Author Topic: Cats and vitamins  (Read 1542 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Cats and vitamins
« on: February 01, 2006, 07:51:15 PM »
I great up with a red tabby male who had problems with his eye.  My parents went through everything trying to figure out how to help him.  Contact with meds on it sewn into his eye (eyelid sewn shut for given amount of time), scraping film off the surface of his eyelid numberous times and other things I can't remember since I was young.  Eventually they put him on vitamin C and B12, human vitamins, crushed to powder and put in half a can of fancy feast each night.  That worked for him.  it was suspected that he was allergic to pollens etc.  I was wondering if these vitamins would help eyes/ uppper respiratory infections in general?  Also are these vitamins of anyway good for fur.  I was consider giving them to Shadow and seeing if it would help him too.  I know that giving these vitamins for an extended amount of time is not dangerous for cats since Purri took them for 10+ years. 

Let me know what you guys think.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Cats and vitamins
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 11:36:27 AM »
I'm really not sure.  If you have a good relationship with your vet, you might ask him or her to be absolutely positive.

Just a few things I can think of in general, though.  B12 is an appetite stimulant, so you may have trouble with Shadow always being hungry if you give too high a dose.  As far as I know, there aren't problems with C, as people take mega-doses all the time, and it's a water soluble vitamin, so what isn't used just sort of moves on through.  I don't know what effect that might have on kitty kidneys and such, though, and it may affect he pH of the urine, which, in some cats, may cause urinary tract problems, especially if they're prone to infections and crystals. 

Ideally, if you have a vet who is familiar with Shadow, they should be able to tell you what's right, and what wouldn't be harmful.  :)