sigh* I'll have to think of something else...

PS - the porch is over the people downstair's house, they don't have a porch so no coldness from the bottom and 3 of the sides are against the house. It's a 3 season porch, kind of like a sunroom, not an open air & railing porch. It's kind of weird to explain, it's like an extra room, only it isn't heated.

Just didn't want people thinking I was contemplating leaving them on a porch, guess i should have called it something else... ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 05:16:46 PM by -Kelly- »

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 07:27:11 AM »
I agree with everyone else.....

Buy some collapsable crates and set them up when you leave and shove them under the bed when you home.  Be sure you buy the kind that collapases easily, not the drop pin type.  Those take forever to set up and take down.  (we have one of both types that are used when we travel).

On the note of you can not close them in a room in the house because you rent and do not want to risk the damage......
They are just as likely to damage the three season room too....

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 07:25:23 PM »
Hey! I replied to this post, but it's not showing up.

Anyway, we are just getting a pressure mounted gate and keeping them in the pantry for now. We've been leaving them out for the past week and they've been fine (they've never been big chewers anyway, I just never wanted to risk it)

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 06:46:44 PM »
I was going to suggest either a gated off area, ex. kitchen or pantry or else another option for you would be an exercise pen.  These are much more flexible, lighter, easier to fold up and put away than a crate.  Also if your two get along they could be in the same one.

Offline andrea1970

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 03:30:06 PM »
Sounds like you found a solution to the problem.  If they're not big chewers that makes things easier.  My dogs would either chew through the gate or jump over it.  ::)

Andrea
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  -- Thomas Jefferson
Andrea DeJarnett

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 10:09:17 AM »
This gate it really TALL and metal. ;)

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 03:43:24 PM »
Glad you got it solved- here is another option for crates: . This is off the Clean Run website, but I think Target carries em as well- super easy to put up and take down. BUT- they are very light weight so don't work for dogs who dig in their crates, or would roll them around. It also helps to have a clip on the zipper if your dog acts up in the crate.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 07:49:51 PM »
those crates are not meant for dogs to be left in when unsupervised :) they are great when people are watching them carefully, but they will not realistically hold any dog in them if they really wanted to get out :)
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 07:42:14 AM »
those crates are not meant for dogs to be left in when unsupervised :) they are great when people are watching them carefully, but they will not realistically hold any dog in them if they really wanted to get out :)

I can second this thought.  I have a different brand of fabric collapsable crate and it works great at obedience trials, but I left my dog in it (inside a motor home) when I was at a horse show once and she let me know that she didn't like it in there when there were tons of dogs barking outside.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 06:15:43 PM »
Mine have done fine in them while left alone- guess it just depends on the dog.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)