Author Topic: Rat-Sitter Directory -- Please help if you can!  (Read 81623 times)

Offline MaatAset

• Posts Too Much!
Tucson, AZ
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2008, 01:43:34 PM »
1. What your schedule is like and when you are available
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive
3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging?
4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs?
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for?

I'm Stephanie and I've had pet rats ever since I was a little kid (am in my 20's now) and have always loved having them as pets.  I'm always happy to show people what great pets they make and have managed to turn a few friends over from hating rats to absolutely loving them!

My schedule is always varying these days, but I always make time to spend with the ratties.  We'd have to go on a case by case basis to find out what my schedule is like at the time :)

I'm willing to drive up to an hour away from my home, particularly if you are really in need of a sitter.  For distances over half an hour (one way) I would visit at least every other day.  Closer and I would visit at least once a day.

I can commit at least an hour a day to spend time taking care of the pets and allow some time for free ranging as well.  Just contact me and if I am not able to commit a lot of time at that time then I will let you know immediately.

I've had various rats with different ailments over the years.  I know how to give them medicine orally and have had to put ointments on as well.  Not at all familiar with injections though.

I have also grown up having fish and dogs in the household and can take care of them if need be.  I haven't owned a cat, but I have pet sit for a friend who has one on a number of occasions.  I'm pretty good at following directions, so if there are others to take care of, just let me know what they need, any contacts, and if I am uncomfortable with a specific animal I will let you know then.

Offline undine

• I'm a llama!
Re: Rat-Sitter Directory -- Please help if you can!
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2008, 11:40:44 PM »
Hi!  I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this here, but I DESPERATELY need a rat-sitter in Alexandria, VA for April 20th - 26th.

My husband just found out he had to leave town for work the same week I'm going to be out of town at my parents' in FL.

If you live in Northern Virginia and can sit six boy-rats for a week (we can bring them there, or you can come here), please let me know!!!

Thanks very, very much.

Jennifer

Offline kkay3702

• Ritten
Massachusetts
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2008, 12:33:35 PM »
I am willing to rat sit ;D...I live in North Reading, Ma (roughly 25 minutes from Boston). I will be 20 in may and I have had 7 rats.  I have 2 females now.

1. The only times I must be out of the house are for class (normally 11am-2pm) and on Sundays I work 7am-11am.  But other than that I can be home I usually am other then errands and such.
2. I would gladly drive to meet you half way if your more than an hour away.  Other then that I'd be able to pick them up.
3. Since I am home a lot I can give lots of attention to each rats.  My rats usually get to free range around my room for a few hours a day while i do my homework etc.  Most rooms are rat proofed.  I try to hang out with them as much i can, I mean who wouldn't :wink5:?
4. I've had to treat mine for a couple mico flare ups.  Most of the time its given orally some others in their water.  I'm a quick learner with medication, I also work with horses so I've learned a lot about that sort of stuff.  I would be comfortable taking care of a special needs rat.
5. Other then the two females I have now(my trio died a month ago they were 26months, 28months, and 30months :( ) I have a husky, Allie, who is completely rat proofed, shes always been around them so now she basically ignores them.  I never let them come in contact though just to be safe, instincts can kick in when you least expect it.  When I let my rats out she goes outside in the yard for a while (she doesn't complain she loves being outside, so it works out).  I also have a fish tank and I have a bearded dragon who hangs out. (yes yes i have a zoo but they are also a spoiled bunch)
I have experience with: parakeets, conures, horses, alpacas, goats, donkeys, dogs, cats, chinchillas, hamsters, gerbils, ferrets, guinea pigs, geckos, anoles, and a bunch of others lol
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:42:30 PM by kkay3702 »

Offline Kritter Mom

• Posts Too Much!
Ann Arbor/Novi area Michigan
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2008, 04:46:44 PM »
I currently am a mom to rats, cats and a leopard gecko

1. What your schedule is like and when you are available:
I'm available pretty much all the time, I do not work.
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive:
20 minutes max, everyday
3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging?
 Most days I can commit at least an hour
4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs?
I have no experiance with rat medical care, but I'm sure I can handle giving medicine.
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for?
 Cats,dogs, leopard geckos, fish, rabbits,guinea pigs, small rodents, small to medium sized birds, snakes.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:46:38 PM by furmama »
Clover,Daisy, Lily and Mama

Offline machined

• Ritten
Ottawa,Ontario
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2008, 06:47:45 PM »
Ottawa,Ontario or Hull, Gatineau.

1. What your schedule is like and when you are available im available almost all the time
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive with in my city.(ottawa,ontario hull,gatineau.
3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging? 2 hours a day or as long as you wish.
4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs? i do not have any experience but im willing to learn.
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for? i have fostered cats for the SPCA here where i live. i work for the SPCA here where i live so have taken care of alot of animals.

Pets name: Skye
Adopted by: machined

Adopt your own!

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
Downingtown/Exton/West Chester PA
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »
   I do work ft but most evenings are mostly open (and can work around other committments)
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive
   Up to 20 minutes once a day, twice if you are within 5/10 minutes
   => mornings are tough, however, evenings would be the longer visit
   Evening freerange can easily be done
   My rats are a disgustingly healthy bunch, but I have administered meds. 
   Special needs would most likely be fine, although I've done more special needs dogs than rats (we had a blind beagle).
   Cats, dogs, rabbits, mice, hampsters, gerbils, frogs
   Our current zoo includes a dog, three cats, a frog, a rabbit, a snake,
   and (latest count) 25 rats (3 with future homes, 4 to be adopted out, and 18 residents)
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline Heatherama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Empty
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2008, 02:19:38 AM »
READING, Pennsylvania

I'm a disabled veteran with no kids...all I do is doctor's appointments, so I'm free a lot.

About 30 miles / 1 hour away from home.  I'm in Reading, PA.  Zip code is 19606, I'm around an hour west of Philly.

1 to 3 hours.  I am unable to lift or carry heavy cages though.  I currently have a Martin's 695, and that is pretty much my limit for what I can carry or move around.

I have been a rat momma since I saw a sick little girl at a pet store in 1999.  The most I have had at one time was 24, and this was because we purchased a pregnant rattie from a pet store that was selling her as a "Large Feeder."   :o  I have had a couple ill babies that were on meds from the vet and special diets.  Also cared for tumor removal surgery rattie.  All of them are beautiful, and if I am capable, then I would love to care for a special needs baby.

Guinea pigs, mice, cats, dogs, anoles, fish, parrot.  Currently we have 1 dog (shiba inu girl), 4 cats, 2 girl mice, and 2 baby boy ratties.

I know I'm new to the board, but I have enjoyed the company of rodents for years now.  My animals are very special to me, and I do everything within my means to keep them healthy, spoiled, and happy.   :BlueDumboSmile:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 03:11:32 PM by Heatherama »
"...Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned... ~ Tyler"

Offline rowan138

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2008, 02:58:53 AM »
         Fort Bragg,North Carolina

1. What your schedule is like and when you are availableAlmost always available
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the driveAbout 30 minutes one way
3. How much time can you commit per day?an hour or so Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging?yes
4. What is your experience with rat medical care?giving medication Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs?yes
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for?dogs,cats,some amphibians,horses,goats,most small animals

Offline SashaEvangelina

• :)
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2008, 04:47:19 AM »
Tehachapi, California (Kern County, near Mojave)
(I will travel to Bakersfield, Palmdale, and Lancaster, or anywhere within an hour radius)

1. What your schedule is like and when you are available?
I'm pretty much always available, just ask :)
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive?
I can drive an hour there and an hour back daily. Further (as in to the L.A. area) if gas can be reimbursed.
I can spend at least an hour, whatever you're comfortable with. I can definitely spend enough time to allow free-ranging.
My boys have gotten tumor removals and get medicine daily. I'm totally up for caring for a rat that has special needs, whatever I need to do to make him/her comfortable:)
Other rodents, fish, cats, dogs, reptiles, and birds; but I'm open to pretty much anything :D

On a side note I will not hesitate to take your rat (or any of your animals to the vet), and will contact you to let them know that they are ill, I'm not just going to let your animal die.

Sasha
Momma to Panda and Echo :)

Offline Arda

Re: Rat-Sitter Directory -- Metro area of Kansas city
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2008, 04:01:14 AM »
Use the subject heading to advertise your location--city, state, and country

Please make sure to post:
1. What your schedule is like and when you are available: Pretty open to days, afternoons, and evenings upto 2x a day
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive: 20 miles
3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging? Whatever pet owner wants
4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs? I am ok with giving meds as needed
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for? Dogs, cats, hamsters, birds, not great with reptiles

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 04:06:16 AM by eagle41 »

Offline chiropteragirl

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Rat-Sitter Directory -- Any near Victoria?
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2008, 06:16:27 PM »
Any good pet sitters near or in Victoria, Canada? I'd like to be prepared in case I go on a trip.
My fat little cyber rattie:
   () ()
>(_)<
   ('' '')
   (   )~~

Offline leaveittoweaver

• Voice for the voiceless
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2008, 01:01:03 AM »
I'm located in the Capital Region of NY.
1. I'm available almost all the time. I'm an 18 year old taking a gap year before college and being jobless right now I have all the time in the world.
2. I much rather rat sit in my home. I really can't travel as I don't have my own car.
3. I can commit at least two hours out of cage time a day, consisting of my playing with the rats and of them just free ranging.
4. I can administer medication and am used to rats with paralysis and such. Of course this all depends on what your rats issue is as there may be some things I might not be too familiar with.
5. Hamsters, fish, cats, dogs, horses, goats, ferrets, rabbits, leopard geckos, panther geckos, green anoles, among others.

Offline ferretluver11697

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2008, 10:21:59 PM »

I am home schooled, so I am home most of the day to monitor and play with your fur babies.
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive? I would rather the pet stay at my house, but I could possibly be able to make one visit a day driving up to 15 minutes :confused: It's just cause my mom is busy and can't drive me everywhere.
3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging? I can commit up to 2-4 hours of playtime. 
4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs? I would be comfortable caring for a pet with medical needs, but do not have lots of experience. I have one ferret who has adrenal gland disease, but that's basically the only experience I have with medical issues in animals.
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for? I have pet sat and/or owned (own) ferrets, rats, guinea pigs, hamsters, and rabbits. I have owned dogs, but I can not take care of them in my home.

I am located in Herndon/Reston Virginia.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:24:00 PM by ferretluver11697 »

Offline LastEchoes

• Posts Too Much!
Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2008, 10:58:23 PM »
Los Angeles, CA

Work from home, so very flexible.

Depends in which direction. We all know how traffic can be in LA! But generally speaking, 15miles

1hr min. And yes to free range

I"ve owned rats for yes and have no problems administering meds or taking care of special needs rat. The most 'special needs' rat I've had personally was a girl with hind legs completely paralyzed

Pretty much all small rodents, dogs, cats, birds and reptiles. I"ve work in animal shelters so I've pretty much cared for them all, including some wild animals. Limited experience with lizards though.
My Zoo:
1 Cat
1 Parrot
6 Rats
2 Snakes
1 Scorpion

Offline kikie86

Hanover, IN
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2008, 05:12:41 PM »
1. What your schedule is like and when you are available: most of the time except for day classes
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive: cannot drive, but I can board animals you bring to me
3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging?: A couple of hours free-range play/day
4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs?: I do not have experience with rat medical care or caring for a rat that has special needs
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for?: hamsters

I will only be available in Hanover, IN until May 2009

Offline Fate Foretold

• Posts Too Much!
  • ♪ You've got a friend in me ♫
    • My Artwork
Schaumburg, Illinois - Chicagoland Area
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2008, 04:59:08 PM »
Perhaps, Mandycoot, you should make a list of everyone and where they live in the first post here, so it's easier for people looking for pet sitters.  You can link to people's individual posts by copying the link in the two pieces of paper icon next to the title of each post.

~

1. What is your schedule is like and when you are available?
My name is Jeanette, and I am currently a full-to-part-time college student (depending on how many classes I can get at once) and intentionally unemployed, so I have more free-time on my hands.  When I'm not in class, I'm usually always home at our apartment.  I live in the city of Schaumburg with my boyfriend Tony.  I am available any day, but am definitely more free during the weekends.

2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive?
I'm not willing to drive any farther than 40 miles or so, since I am still unfamiliar with most of this area (as I grew up in a small town in IL) and tend to get lost rather easily.  I can drive basically any time, but like I said, the weekends are best.

I can spend a lot of time with the animals, depending on my school schedule.  I'll be able to spend time with them any time I'm home.  I definitely would be willing to allow the rats to run around for play time in our bathroom, as I do with my own (not together, obviously).

I've yet to have any sort of reason to take my boys to the vet, but I am more willing to do so with any animals in my care.  We have an exotic veterinarian in this town who treats rat, which is very convenient.  If there is a special-need pet who needs personal care, I will do my very best for it.

Rats are really the only animals I've cared for personally, without the help of my parents.  Growing up though, my family had a number of animals, including dogs, a cat, a rabbit, a bird, hermit crabs, guinea pigs, and hamsters.

Added information:
I am currently 22 years old , and my boyfriend's 25.  I own 4 rats at the moment, 2 of which I'll have owned now for 2 years in the beginning of March.  I live in a well-kept, clean, and very spacious apartment.  I am a very big animal lover and have been since childhood.  I worked at a dog kennel for a year for my first job, and had a lot of experience with handling both the dogs and cats that were taken there when their owners were out of town.  I am willing to watch other animals besides rats, so long as they are friendly and will not cause any sort of damage when I and my boyfriend are away.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:18:26 AM by Syren Song »
-Jeanette

Offline rats rok my world

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2008, 07:36:46 PM »
Hey I LOVE RATS I will take care of some one elses ratties (no more than 12 months LOL :hyper:)I live in the charlevoix area in michigan IF you live in my area Email me at Rats_\rok_\my_\world@hotmail.com(take out the \) Ill tell u the info if u email me :wink5:bye bye :wave2: :'(I dont wana leave   

Offline turtlescales

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2008, 08:47:07 PM »
I live in Reno NV, and can rat sit anywhere in Reno/Sparks, but if its really far from my place, I may need you to help me out with gas $$ :)

Due to the time I have available, I would prefer to do only short-term sitting. (no more than 1 week)  I work M-F, 9-5 and sometimes until 9pm.  I can only commit to about an hour a day as a minimum, I can check morning and night on your rats and give them loves and kisses.  I would be able to do more for them on weekends when I do not work (usually dont work..)

Sorry, I am not willing to bring other rats into my home. Space here is an issue right now, and I do not want to unnecessarily expose my rats or yours to anything.

I am unfamiliar with rat medical care as of yet.  I have extensive experience with reptile and bird first aid, as well as dog and cat CPR. I can perform CPR on cats and dogs, as well as lizards, turtles, and snakes. (Not kidding about the snakes... it can be done :). Giving medicine to a rat can not be much more difficult than say, a 5 foot long angry lizard who is too sick to want to eat..

Animals I am familiar with (have either worked with or owned... Zoology major farm girl who practically grew up in a zoo)- all non-venomous species of snake, turtle, lizards, and amphibians.  Dogs and cats, all ages.  Rabbits, cows, horses, chickens, quail, pigs.  Birds, from finches to cockatoos.  Tropical fish, gold fish.  Um... I may have missed a couple.

Offline roseblite

• Research!
    • Rose Blite
New York, NY, USA
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2008, 01:29:42 PM »
1. I am a graduate student so I am very busy but pretty flexible. I would probably be taking care of the animals in the evening.
2. I have no car but I can go where ever the subway/bus (MTA) system can take me, and my bike.
3. I could probably commit 1 hour a day with free range included if there is a playpen or some sort of enclosure device so that I can catch any scared ratties without having to chase them all over the place :-) And also facilitate cleaning up any mess they leave behind.
4. I have no rat medical care yet as I am a new rat owner but I did have to administer subcutaneous injections on my pet turtle several years ago after she was attacked by a more aggressive turtle to prevent an infection from forming. I am pretty calm in states of emergency and have been CPR trained 3 times. Just leave the vet 24 hour number and the vet you use for check-ups and and your personal number if there is any cause to worry about the animals health they will be taken care of.
5. I have had dogs, cats, turtles, fish, frogs, toads, iguanas, anoles, snakes, and water snails. I'm not afraid of animals. I am allergic to (most) cats and (some) dogs. I have been hired as a dog sitter before with a difficult dog that wanted to eat my boyfriend but was able to assert myself as a dominant creature and she bonded to me very quickly. Introductions with her had to be done though before the owners left town.

I live in Brooklyn (Bay Ridge) off the R line. If I move I will edit this post to state my exact neighborhood in the New York City area.

1 PEW female- rescued from being sacrificed at an animal facility
1 black hooded female- adopted from a loving home

Offline Tenshi

• Ritten
Columbia, SC
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2008, 04:31:28 PM »
1. What your schedule is like and when you are available.
I am a SAHM, so my schedule is pretty open.  I am available all day and all year, unless I, myself, am on vacation.

2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive.
The greater Columbia area is pretty big, so I would limit myself to this area.  Columbia, West Columbia, Lexington, Irmo - anything within a 30 minute drive and I can make the trip once to twice per day.

I can commit to over an hour at each trip.  Mid day is when I would have the time allotted for free-range play.

I have no experience with rat medical care.  I would be comfortable with a special needs rat as long as I was given explicit instructions and spent time with the rat and owner to observe the specific care that the animal would need.

I have vast experience with cats, dogs and reptiles (snakes, bearded dragons, geckos).

Offline rats rok my world

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2008, 12:49:07 AM »
Postin again I live in michigan (charlevoix) I will let the rats run around and I wont keep them in the cage ill be holding them probly unless im busy then Ill let them free roam

Offline ThaRatChick

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Blackers :)
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2008, 07:02:50 PM »
Im in central WI. Im a teenager

1. I can pretty much check on rats almost any day
2. Lets keep it near Stevens Point <no more than 15 min away>
3. I can dedicate probably an 1/2 hour a day more for cage cleaning. If in my home i can hang with them for awhile.
4. All the rats i've had had been quite healthy until they died. I can administer meds. I can care for special need rats with detailed instructions.
5. I am good with dogs. I have had a cat, bunny, guinea pig, and gerbil. And how hard is it to care for fish?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:58:07 PM by ThaRatChick »
It's ASA!EXCLAIMATIONPOINT!

Offline Ilanajoy

• Ritten
Buffalo, NY USA
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2009, 10:22:40 PM »
Buffalo, NY

Full time work 40 hrs, 8:30-4:30.  I could check in on rats in the evenings, but would prefer to have them in my home.

w/in Buffalo and Northtowns. I do have a car, but would require gas reimbursement for long drives. (i.e. Niagara Falls, Southtowns)

I do work 40 hrs a week, but I'm there mornings, evenings and weekends (plus my husband is around days, and he loves rats)

I have given medicine to rats before, and have a rat-vet,

Dogs, cats, fish ( and i love ferrets)

coliekumar

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2009, 09:15:47 PM »
CHICAGO, IL
I am a college student with classes on wednesdays, thursdays, and fridays.

I can go everyday, but must use the CTA train or bus in northern Chicago only.

I can commit a couple of hours each day except for Wed.  I could only stop by on Wed, but can spend as much time as necessary on the weekends.

I have no experience with special needs rats, but would be happy to discuss it with you and see what we could work out.

I have rats, ferrets, mice, cats, and a foster guinea pig.  I have experience with dogs, but hate giving walks, so I am not really an ideal sitter for dogs.

I am doing this to pay for my fosters as well as my own pets and rescues, as well as to help out any ratty owners who need it.

Offline Kitsune

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2009, 08:34:35 PM »
Colorado Springs, Colorado and Logan, Utah (starting7/1/09)

Anytime.

anywhere in the springs and all of cache valley

30 minutes to an hour and a half. Overnight or extended care visits negotiable. in home stays at my house will be on a case by case basis.

Previous Veterinary Technician and lots of research and exposure to cancer care and geriatric needs in animals. Not much scares me in the animal care department.

dogs, cats, gerbils, hamsters, avian(domestic and hunting birds), exotics, horses, goats, chickens cows, pigs..name it, I've either cared for it in the veterinary field or had it myself.

While in Colorado springs I'm working for a licensed, bonded and insured company called Fetch! pet care. go to their website (http://www.fetchpetcare.com/) and request me from my home office.  If you get me after our move to Utah I won't be with Fetch! pet care anymore since they don't have a  franchise there but the same experience, care and expertise will be there. Prices in Utah will be based on gas reimbursement and an affordable care fee. I also have references. I've also been and early care/socialize for a private German Shepherd breeder and a private pet sitter for several veterinary clients that doubled as house sitting. 
Tass and Mhera, sweet baby girl rats<br />Sam and Pheobe, the cats<br /><br />If you really want something, and really work hard, and take advantage of opportunities, and never give up, you will find a way. -Jane Goodall