Author Topic: Clavamox  (Read 2501 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Clavamox
« on: January 29, 2006, 01:05:09 PM »
Has anyone every given this to kitties before?  Shadow is on it and hates it to no end.  I got the first dose in him alright... but the second dose ended all over the cat tree and dripping out of his mouth after he finished doing flips to get away from the syringe.  I put it in with some fancy feast today, but it must taste so bad that he won't even eat it that way.  Please help with how to give this sucessfully.  Due to the flips at the view of the syringe - just give it to him will not work.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Clavamox
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 01:54:39 PM »
Can you get pills instead of liquid?  Those are generally easier to get in than a liquid, especially with cats.  Cats have a knack for creating a lot of drool at will, and with liquid meds, this does mean it usually ends up all over the place except where it should be...

Offline ratzrkool

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 04:13:29 PM »
7 is on it now for a UTI- the pill version.  He doesn't like it but he doesn't like pills to begin with but  it's not as bad as it could be.  The pills to get super sticky if your kitty happens to spit one out.  Try holding your cat, who is already a bit peeved at you for trying to give him a pill, and the pill is stuck in his fur and your have to try and get him to swallow it all over again  :-\  When he was on liquid meds (alot of it because he weighs 20 pounds) I would give half to him and give him a little treat (like a whisker lickin) then give him the second half of the medicine (though it did involve me putting him between my legs and sitting on the floor).  Good luck!!!!
The ratz- Tippy, Spike, and Hazel  
~RIP Mr. C, Timothy, Fink, Dot, & Mo~~(   )8:>
The kats- Senior, Seven (the 24 toed wonder), Padfoot, Voltron and Finn
The dog- Yogi

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »
Ok, think I'm getting there.  I put him in the travel cage for a little big and surprised him with it this morning, completely forgot to do his eye meds too!  But working on getting as much of it in him as I can without ending up thrashed or erasing all the trust I gained in the past week with him!  Making sure to do cuddle time with him at other times in the day so that he knows we still love him and I'll have a slight chance of catching him to give the meds!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 10:47:46 PM »
I sit on them....well sort of.  I put the meds on the floor in the kitchen or somewhere slippery, if theres a syringe I fill it first.  Then I get the cat, kneel on the floor sitting on my heels with my feet together making a barrier to keep the cat from backing out.  I open my knees shove the cat in butt  first head out, then snug my thighs against the cat. I lean over the cat  pry the corner of the mouth open with my left finger using that hand to immobilize the head wherever it ends up usually against my right leg then I get the syringe and put it in the back corner of the mouth and squeeze they usually back up farther they are trying so hard to get out that they swollow the meds.  Pills are easier you take your finger and shove it down the side of the tongue to the back where the tongue lifts up they cant usually get it back out, and swallow it.

I have a cat with frequent mouth infections and has taken clavamox theres nothing like trying to get it off the ceiling and cupboards and funny none in the cat. But the dog loves it  ::)

Offline Dakota

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 10:55:11 PM »
Once you get the technique down, pilling cats is pretty easy.  You have to grip their head and jaw with your whole hand (I use my non-dominant hand) and hold the pill in my dominant hand with my index finger and thumb, and use my middle finger to pry their mouth open, and shove the pill down their throat as far as I can with my index finger.  Then I give them a few cc's of water from a syringe (have that ready before pilling) and a treat.  I usually do this pretty fast so the cat has little time to fight back.  After owning MANY cats and having class at the humane society (where almost every cat is on antibiotics), I got pretty used to it.
2 cats: Timmy & Borealis
2 rats: Bayley & Hunter
1 rabbit: Rocky (bestest bunny ever!)
1 turtle: Fillmore

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 10:57:43 PM »
I'm wearing that dose :-/

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 12:56:09 PM »
I use the same method as Forkyfork when I pill my cats.  It seems to work best.  I don't think I've ever had to do liquid meds, though.  But I've seen what happens when a cat REALLY doesn't want them....