Author Topic: Your Ratties favorite toys and treats!?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline ~matty~

• Ritten
Your Ratties favorite toys and treats!?
« on: February 02, 2006, 02:37:05 AM »
It would be great if you could post their favorite toys and treats...I need some ideas as my rat is getting borde with what i have for her...post picture if you havet them there always welcome! :BlueDumboSmileTongue: ~matty~ & ~ash~
~ash~

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • owned by three rodentists
Re: Your Ratties favorite toys and treats!?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 09:00:33 AM »
My ladies don't really play with toys but what they like are cardboardboxes (I close all four sides and cut two holes in it and put a few treats inside (cheerios, rice Krispies, Total cereal etc.). You can do the same with another cardboard box (open on one end), put toys and rags or old shirts inside, add a few treats and let them dig. I'll try the pea fishing soon (shallow bowl, add warmer water, put peas in and let your ratties  go fishing). I also bought PVC pipes and aluminium pipes from a home improvement store and they just love running through them. And I have the climbing post we made. I also toss a lot of blankets on the ground and they love running underneath. My girls have their own room and they are totally happy with just running, chasing each other and the more angles (since rats don't really like large open areas) I can create with boxes and all the tubes and blankets they are totally happy! They also love to climb around on me and in my shirt. Usually, rats also love empty kleenex boxes, toilet paper rolls to destroy. Mine are not chewers but sometimes they like to chew on wine bottle corks.
As for toys you can get great ideas if you walk through the small animal/bird/cat sections in the pet stores (wooden toys, chewing sticks, little balls etc.). But I would see first if they are chewers and what they do with toilet paper rolls before you buy expensive toys!

<br/>www.wonderrodent.com<br/>
"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline fuzzybee

• Posts Too Much!
    • Bella Sabbagh Illustration
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 10:16:51 AM »
I would have to say that the best toy is always... another rat!
You sound as if you just have the one, and this is not ideal for your girl.  Two girls don't cost much more, don't take up much more room, and will pretty much always be happier than one on her own.
If you really can't have a friend for her though, just keep changing things round, small spaces, ie boxes and tubes, are always fun, and  things to climb on.  Ratties are so bright, they need lots of stimulation, but as wonderrodent said, it doesn't have to be expensive - they'll play with any old rubbish!
Good luck.
My precious little friends: Oliver and Joe.      RIP: Mindy, Maggie, Inky, Lupin, Elgin, Badger, Foxy, Matilda, Henry, Lola, Fleur, Betty, Goody, Sammy, O'Malley and Eloise.
www.bellasabbagh.wordpress.com

Offline merlin7676

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 10:50:30 AM »
I just decided to make a "tunnel" system for my boys and they love it....I used pop boxes, cracker boxes, ect and cut out holes and taped them together. Now when I take them out to play they love running from one side to the other.

merlin

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • owned by three rodentists
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 11:10:48 AM »
Matty asked about "lonely rat" in the Rat Health question so he/she is aware of the lonely rat issue  ;)

<br/>www.wonderrodent.com<br/>
"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline scrubjay

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 10:50:47 PM »
I agree with WonderRodent--I make big castles by stacking boxes of different sizes together and cutting doors and ramps into them and taping them together.  It doesn't have to be fancy.  You can also throw an old sheet over the pile of boxes and they get all excited about that too.  The other thing some of mine never seem to tire of is a shallow water dish with rocks in it.  It is about 16 x 16 inches and an inch or two deep, heavy glazed ceramic--almost like a bird bath.  Mine love to play in there and pull the rocks out.

Offline FrizzleLover

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kissing ratties NEVER get's old!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 11:15:07 PM »
Mine I've discovered like cheez-its and ritz. I was eating some cheez-its and she dropped the treat I had given her and grapped the cheez-it right out of my mouth and began to munch....But you can give 'um anything...dried fruit, cereal, nuts, etc.
Play hard at the bridge Frizzle and Skittle.

Offline OrlandoBloomnut

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am no longer a ratty mom :(
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 12:37:21 PM »
hmmm lets see my girls fave treats are, mostly a little of my dinner ,but they also love banana chips ,broccoli,peppers, annnnnd lasagna flavored baby food,and i feed the baby food on a plastic covered baby spoon,
favorite toys would defiantly be cat balls the ones with the little holes with a bell ,i will hear them playing with them at night they are great fun to listen to wile you are trying to sleep ;D

hope that helps
Devon      oh how could i for get strawberry flavored soy yogurt sillt me
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 12:41:25 PM by OrlandoBloomnut »
I am owned by:
1 dog Misty
Gone but not forgotten:Diamond & Citrine. Quiche & Dini and now Sweetness
I miss you .

Offline Miss Mila

• Posts Too Much!
  • My Heart belongs to my Fur Kids
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 08:11:23 PM »
Like most everyone else my girls play in boxes of all sorts, pvc tubes, ropes, little brown paper sacks, paper towels, cat ball with the bell, they love climbing on rocks (good for keeping trim nails too), I made felt tunnel tubes, and large fat sticks to climb and chew on. I've got two major chewers so they get lots of material like pieces of old jeans and sometimes chicken bones.

As far as treats go right now they been getting a rotation of watermelon, sweet potatoe baby food, frozen peas, and frozen berries.
Owned by 6 Ratties, 3 Dogs, and 2 Cats.

Offline Cera

• Ewan & Finley
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 07:52:26 PM »
If you're looking for a treat that might also keep them busy (toy-treat combo), I'd say that your two best options are as follows....

1. Chicken/turkey bones
Holy cow.  My girls go INSANE for these things!  They'll just chomp and chomp and chomp, occasionally trying to hide the bone from their cagemate, of course. lol.  Make sure they're cooked well and that they don't have any sharp edges (you could always try to smooth down edges).  Leave a little meat on 'em, too - added incentive.

2. Nuts in their shells
Sometimes, you have to get the nut started for them if you have lazy rats like mine.  They seem to like pecans, however I personally have never tried anything else.

Good luck and have fun!