Author Topic: Rat-Sitter Directory -- Please help if you can!  (Read 80565 times)

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
Rat-Sitter Directory -- Please help if you can!
« on: February 21, 2006, 03:02:37 PM »
Post your information here if you are willing to be contacted about sitting for members' rats while they are traveling or on vacation.

Use the subject heading to advertise your location--city, state, and country

Please make sure to post:
1. What your schedule is like and when you are available
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive
3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging?
4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs?
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for?

Please do not reply to posts in this thread--use a personal message to contact someone and work out details.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 07:51:48 PM by mandycoot »

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • owned by three rodentists
Re: Rat-Sitter Directory
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 05:01:20 PM »
I am willing to rat sit in the Milwaukee area (Wisconsin):

1) I can check on the rats pretty much whenever and have time to play with them
2) I can also drive to your place
3) No kids, no other pets at our home. Just 2 female rats
4) At our house they could play in a play pen
5) I am not familiar with sick rats yet but I am willing to learn
6) I would be willing to care for other small animals and cats too.

<br/>www.wonderrodent.com<br/>
"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline TEK

• Posts Too Much!
  • QUACK!
    • Tekka Maki Rodentry
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 05:25:47 PM »
Taking rats into your home to "sit" is a huge "no no" as far as quarantine.  You're taking a huge risk and exposing your kiddos to whatever the other group has.  The only way this would work out is if the "sitter" didn't have any rats (or rodents of any sort) of their own, or if they came to your home and took care of them there (and then spent a few hours out of the house before returning home to their own animals).
Providing Companions, Not Just Pets For More Than 8 years!
www.tekkarats.com
www.dogguide.net

Offline TEK

• Posts Too Much!
  • QUACK!
    • Tekka Maki Rodentry
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 08:28:19 PM »
A different room is not enough- in actuality you may as well not quarantine at all.  It must be a *completely* different airspace in order for a quarantine to be effective.  Not the basement, not the back room.  If you have a heated/AC'd out building for example, that might work, however changing clothes and showering before you held your own rats would be a must. 

Of course it IS up to every person to decide what they, as an individual are going to do for their pets.  However, if you've ever seen what SDA or Sendai can do and how fast these illnesses can work, you may re-consider that policy.  We're here to be caretakers and do what's best for our kiddos - taking unneeded risks isn't in their best interest.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 11:18:40 PM by TEK too »
www.tekkarats.com
www.dogguide.net

Offline reso

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 10:39:03 PM »
so basicly even if you used a "boarding" house to take care of your rats while away, that isn't good either

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 11:37:22 PM »
Alright, I've updated the original post to pertain only to those willing to travel to care for rats. I assume if people need to work out another situation, they can do it over pm.

Goose or Suebee, think we can delete the conversations after a while and try to get the directory back into working order? ;)

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
Northfield, Minnesota, US
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 11:42:42 PM »
I am located about 50 minutes south of the Twin Cities, just a short ways off of I-35 on Highway 19.

1. I am only available from mid-June to late September
2. I am willing to drive up to about an hour away and will go to the Cities, however, the frequency may be every other day if the drive is significant
3. I can commit a few hours each day to provide care, stimulation and free-range time
4. I don't have much in-practice medical experience but I am always willing to learn
5. I have experience caring for dogs, cats, and some reptiles
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 11:48:11 PM by mandycoot »

Offline twistedlittle-puppy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 12:09:14 AM »
great idea! was wondering if people could also list professional pet sitting companies that have successfully cared for their rats. granted that i would prefer actual rat owners to most sitters, but my friend found a good one to care for her chinchilla (high maintenance critter here). it could be a good backup in any case. maybe it could be stickied along w/ the vet directory.

Offline TEK

• Posts Too Much!
  • QUACK!
    • Tekka Maki Rodentry
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 12:55:53 AM »
www.philapets.com
Located in Philadelphia, PA - they tend to all kinds of critters - from rats, to reptiles to sugar gliders to african greys.
www.tekkarats.com
www.dogguide.net

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 10:16:04 AM »
I've stickied the topic for now... :)

I wonder if Goose can set up a directory on the site similar to our Vet directory?

Offline ilovedorks313

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 12:46:59 AM »
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive
3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging?
4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs?
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for?

Duluth, MN until May 12th  then in Lakeville, MN til the end of August. 
1.  College Student, class til 5pm M-Th  I don't start class til 1 on MW 9-2 on F  availible ALL weekend.  After May I'll be working fulltime, but probably from 6a-2pm with 2 days off/week.
2.  Would like to stay in the Duluth area but I can go to Hermantown, Proctor or Superior.  After May I can go pretty much anywhere in the Twin Cities area (prefer south suburbs).  Willing to drive every other day AT least.  (I can go more frequently depending on your location)
3. I can spend lots of time on weekends and days off of work.  Time would be limited on school/work days
4. No experience with rat medical care.  Willing to learn (seriously considered being a vet tech until about 1 month ago)
5.  I've cared for cats, dogs, fish, rabbits, mice, lizards, frogs, turtles, horses (riding horses and draft), cows, pigs, chickens, goats, and sheep.  (summer job is working at the MN zoo Farm.) I'm willing to look after any of these animals as well.
Love has no opposite

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • owned by three rodentists
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 04:20:55 PM »
Good point about taking rats into your own home if you have rats. I was always wondering about that. So, I am updating my post response:

I am willing to rat sit in the Milwaukee area (Wisconsin) - up to 20 miles:

1) I can check on the rats pretty much whenever (I don't take them to my house since I own two rats)
2) I am willing to drive up to 20 miles, once a day, every day
3) I have time to play with them for about one hour a day
4) I am not familiar with sick rats yet but I am willing to learn. Of course I would go to the vet if necessary
5) I would be willing to care for other small animals and cats too (only experienced in cat care).

<br/>www.wonderrodent.com<br/>
"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline bubbleslovesfuzzies

Bristol, TN/VA USA
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 12:33:13 PM »
Location around exit 3 Interstate-81 VA.

Schedule is open almost always.

Can drive up to 50 miles with gas reimbursement. Also can keep rats at mother's rat-free home.

Can commit at least 1 hour per day probably more.

No experience with sick rats but I can follow instructions very well and am definitely willing to learn.

I have experience in caring for ferrets, dogs, cats, snakes, fish, rabbits, rodents, and chinchillas.
Adopt a rescue and save a life!

All we need is love...

So here's my freaky-deaky's:

Offline xedra77

Re: Rat-Sitter Directory -- Please help if you can!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 12:50:57 PM »
I am willing to rat-sit in Pennsylvania (Altoona Area).

1. I'm a teacher, so you have a good idea what my schedule is like. 

2. If I have to go to your house, it has to be within 20 minutes.  .  .although I'd consider further if I have a reason to be out that way (or if you're willing to help with gas).  I'd rather watch your animals at my house, I have pleanty of room to keep them separate from my own.

3. If I'm going to your house, I like to make it a longish stay to make the drive worth it, so free-ranging is a definate.

4. I have an excellent vet for all kinds of animals.  I have had some experience with ratty illness.  I have worked with rats with emotional problems in the past.  I have no experience with rats with handicaps, but that doesn't mean that I'm not willing to rat-sit.

5. My family currently consists of two small dogs, a cat, three anoles, and a husband.  I'm willing to care for any of these, but you'll have to find another sitter for your own husband  ;)  I also have experience with various other small animals, frogs, and snakes.  I don't do fish unless there are VERY detailed instructions, because I have problems keeping fish alive.
"You can drop humans anywhere and they'll thrive-only the rat does as well." - Jeannette Desor

0.1 Champagne Hooded  0.1 Beige Hooded
0.1 Himilayan                0.1 PEW
0.1 Blue Eyepatch         0.1 Odd-eye White

Offline Elaken

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rats are my obsession!
Tucson, Arizona
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 07:57:40 PM »
1)  My schedule tends to vary so that would have to be figured out as needed.
2)  I would drive up to thirty minutes, I would make the drive at least every other day but if it is close then every day.
3)  I could commit at least an hour each time I go. 
4)  The only rat medical care I have done is to administer medication, so I can manage that.  I would be okay with caring for a special needs as long as it wasn't too complicated.
5)  I have tons of experience with cats and dogs, and more limited experience with rabbits, ferrets, birds, and fish.  :)

I know how hard it is to not only find someone who is willing to watch rats but also had experience so I am always an option to Tucson people.  However I would hope to be more of a last resort then a first, if ever even needed.
I was lucky enough to have been part of Willie's life and I am eternally grateful for the 2.5 years she gave me.

Offline Wildfyre

Seattle, Washington USA
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 01:35:44 AM »
1. My schedule is very open
2. I could care for pets pretty much anywhere in the Seattle area. I use the bus to get around though we do have a car (gas is so expensive!).
3. Right now I could commit to several hours a day easily if needed
4. My medical experience stops at basic medication but I would be willing to learn new medications if needed
5. I've cared for rats, mice, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, cats, dogs, iguanas, snakes, turtles, horses, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, parrots, lizards, various amphibians, insects, spiders.... I used to pet sit for spending money when I was a teenager  ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 01:44:39 AM by Wildfyre »
:lurk:

Offline Maxxsgirl

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 11:57:10 PM »
I'm located in Weschester, NY

I'm available in the afternoon-evening hours

I will travel in and around Westchester (contact me if you're located around this area)

Time per day (and amount of times/day) is dependent upon how far I have to travel, although half an hour to an hour a day is expected regardless of travel time

I've medicated my own rats with the usual liquid antibiotics, and am comfortable with medicating other rats.  Explicit instructions should come along with meds/special needs ratties.  (And any animal, for that matter)

I have experience caring for mice, hamsters, rabbits, cats, dogs, and horses.
RIP Brindle, Chalky, Rocky, Raymond, Baby my baby, Tilty and Deja <3.
Owned by Binnie, Sophie, Lilee, and Samson

Offline Fish Frostin Momma

• Forum Enabler
    • Fish Frostin Momma's Tag World Page
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 10:23:06 PM »
Please make sure to post:

Hi, I'm Brandy, located in the Reno, Sparks, Sun Valley area in Nevada

1. I am always available.  My husband works during the day currently, while I stay at home and take care of bills and our babies.
2. I am always willing to drive anywhere your pet needs to go.  If you have a perferred vet in the area, I will be sure to take it there.
3. As I stated, I can commit alot of time, due to me not working currently.  I hope to instill as much free-range on your rat as I do all of mine.  I will quarantine them so they will have their own space, their own free-range area, and won't come in contact with anyone else but me or my husband.
4.  I worked in petstores for a while now, taking care of all their special needs and learning about each individual one.  I am more than willing to learn something about rats that I don't already know, infact I'm learning more about them everyday. 
5.  I've cared for dogs, hedgehogs, ferrets, cats, any small animal like mice gunni pigs, hamsters, etc.  I have cared for a vast knowledge of reptiles... but I have a policy against owning or caring for snakes for the time because I wouldn't be able to feed them what they needed.  I've tried and it broke my heart.

Offline Lacey

• Rat Lover!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 07:25:10 PM »
Northern California (Butte County)

1. What your schedule is like and when you are available -----I am open most of the time.

2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive Butte County...Once a day

3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging?A much as needed

4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs?I have some Medical experience, I will will be glad to take care of special needs.

5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for?Rats, dogs, cats, fish, goats, sheep, chickents, ducks, HORSES, cows....You name it.... and I have at some time in my life either owned or pet sitted for one.
There is a rat at the end of my tunnel

Offline Poisonetta

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands
    • My Myspace
Rat Sitter Ventura County, CA
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 07:54:57 PM »
I have 3 rats of my own, and have owned rats since I was very young.

I can sit anywhere in Ventura County and some places in Santa Barbara proper, but not other areas of SB county.

I also have experience with dogs, cats, small birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, and opossums.

I am available to rat sit  any time after 2 in the afternoon 'til whenever is needed. So, yes, there would be lots of time to free range.   ;D that's the best part of rat - sitting anyway, isn't it? I would make the drive daily! Rats need (and hog) all the attention they can get.  :BlueDumboSmile:

I have experienced a few sicknesses with my rats and know the ammount of care and dedication it takws to nurse a sick rat back to health. I also know how to get them to take their meds without fuss! (It's all in the food when it comes to little ratties. :) ) It would be a pleasure for me to take care of special needs rats.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 07:57:50 PM by Poisonetta »
The fuzzy ones have taken over my brain! 

"Giiiiiive usssss yooooggggiiiiesssssssss"

Mother and Companion to Joanna, Laksme, Tompkins and Leopold.

Offline Chesterroo

• Adopt another, until all are gone.
    • Artwork
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 07:36:32 PM »
I can pet sit in Pennsylvania, anywhere local.  I'm in Pottsville.

1. I'm available in the mornings and nights.
2. I can drive up to a half hour, twice a day.
3. I can spend quite a few hours
4. I work at a no kill shelter and am very used to medicating animals. All animals.
5. Any animal, dogs, cats, small animals, reptiles, and barnyard animals as well. 
Owned by:
6 Dogs- Scooby, Mazi, Compton, Austin, Chase, and Angel.
5 Rats- Ruby, Brady, Story, Raine, Basil.
1 Hamster- Little Meanie (Nasty Rescue boy)

Offline Courtney&Crew

• Ritten
Phoenix, Arizona USA
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 11:01:21 PM »
(modified 5/2008, I have relocated but am once again available for rat sitting and possible fostering for rescues)

Seattle, Washington

I have owned rats for about 4 years but am currently ratless.  I would be willing to rat sit in my home as it would be a clean and safe environment.  I have been away from the rat world for quite some time and I am not ready for more rats of my own but would love to help other rat owners. 

1. I leave home at 7:30am and return at 5:30 pm for work, Monday through Friday but I am home all day during the weekends.
2. I would prefer to rat-sit in my home (S. Seattle) but could possibly consider visiting your home if necessary.
3. If the rats come to my home I can spend as much time as needed meeting their care/attention needs before and after work.
4. My previous rats lived very long lives but did have some health issues (unfortunatly as most rats do).  I feel very confident in providing meds or special feeding if needed and would not hesitate to bring the rats to their vet if needed.  During the time that I owned my rats I was very active with forums and research.
5. I do have two dogs of my own.  Both are very well trained and are in a fenced yard during the day so they would never be left alone with the rats at any point in time.  I do have experience with rabbits as well.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:32:49 PM by Courtney&Crew »

Offline The Rattie Bunch

• Rats!
Brainerd/Baxter, Minnesota, United States
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2006, 11:55:55 AM »
1. What your schedule is like and when you are available: Afternoon and at night all year
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive: Across state if needed, depending on how often- we would have to discuss it
3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging? I can commit an hour or so, and free-ranging is fine.
4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs? I have experience in upper respiratory diseases and tumors. And yes, I'd be comfortable with it.
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for? Cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and, of course, fish

I'm thirteen, but very experienced with animals.

Offline SarahD

• EARPS Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2006, 12:06:08 PM »
www.earps.org

EARPS/Happy Endings pet sits in Indianapolis, Fort Wayne & Columbia City, IN...all proceeds go directly to providing medical care, supplies, etc for foster animals.  PM me or vegan_rat for more info.
mom of 7 rats
RVT at an all exotic specialty clinic
Founder of EARPS, Inc.

Offline BarbedDragon

• Posts Too Much!
  • To whom it may concern...
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 08:00:06 AM »
1. I am availible before 10 am and after 8 pm, depending on how far I have to drive obviously. I might be availible earlier as I might be changing jobs.
2. 30 min only please. everyday visits would be fine.
3. I can commit however much time needed as long as I am not late for work ;)
4. I would be fine with caring with a rat with special needs, I have a background working as a vet assistant, so I have no problems administering medicince, giving injections, ect.
5. I have experience caring for sugar gliders, lizards, frogs, snakes, tarantulas, fish (salt and fresh) horses, tortoises, game birds, large birds, small birds, hedgehogs, and of course cats and dogs. Basically anything cept maybe cows or piggies-but I could learn that.

Pending a further decision I might be accepting my old job back at the vet clinic making vet care for emergencies easily accesable. I am also within 30 min drive of airport emergency clinic (they know me well)

I will not be rat sitting until my rats lab results have come back and presented a clean bill of health as well as my quarentine period is over. (I will not rat-sit in my home without comprehensive testing and a recent visit to a competent rat vet *AND* I would have to accompany you for the visit)

My bestest friends are NEKKID!
Catering to Morticia, Harley, Quinn, Zim, Curley, Taterpants, Taco, Moose, Shrek, R2, and D2