Author Topic: steroid kitty  (Read 2440 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
steroid kitty
« on: March 14, 2006, 11:05:35 PM »
I woke up this morning... 2 hours after the cats played chase games running over top of me.  Sat down in the living room and called Shadow to me.  Before he even got to me I saw he had a raw spot under his front leg with about a 1/2 inch diameter.  Ok... so I'd just called the vet's office asking about my interview from 2 weeks ago... Time to call back and go in! 

Shadow has very tender, sensitive skin so I pay very close attention to it.  Nothing was wrong with him to this extent last night - just some of the normal scab areas he's had that have been getting a bit better. 

So... I got him an appointment for 45 minutes later.  He doesn't act like anything is wrong other than being mad about being in his carrier.  Rubs and loves on the tech and the vet - but bite at me when they tried to take his temp - can't blame him, he knew where they were trying to stick it!

So... He got a steroid shot, I put some flea meds on him since the season is starting and I've seen one.... 

So... she thinks it might be allergies... but we have no clue to what!  I've never seen anything cause a cat's skin to react like this.  The only itchiness he shows is licking and liking to be rubbed.  He's the sweetest cat I have ever come across. 

Anyone have any clue what the allergies might be?

Offline LordShrike

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich benutze Internets!!!
Re: steroid kitty
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 11:08:45 PM »
If you let him outside, maybe it's some sort of grass? This was the case of my dog a few years ago.
That really sucks for Shadow, hope you find out what it is. :-\

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 11:13:59 PM »
He, along with my other 3 cats are all indoor cats.  He had the skin problems even in the winter.  So don't think it's pollen like the cat I grew up with.  I just don't know...  Nothing bothers him - except meds - his eye infection cleared up, now just to fix his skin problem.

Offline ratzrkool

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 03:18:06 AM »
My friend had this happen....only, it was a dog (Pomeranian named Gimli).  He had developed raw spots over his body and itched them and made them worse.  She took him to the vet and they put Gimli on steroids and it all healed up.  The vet said it was probably and allergy to fleas, even though Gimli had been treated for fleas.  My cats are strictly indoor cats but I still treat them for fleas. Once in a great while I will see a flea in the house. I figure they come home with me or just come in from the great outdoors.  Good luck with Shadow!
The ratz- Tippy, Spike, and Hazel  
~RIP Mr. C, Timothy, Fink, Dot, & Mo~~(   )8:>
The kats- Senior, Seven (the 24 toed wonder), Padfoot, Voltron and Finn
The dog- Yogi

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 06:41:22 AM »
My dog has been prone to "hot spots."  It's a spot that itches (possibly from allergies); then they scratch, then it gets more raw, so they scratch and lick more, then it gets worse and REALLY bothers them, so they scratch it.................................
I have used Bag Balm with good results, but cats are such lickers.........
If it's constant flea season where you live, don't wait to see them.  Use the preventative once a month.  We had a very late winter here in the Northeast, so I had my dog on flea preventative until January.
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline Lmbswimmer

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 06:59:54 AM »
It could be a food allergy, I suggest talking to your vet about completely changing the food.  My dog has food allergies.  He is also allergic to grass, fleas, benedryl, etc.... So, he sees a Chinese herbalist for some suppliment for his internal swelling and for acupuncture, and he sees a doggie allergist who did the skin tests (which are only so accurate).  He is currently I think on kangaroo based food.  It is insanely expensive.  (I say I think because he's technically my mom's dog, he lives in VT with her, but I grew up with him). 
It took my parents 2 years to figure out which diet worked and which didn't.  My dogs condition was so bad he had no fur from his elbows down on all 4 legs from the hot spots and the licking.  He is starting to grow back the fur, it has been 5 years for that.
Good luck, diagnosing the allergies sometimes is very easy, others very difficult.  My dog can't eat chicken, beef, pork, lamb, wheat, or rice.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 08:14:43 AM »
We do get winter - so not really year round fleas - and I don't want to treat year round since Shadow is so sencitive and when I put the flea meds on it it causes the hair that was where I put it on him to seem to get thinner.  I'm considering getting them on the 6 month shot of control.  But we're till talking about it.

Offline norahl

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 08:05:39 AM »
I had a cat that was allergic to everything. Always scratching and terrible dandruffy skin.  My dog is also allergic year round.  Grass and pollen in the nice weather, hot spot from dry heat in the winter and Vet will not use steroids on him because he had mange as a puppy (thinks he may have an autoimmune problem). Luckily neither is allergic to benedryl!

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 12:29:15 PM »
The hot spot faded fast.  his scabs are getting better and he seems like he's feeling great!  Guess the shot is what he needed.  We also treated the first few fleas of the season so that probably helped too.