Author Topic: question for the spiny mice experts...  (Read 2485 times)

Offline osutigeress

• Posts Too Much!
question for the spiny mice experts...
« on: March 12, 2006, 06:50:32 PM »
When I got my new rats, SCarlett and Grey, from my ex boyfriend, he also gave me the two cages he had for them (I talked him into building them a larger cage so they'd have more room to play)...so, I have this cage : http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441781545&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026365&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023695&bmUID=1142207044216&itemNo=3&Nao=0&Ntt=home&In=All&previousText=home&N=2+39&Ne=6 it looks like the one on the left...only w/o the wheels and house thinggie...anyways...I have been looking to get a bigger cage for my spiny mice and was wondering if this cage would be ok for them...there are only 3 of them, but, I am hoping they would have more fun running around in this bigger cage.

"I feel as if i am looking at the world from the bottom of a well..."

"I am beautifully broken and I don't care if I show it"

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
Re: question for the spiny mice experts...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 07:22:40 PM »
I would honestly say they will more than likely escape through those bars. I've had normal mice get out of cages like that, nevermind spinies!

Spinies (and other mice) are best kept in aquariums. They are escape artists.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
Re: question for the spiny mice experts...
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 03:27:29 AM »
spiny mice are larger than domestic mice.  However, I'd be more worried about them chewing that flimsy plastic bottom up to get out.  They're big time chewers. 

You can use wire cages, or even build your own!  Just be sure the wire bars are 1/2 inch wide and not flimsy for adults, and 1/4 inch wide by 1/4 inches for babies.  I build my own sometimes using hardware cloth.   They also will chew any covering on the bars off, whether it be vinyl, or whatever.  Also the cage wire needs to reach all the way to the bottom of the plastic bin, because they'll attempt to chew out.  They definitely are escape artists, so you can't leave any way for them to be able to escape!