Author Topic: Mouse behaviour question  (Read 2319 times)

Offline E!!

• Posts Too Much!
Mouse behaviour question
« on: March 09, 2006, 11:04:49 AM »
So this is about mice and not rats, but I am just curious if anyone has seen this type of behavior. Where I work we have three mice, a momma and two (full grown)babies. Momma mouse recently passed away from old age (she was right around two years old) during the night. When I came into work on monday morning I check on the mice and no momma was in the cage. We had been expecting her to pass, so everyone was checking and i just assumed that someone else had put momma mouse to rest. Well, when I started to clean the cage I noticed that the body was still there, just burried. Literally burried in the substrate. I check around and momma mouse was alive at closing on Sunday, so this happened over night. Has anyone ever seen this before? It looked like a very dileberate burrying of the momma mouse...

edit and move - kmw - put in appropriate place, clarified subject
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 11:35:08 AM by kmw »

Offline dwankrista

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Mouse behaviour question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 12:07:07 PM »
yep yep, this is actually quite common.  mice usually do one of two things when their friends die, both in the wild and when domesticated: they either bury the dead or they cannibalize.  the most common i've seen is a dilberate burying of the mouse who has passed.  i'm so sorry for your loss.  :(
Play hard at the bridge, my sweet Janet Weiss, Magenta, Betty Monroe, Columbia, and DeeDee...remember, it's just a jump to the left...

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Mouse behaviour question
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 03:48:42 PM »
I know nothing about mice...but I'm sorry about your loss!