Author Topic: Need help picking out a cage...  (Read 6419 times)

Offline LadyAtriana

• Ritten
Need help picking out a cage...
« on: December 12, 2005, 05:28:20 PM »
I will be adopting a pair of ferrets after the New Year (get to meet them this weekend, and am excited about it).  I was wondering what a good cage for the two of them would be?  I want something roomy, so they have plenty of room to play.  About how much room is needed for two?  The male is a good sized boy and the female is fairly petite (they are both altered).  Thanks!
Atriana and Crew:
Einstein (the dog)
Jackie, Judie, Rubie, Jade, Fluffy, Dot, Poleon, Nefertari, and Abu (the rats)

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
Re: Need help picking out a cage...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 08:44:14 PM »
I would check the ferret store; they have a wonderful website and, I believe, free shipping over $35.  We have a link to it; just go into Pet Stores, click rats, the ferret store will pop up (with several other stores).  If you click through this site, Goosemoose gets a small percentage of the sale to help maintain this site. 
I recommend steering clear of SuperPet unless you are willing to consider their largest cages. 
You can also check out martinscages.com; they have wonderful ferret cages too. 
The general rule with cages; get the largest you can fit, clean and afford.  The more room an animal has, the happier it will be.
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline Pit_Luvs

• Rats, a Girls Best Friend
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 04:31:00 AM »
I have the Ferret Condo from Martins Cages and it would be perfect for 2 ferrets, i personally have 3 in mine and i wouldnt go over that. I heard someone say its ment for 6, but i wouldnt put that many in it. They are easy to clean, big doors, have 3 levels and are powdercoated. They also look pleasing to the eye if you have them in your living room, they look very sturdy too! I found they were easy to put together.

I used to have a cage build from cube shelves, but Peek our little girl could slip right threw them. They are a great way to make a HUGE cage for your ferrets and you can always add to them, but you may have the same problem as me, with a tiny female ferret comming to your home lol

Offline PA_ratman

• I'm a ratman, baby!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 05:13:56 AM »
if you don't mind the money the best cage is called ferret nation.  It is sold on theferretstore.com if you can't go that route go to martincages.com
Pets:
Hurricane - chocolate berkshire male
Raven - chocolate self male
both born 9-13-03
Rogaine - hooded hairless male

Offline LadyAtriana

• Ritten
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 01:17:44 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I really like the ferret condo from Martin's.
Atriana and Crew:
Einstein (the dog)
Jackie, Judie, Rubie, Jade, Fluffy, Dot, Poleon, Nefertari, and Abu (the rats)

Offline Sunilata

• Posts Too Much!
  • one tough lobstahgirl
    • Island Gliders
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 06:21:56 PM »
I just got the Ferret Nation and I love it, especially the full-access doors. Before that, I housed my ferret (I just have one) in a Martin's Ferret Villa and that was alright, though a bit on the small side. But he's a houseferret and he's hardly ever caged, so it works. :)
islandsugargliders.com

Offline Lmbswimmer

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 09:40:08 PM »
I love the Midwest cages.  There is a company that sells them through e-bay for a good price.  If you froogle the shelves you can get extra shelves for not a lot more.  The cage is easy to clean and rearrange, and the doors are big!!  Have fun with your new ferrets!!  Then you can add hammocks, hidey houses, etc... and lots of room for a litter pan.