Author Topic: Patterns for Rat Hammocks and Snuggle Tubes?  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Fnordia

• You rang?
Patterns for Rat Hammocks and Snuggle Tubes?
« on: January 15, 2006, 05:02:22 PM »
As we all know, Dearpie on the board and many other people on the internet make and sell wonderful, beautiful hammocks for ratties.

I wouldn't want to take any work away from them, but I want to know if anyone knows where I could find a pattern/information to make my own hammocks.  Sometimes I see fabric that I would LOVE to make something for my rats out of, but I just don't know how!  Info on snuggle tubes would be great as well, ones like this:

I also have a few shelters in my area that have I've been told often have rats, other rodents and ferrets, and I'd like to be able to make hammocks to donate.

I don't know much at all about sewing (or I could probably figure it out myself!), but I've been looking for a new hobby and would love to learn.

This was mentioned in a thread before, here: http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,818.msg6611 But the links are old and no longer work.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 05:10:34 PM by Fnordia »

Offline Fnordia

• You rang?
Re: Patterns for Rat Hammocks and Snuggle Tubes?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 05:18:27 PM »
Okay, so of course, right after I posted this, I found a pattern online!   ::)

If anyone who has made hammocks before or knows much about sewing could let me know if this looks good, I'd appreciate it.  These are for ferrets, so if you could advise what size to use for rats, that would be great.

http://www.neferrets.org/hammock.htm

Also, still looking for a snuggle tube pattern!

Offline Fnordia

• You rang?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 11:52:32 AM »
Nothing?

Nothing at all?

But it's my Birthday!

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • owned by three rodentists
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 12:17:08 PM »
Ohhhh, happy birthday Fnordia!!!!! Enjoy your day!!
Well, I don't know how much you know about sewing but places like Joe Ann's always have basic classes available.
I made my own hammocks by just looking at some hammocks at the internet and I am not a great sewing talent. I also make "cubes" and my babies absolutely LOVE them. It looks like a cube and one side has a round whole so they can climb inside. One website www.dapper.com.au/hammocks.htm has pictures of hammocks but not really how to make them. They do explain a little bit how to make soft tunnels though www.dapper.com.au/rattoys.htm
Sorry, I know, that's not much of a help.

<br/>www.wonderrodent.com<br/>
"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline Fnordia

• You rang?
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 03:00:03 PM »
I know nothing at all.  I could probably baste something together in a straight line, but that's it.  My bf's mom has offered to teach me to knit, so maybe I'll take that up.  Although that would be a LOT of work for something for the rats to destroy!

Offline shadowlily89

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 04:34:35 PM »
I found this pattern online on how to make a pocket hammock. ANd kinda tweaked it to fit my terrible sewing abilities.

I make mine really simple. You cut a rectangle and fold the edges in to the middle so that you have two pockets. Just measure out how thick and long you want it and keep folding it in untill it looks like the right size you want. Then you take the sewing machine and sew up the two sides and tada! a hammock. I also cut a piece of felt the same size and sew the two rectangles together, then fold them in and sew a line again. Makes it fuzzier lol

ETA: that pattern you found is great btw. I just added my two cents because i think its faster and requires less talent lol. But you dont get that nice finished edge look.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 04:38:25 PM by shadowlily89 »