Author Topic: Glade candles dangerous?  (Read 6129 times)

Offline Nillithwen

Glade candles dangerous?
« on: March 22, 2006, 02:42:11 PM »
I have heard that Glade scented candles can be deadly for birds. Does anyone know if this is valid? :confused:

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Glade candles dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 02:50:44 PM »
I have heard that as well. I've also heard about non-stick cookware being toxic to birds if heated over a certain temperature, as it will emit poisonous fumes. Birds, as we know, have very sensitive repiratory systems and many bird owners I know are very conscious about avoiding those products, and most others that emit fumes or scents. I think the supposed problem with Glade is that they contain a lot of essential oils, which judging from the negative reposnses of many people who have issues with certain oils, I wouldn't be surprise if certain oils gave birds respiratory issues. I've heard stories about people who have developed respiratory infections from exessive use of Glade Plug-Ins--I imagine it's akin to incense, which many people I know can't be around at all! If you've got sensitive lungs, so much the worse. I really can't say personally if it's valid or not, but if there's a question about it I would always avoid the product in question just in case.

Offline Colubridz

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 11:23:08 PM »
Yup, you heard correctly. Any sented candles, air conditioners and any no stick cockwear are all toxic and should never be used around your bird.
I've heard quite a few horror stories of people who have lost thier forever friends in miniutes after not being aware of the dangers and cooking while they were out half way across the room with non stick cookwear.

Offline Tracy

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 09:30:11 PM »
Parrafin candles (what most are made of) release bad hydrocarbons.

I only use soy candles now in the big room where the birds are. No toxins are released when burned and I feel safer.
What does not change is the will to change.
Rescue Rats Looking for Love

"People who want their Children to experience the Miracle of BIRTH should first come to an animal shelter and Witness the Sadness of Death/Euthanasia"

Offline donna4909

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 12:28:45 AM »
I make paraffin, soy, and palm wax candles, and I have a bit to say here. The EPA is still doing studies, but there's just no conclusive evidence at this time that soy is any healthier than paraffin. It's one of my pet peeves when soy chandlers bash paraffin waxes. This is taken from IGI's website (they are one of the largest wax suppliers in the US)

"As vegetable wax proponents seek to establish market share, there is a misconception that it must be done at the expense of paraffin waxes.  Various manufacturers who utilize vegetable wax materials, have launched aggressive marketing campaigns designed to “disqualify” and “discredit” petroleum wax.  Unfortunately, their negative publicity campaign has resulted in numerous misconceptions and generally unsupported scientific claims being promoted.  It is important to clarify that both paraffin and vegetable-based waxes have been found to be biodegradable, safe, and effective when used in well-designed product systems. "

Soy candles can produce soot just as bad as paraffin. If you don't have the proper wick, fragrance percentage, and burning conditions, any wax will produce soot. It's just harder to see with soy, as soy soot is usually white, but soot is soot. A properly created and properly burned candle will not produce soot, regardless what type of wax.

Any time you burn anything, you are releasing something in to the air. Even if it was determined that soy does not emit anything, the fragrance & wicks are still being burned with the wax. I personally would be more worried about the fragrances around birds.

Offline Celeste

• Artistic Licence
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 11:33:22 AM »
any oil-based air freshener is dangerous. 

one time my parents, for whatever reason, let a vaccume cleaner salesman into the house.  this vaccume cleaner he was pedling had an air freshener feature where you put a small packet of oil-based air freshener into a compartment on the vaccume.  i was so pissed.  i went into the living room and took Sora's whole cage and carried it into my bedroom and closed the door with a towel under it.  and before i left the room i yelled at them that air fresheners could kill my bird and if he got sick or died i was gonna sue them
shes a painting outta focus
with no good sense of intention
shes a poem without meter or rhyme
a random design of a flower
like a rose no one really knows
shes so innocent
but guiltys her plea
everybody wants to save her
from herself
they really want to save themselves
rockabillychick.deviantart.com

Offline Abarat

• The Abarattery
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 10:05:28 AM »
I ONLY use non toxic cleaners, soaps, candles, shampoos, etc in my house because I have birds and rats, both respiratory sensitive.  I'm really happy with the line I use. :)
"The Truth is Out There"

Offline ROCK_HEAVEN

• Ritten
  • have 2 go 2 pet shop to get shot 4 ggar virus
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 10:25:35 AM »
I heard that anything scented like candles and cleaning materials r dangerous to any animals, so i suggest u use non- scented stuff as often as possible
SbKiUrLdL HlEoAvVeErN
(big letters one saying, little letters another)