Author Topic: What size cage?  (Read 5420 times)

Offline Katie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got Rat?
    • Playful Design
What size cage?
« on: December 17, 2005, 07:42:40 PM »
Okay... so I'm thinking of getting a rabbit in the future.

I was wondering what the minimum dimensions of a cage should be. Also, some links to cages would be great too.

I do have a few good rabbit care sites... but any other would be awesome!
.:: Katie ::.

Offline Caitlin

• Posts Too Much!
Re: What size cage?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 08:38:39 PM »
The best site is probably www.rabbit.org, in case you don't have it already.

I volunteer at my local HRS (House Rabbit Society) chapter, and have 2 rescue buns, plus a foster.  Personally, my rabbits free-range in my bedroom, and I'd give them more space if I could.  When I have to contain them (like in the case of my foster) I prefer puppy x-pens... much bigger than most pet store cages and cheaper than the largest ones you'll be able to find.  You can also think about building a cage out of storage cubes; take a look in the rabbit cage thread, DragonTamer has a pic of her storage cube cage in the first post.

So, basically, bunnies are not really cage animals in the same way rats are, and it's best to look for alternatives.  The rabbits at the rescue I volunteer at are in cages (for lack of space), and they have so many more behavior problems linked to boredom and lack of exercise than the house rabbits I know.

Hope that helped!  :)

Offline scrubjay

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 11:30:58 PM »
My two house rabbits have both been free-range too.  My current bunny is 11 years old and has gotten much more destructive and not as good with his litterbox habits in his old age, so now he has most of a bedroom and is contained with a puppy playpen across the room entrance.  The puppy playpens are a good way to go if you can't rabbitproof your whole house.  They really aren't as much fun as pets unless they can interact with you in the house and they are easily litterbox trained.  The House Rabbit Society has been crucial to all my house bunny years.  All 18 of them.

Offline Grace

• Posts Too Much!
  • Don't shop, adopt!
    • Graceful Moose Diapers
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 06:30:18 PM »
My two rabbits aren't "real" house rabbits right now, although once we're in our own place, they will be.  They have a large cube cage I built them, and they also get free range time for a few hours each day, basically whenever I'm home and able to keep an eye on them.

Over the past 13 years or so, I've met lots of rabbits, and lots of caging arrangements.  Our first rabbits were in those awful wire cages with wire floors, and only got occasional free range time.  A few years later, I'd managed to convince my mother to "upgrade" the living arrangements, and purchased a puppy exercise pen for the two rabbits we had at the time.  It made a HUGE difference in their attitudes!  Both rabbits went from being cage agressive/defensive, to being incredibly docile and easily handled. (Though, like most rabbits, they still didn't like being picked up)

Since then I've use x-pens, dog kennels, cube cages, and for a while used an entire spare room as a  rabbit cage.  All I can say is, the more room the better.  If you can't give your rabbits free range all the time, a large pen, or large cube cage is the way to go, but they will still need plenty of out time as well.

Here's some links on caging and cube cages for you
http://www.cavycages.com/ - Geared towards guinea pigs, but has good info on the cubes.
http://www.ontariorabbits.org/diet/careinfo2.html
http://www.bunnymagic.org/cages.htm

Visit us at Mainely Rat Rescue
Don't forget to visit our STORE