Author Topic: HELP ME HOUSE TRAIN MY GSD  (Read 3354 times)

Agilityherders2

HELP ME HOUSE TRAIN MY GSD
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:22:21 AM »
Hi,
I have a 6 month old German shepherd. Her name is Cheyenne. Anyway She started this new thing were she goes potty on a towel in the back room by the door, We thought it was a good thing.. So we let her do it, Then she got older and larger (55 pounds larger) and we started yelling and making a big thing outta it instead of hitting her when she went by the back door, Her feelings DO get hurt but she still dose it. Can some one help me?
Amanda

Offline Sheppie

Re: HELP ME HOUSE TRAIN MY GSD
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 12:11:23 PM »
Hi Amanda - Basically, you are going to have to start over. Cheyenn is extremely confused because you are taking a learned behavior (going on the towel) and now teaching her it is wrong. I would start over with her so you can teach her that going in the house is not acceptable (this is why I never advocate using newspaper, potty pads, etc.---it's just confusing later on). In the meantime, can you put something in that spot (after cleaning it thoroughly with Nature's miracle or another enzyme product), like a chair or something that she can't move.

-sheppie-
ratties:Omega, Oreo, Cookie, Suggie, Mole and her 11 babies!
Rainbow bridge: I love you and miss you Cimmaron and Mocha

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 01:27:45 PM »
What Sheppie said....

Also, no need to yell at your dog.  Their hearing is better than yours.  A short quick "no" is all that is needed.

Offline heather_nsg

• http://www.myspace.com/poeticrat
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 06:49:04 PM »
When I correct one of my dogs, I don't have to yell. I just use the word NO or NAA and make it sound deep and growly and they understand that is a sign of your displeasure. You will likely have to start over and just walk her any time you take her out of her kennel crate. If she goes in the proper place, praise her lavishly. If she doesn't go after 10 minutes take her back in but keep a close eye on her. If she starts sniffing like she is ready to go potty take her out again and walk her until she does her business and praise her alot. Don't keep the towel where it was before and if she makes a mess scold her using a deep NO or NHAA! and then take her outside and see if she has to do anything else. If she doesn't then crate her while you clean up the mess. Use something that will help neutralize the smell like an enzyme cleaner. Repeat this many times, eventually she should learn that you want her to go outside not on a towel. Just don't keep any towels or newspapers or anything on the floor she might try to pee on them. Hope this helps.
Treasure life above treasure.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 09:59:06 PM »
above all - unless you are catching her actually GOING to the bathroom in the house, no correction should be given PERIOD - she wont know what you are correcting for.

its a little scary to think that you were hitting her?? (did i misunderstand that?) -- you originally let her go to the bathroom in the house, why should she now think its not acceptable?

she needs to be rehousebroken like she is a new puppy - and remember, that she still IS a puppy.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline DolciLady

• Posts Too Much!!
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rattie slave and lovin every minute of it!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 10:00:52 PM »
Also take her out, not just let her out.  And praise like crazy when she potties outside.  Dogs pick up on that kind of stuff quickly.  She's not peeing in the wrong place to aggravate you, she's going where you've essentially trained her to go.  Positive reinforcement works wonders and you won't be giving your dog a complex!  I thought I'd read somewhere that you do agility training...hopefully it's with love and praise and not scolding and confusion.  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 10:03:39 PM by DolciLady »
SugarBaby...my heart rat    The sweetest love I've ever known.

pigsandrats

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 05:27:16 PM »
Get a bigger towel!  :D

LOL Sorry I couldn't help it....

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 08:43:17 PM »
Does she have a crate??  I hope so, they are the best housetrainers.
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline piedmontpets

• Ritten
    • Piedmont Pets
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 10:08:53 PM »
Paper training teaches pups to eliminate indoors on paper even with the idea of eventually moving the paper outside. If the theory fails, your puppy will continue to associate the location in the house where you started-off rather than relating to the new location of the paper. Paper training lacks control, allowing for too many mistakes, which in turn exposes your puppy to learning unwanted behaviour.
Piedmont Pets provides crafted leather collars and leashes, organic catnip, cat toys, gourmet bones, pet treats and dog show bows.

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 10:10:07 PM »
Miss Agility isn't a member anymore, so I doubt your questions will be answered.

Anyway, I'd hate to say that and close the venue for discussion of housetraining german shepard pups.

In my experience, German Shepards need consistancy to stay trained, if you're not consistant they get confused and then stubborn 'cause they "KNOW what you mean, even if you don't"

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 11:37:55 PM »
I agree.  I will never have another purebred shepherd in my life.
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤