Author Topic: Yesterday's News Question  (Read 982 times)

Offline love2teach

Yesterday's News Question
« on: January 17, 2006, 09:03:24 PM »
:help:
Question One:
I just bought some Yesterday's News.  On the back it suggests that you slowly introduce the Yesterday's News by combining it with their old bedding for three weeks.  Does anyone do this or can I just switch over cold turkey????

Question Two:
Has anyone used Cell-Asorb?  I saw it next to the Yesterday's News and it is about half the cost.  Is it the same thing or is it a matter of you get what you pay for?

love2teach

Offline JulesMichy

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Yesterday's News Question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 12:07:28 AM »
I've used YN before. I just switched cold turkey. Perhaps they suggest introducing it slowly to check for any allergies.

I wasn't too impressed with it, personally. The side that the ratties use the most frequently gets dirtied up faster, and you have to use a spatula to just switch out that portion. If you use more than an ultra-fine layer, you end up with a lot of waste. But also, since it's hard pellets, a lot of urine leaks through to the bottom of the pan, so you get odor accumulation.

Cell-Sorb, I believe, is more similar to Carefresh than YN. I could be mistaken, though.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 12:10:31 AM by JulesMichy »

Offline twistedlittle-puppy

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Yesterday's News Question
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 12:21:01 AM »
I've used both. Cell-Sorb is like YN but a bit softer and the pellets are larger. according to the packaging, you can go up to 3 weeks w/o changing the litter. it's great for odor control, but I've never gone that long w/o changing it.

funny that the Cell-Sorb was cheaper. in every pet store I've seen, YN is much cheaper. that's assuming you are getting the cat version (the cat, ferret, rabbit, and small pet versions are all the same. just different packaging. intersting enough the largest bag of cat YN is only about $2-$3 more expensive than the smallest bag of the ferret version). i like both, but in my neighborhood, the YN is a better value.

I'm guessing you bought the cat version (correct me if I'm wrong). the cat version advises you slowly change the litter as some cats are finicky and may stop using their box if the change is too sudden.  i had a cat that used johnny cat litter for over 5 years. i switched her to YN and she hated it and refused to use the box till i changed it. some cats hate change. ratties don't seem to care. no need to change the litter gradually, unless you are trying to litter train them