Author Topic: cat box  (Read 3065 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
cat box
« on: February 21, 2006, 02:34:52 PM »
Where do you keep your cat box and why?

We keep out cat box in the back room/ laundry room.  We're looking at buying a new house, looking for different ideas of where to put it!

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
Re: cat box
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 02:37:37 PM »
We keep ours downstairs in the furnace/mud room with the door taken off the hinges so it never closes. It's there so they can be out of the way and have privacy, as traffic through there is little, and feel comfortable letting their guard down.  It's also close to the garage so you don't have to take it that far to clean it!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 09:50:17 PM »
Ours is in the furnace room.  It has a cat door in the wall its trimmed out with the door molding, put there by the previous owners. Im glad because we have a dog that thinks the cat snacks with sprinkles are the best  ::)  She was getting through the cat door at first we had no idea she could fit, it was ROFL when we saw her trying to get back out in a panic.  So we had to put an insert in to make it smaller.  The door to the room is louvered so cutting a door out of it wasnt possible.

When our basement was flooded the cat box was in the laundry/bathroom. That was fun....not.

Offline Goosemoose

• Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Goosemoose.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 07:35:49 PM »
I dry-walled off a little area in the garage and put a kitty access door from inside the house into it. That way they can get into it. Then I cut a big whole for me to get in, and put a cabinet in front of it :) It's actually under the stairs, but it used to be part of the garage. I should probably take a picture :)
My Day Job: Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software - Allows any inspector using Windows or Mac to create easy to read reports that can be quickly uploaded online, or printed out on the job site.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 06:15:56 PM »
I dry-walled off a little area in the garage and put a kitty access door from inside the house into it. That way they can get into it. Then I cut a big whole for me to get in, and put a cabinet in front of it :) It's actually under the stairs, but it used to be part of the garage. I should probably take a picture :)

Thats a pretty good idea.  Never even crossed my mind.
*makes a mental note*    ;D

Offline norahl

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 09:45:20 AM »
Better late than never, but we just got a kitten.  We have a coat closet right off the family room (we're all in that room at night watching t.v. etc.) Well, it's about 5 feet long, the type with the big sliding doors. We leave it open several inches on one end and he just walks through the space to the box. The space is too small for my dog to stick his big blocky head through and the doors are too heavy and hard to slide discouraging my kids from bothering him. Our bathroom has too many odd corners and our basement is being finished and he'd get out if he went down there right now. Forkyfork has a great idea since we are almost at the dry wall molding part of basement finishing.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 06:56:17 PM »
I live in a one bedroom apartment (damned california apartments!!!), so I don't have a lot of choices.

I keep one in a closet (no clothes in this one!), and the other in a corner of the bedroom.  Needless to say, I try to keep them both very clean!

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 11:59:26 AM »
It's in my room as I'm in a one bedroom appartment as well. Basically I took a TV stand, put the litter box in it, then drape a blanket over it so the cat has some privacy. I use that crystal litter which is marvelous at odour control and I remove poops twice a day. No smell whatsoever. I also have to have to vacum this area daily because there is quite a bit of tracking.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 01:20:22 PM »
i have two bins downstairs in the bathroom that is the "animal bathroom", and one is upstairs in the rat room underneath the desk.

this way i can lock frankie and watson upstairs or downstairs if needed, and they have a poop bin.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline Elaken

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rats are my obsession!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 02:02:30 PM »
I put mine in the little laundry nook I have.  However I have to barricade it away with the containers of litter and food to keep my dog from snacking on the leftovers.  I wish I had more places to put it but there is nowhere the dogs can't get to it.
I was lucky enough to have been part of Willie's life and I am eternally grateful for the 2.5 years she gave me.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 02:04:59 PM »
I acutally just came across this online a few minutes ago and thought it was kind of a neat idea! I might do something like that in my house someday.