Author Topic: Pregnant Rabbit?  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Louania

Pregnant Rabbit?
« on: April 09, 2006, 04:45:47 PM »
Today we flipped over my youngest rabbit and realized that he is most certainly a boy (after being told that he was most certainly a girl). :shocked2: He's a few days over three months. My girl rabbit, who is about six months, has been a bit aggressive and pulling hair. Is it possible that she could be pregnant?

Right now we've separated the two in different cages and we're basically going to treat my girl like she's pregnant until we know differently. I plan to take her to the vet next weekend.

I was curious if there's anything I should do for her that I wouldn't do normally. Does she need a diet change or anything?

Please help!

Offline taku

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: Pregnant Rabbit?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 05:15:28 PM »
Separating the two was the first thing. Treating her as if she is pregnant is the second. Pulling her hair is a very suggestive sign she is, and because she was housed with a male..she probably is. Sometimes females who aren't spayed will have a false pregnancy and have behaviors such as pulling hair (and rarely those who are even spayed may do this).
  Many times pregnant rabbits won't "show" until a very few days before delivery, and some not at all. Make sure she has plenty of water, and although you're not supposed to give an adult rabbit alfalfa, it's necessary for a pregnant rabbit for the additional protein. She'll also need it post-delivery while she's nursing. Give her plenty of hay for eating and nesting, and  some nesting materials so she can build herself a nest (along with her pulled fur). Additional fruits and veggies are a plus.
  The only time you may notice she's laboring is if she goes off her food and water. Usually, you won't know she's given birth (if she's young) until you see furry babies. There aren't many things sweeter and funnier as baby rabbits, but the side effects of baby rabbits are the surplus of abandoned and sheltered house rabbits.
   Save up now to have her and your male spayed and neutered. It'll help with both female and male aggression, and is invaluable for litter-training and marking. For the female, it can lessen the chances of ovarian cancer by 80%.
   Whether she is or isn't, a visit to the vet to neuter the male, and to determine when the female can be spayed ...and, if she's pregnant..a check up..is highly warranted. Good luck!
People can be made to believe any lie, either because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it's true.-Terry Goodkind

Offline Louania

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 10:34:31 PM »
Thanx for the info!

Yea, I was planning on getting them both fixed in June when the young one is old enough.

We're just gonna go with whatever happens, and if she is pregnant, make sure the babies get real good forever-homes.

Offline bluratz

• Posts Too Much!
  • Just remember what's important..
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 09:32:05 PM »
I am in the same boat.. I just adopted a girl who was advertised as pregnant, no signs as yet.  If she is 'with bun', she'd be due in about 2 weeks.  I've put some boxes and an upside down giant igloo with lots o' hay in it.
The rabbits: Snow, Daisy, Giggles
The cats: Juno, Maximus and Marley
The fish: eaten by Marley
The boy: Nolan
The fosters: Hot Wheels, Lego, Transformer

Offline tamena

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm NOT a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 07:30:36 PM »
nest boxes should be placed 2-3 days before the due date...other wise bunnies use em for litter pans!

or they pull stunts like our Gemm did this morning and they deliver 5 days EARLY on the floor of the cage  :doh:

if your rabbit is pulling fur and building a nest I suggest you keep a VERY close eye on her...and get ready for babies.  Although there's a very good chance this is a false pregnancy, better safe than sorry

Offline Bonnie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Professional Treat Dispenser
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 05:33:27 PM »
Did she have babies?  I used to breed them and my does always pulled fur within about 48 hours of birthing.
~Bonnie~

www.petfinder.com --Adopt a pet, save a life!

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 04:38:33 AM »
Hows is going with the possibly preggos? (I just found the bunny section of this board!) Just a note, I wouldnt use hay for nesting boxes, use straw. Its much less dusty and better for the babies.
Lin

Offline bluratz

• Posts Too Much!
  • Just remember what's important..
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 11:05:12 PM »
I went down this morning (as every morning) to check my foster girl Gretel, nothing.  Then I went back down this afternoon, there was pulled hair EVERYWHERE and SEVEN bouncing babies!!!   :BlueDumboSmile:
The rabbits: Snow, Daisy, Giggles
The cats: Juno, Maximus and Marley
The fish: eaten by Marley
The boy: Nolan
The fosters: Hot Wheels, Lego, Transformer

Offline tamena

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm NOT a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 11:00:50 PM »
amazing how fast it happens isn't it?

GRATS!!