Author Topic: Cutting hair on long haired cats  (Read 3475 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Cutting hair on long haired cats
« on: April 11, 2006, 06:02:56 PM »
Ok, I've recently been introduced to this idea and doing "Lion's cuts"  What do you guys think?  Is it worth it to help them to cut down on hairballs?  Do any of you do this and have pictures?  Thanks.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Cutting hair on long haired cats
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 10:47:26 PM »
The only time we ever did it was when the matts got really bad, or the cats came home with burdocks in their fur.  This was when I was much younger, of course, none of my cats are outdoors now...  I'm sure it helps a bit with hairballs, but it's very bad for a cat's dignity...   :yelcutelaugh:

Offline LordShrike

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich benutze Internets!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 03:42:30 AM »
That's going to look ridiculous. Poor cat.

How about a regular brushing?

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 09:02:20 AM »
Oh, and not my cat, but this is what a lion cut looks like...

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 11:08:38 AM »
OK, then Lions cut is not what I was thinking about - I know one lady who does that due to her husband being allergic to cat hair. 

I'm just thinking of shortening the length on her back some, leaving her mane, and triming around the bumm a little bit since it gets messy. 

She's indoor, but she gets annoyed and litteraly leaves piles of fur laying around after grooming.  I think it would make it easier for her to have it a bit shorter, and a bit cooler for the summer.

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 12:11:04 PM »
Lion cuts are a little extreme, but if she's indoor, I think she'd be fine. With shorter hair, she'll still shed, it'll just be harder to clean up since it's just shorter hair. If there aren't any mats or anything, you could give her a bath, and let her airdry. All that undercoat and dead hair will be ready to fall out all at once after a bath.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 01:22:28 PM »
I apologize, but I've never understood why someone would cut a cat's fur like that.  I think the "lion" look is a little silly - I'd just keep it long, and make sure you brush it every day,  like you're supposed to.  That'd get rid of the piles of fur, etc.

I think it was my vet that told me this...  I'm not sure, but I've heard that cutting a long haired cat's fur doesn't really help them cool down any.  It's kind of like insulation.

Offline Apopli

• Posts Too Much!
  • rwoar!
    • ScrapYarnProject.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 01:30:38 PM »
OK, then Lions cut is not what I was thinking about - I know one lady who does that due to her husband being allergic to cat hair. 

I'm just thinking of shortening the length on her back some, leaving her mane, and triming around the bumm a little bit since it gets messy. 

She's indoor, but she gets annoyed and litteraly leaves piles of fur laying around after grooming.  I think it would make it easier for her to have it a bit shorter, and a bit cooler for the summer.

Shaving/trimming the cat's fur will not reduce allergy problems in people, as it's not the fur specifically that people react to according to the allergists I've spoken to.

It also won't help cats keep cool in the summer. Cats have their own heating/cooling systems. Shaving the fur actually lessens their abilities to keep cool in the summer just as much as it reduces ability to keep warm in winter.

I know a woman who shaves around her cats' bits and peices to keep the fur more clean when she used the litter box. No more washing poo and pee off long matted fur. She also gives her cats the Lion Cut when she goes out of town for more then a few days and someone else is looking after the cats. Reduces the amount of long thick hair all over the house - less cleanup when she gets back. But it doesn't help the cats any.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 05:03:45 PM »
Some people are allergic to the fur, some are allergic to dander, it depends on the person.

Also having the hair shorter will help with furballs some.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 11:22:19 PM »
Is anyone aware of what a cat goes through to cut their hair off like that?  They have to be knocked out and in my own opinion its not fair to the cat to put them through the risk of being knocked out just to not have as much hair around.

A good brushing and good hairball stuff not hairball food, will benefiet the cat more than shaving it clean off will. Now the under the tail bits is a good idea and I have a cat that would benefeit from it but he would likely have a heart attack or get his weebit shaved off accidentially in the process.

If you can get the fur off without traumatizing or tranquilizing the cat then go for it. Remember if they do go out they will get sunburned. Its not fair to the cat.

I know you were only talking about small bits but its pretty difficult to get the fur off no matter how much and have them still being awake.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 11:58:49 PM »
My friend has to shave both her cats into lion cut due to her husband being highly allergic to cat hair.  She does it herself and has never had to knock out her 2 cats to do it. 

My cats are all inside and I was just thinking about it since combing does not get to all the dead hair and she really does have a lot of problems with it being too long.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 01:45:32 AM »
Just one thing - try not to use scissors.  Cats of course have very thin skin, so it's kind of dangerous.  ^^;

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 01:42:56 PM »
Yeah, clippers are better than scissors, for sure.  In addition to thin skin, cats have very stretchy skin which gets in the way...

As far as tranquilizing them, that all depends on the cat.  Some cats are cool with it, some aren't.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 03:49:05 PM »
OK, I decided to quit thinking and just go ahead and do it!  I used clippers and she really did not mind it at all...  I didn't scalp her or anything, but I got a good deal of fur off of her!  So...

Before.... (took this yesterday)

You ready...

Poor kitty....

Oh....

Beware...

After....

See, not so bad!  Took her down to about a 2 with the clipper guard!  Left her mane, and on her tail and underbelly! 

Can't see much of a change, but it made a diff!

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 04:41:45 PM »
LOL!  She's looking pretty good!!!  :)

That's cool that she didn't go nuts on you.  I think any of my three wouldn't have tolerated it.  Well, maybe... they're ok about getting their nails clipped, usually.  ^_^;

Offline Scentri

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 02:22:37 PM »
We have a barn cat--and indoor, finished apartment, central air/heat, barn cat.  He is able to go outside if he wants, but he doesn't want.

He is very large and very longhaired.  We adopted him about 4 years ago, as a kitten, from a woman that brought the litter to swim team practice.  B*tch.

Anyway, I love him dearly.  He's such a great cat.  If we didn't already have an indoor cat at our house, I would bring him to the house, but they hate each other, and he likes the barn.  We're at the barn all the time (our workout room and hot tub are there, too).  In the summer, he's just hot, and he gets hairballs, and it's impossible to keep him brushed out, because he hates looking pretty.  So we get him lion shaved.  He gets made fun of by the hens, and my dogs, but I know it feels better, because he just rolls and rolls and rolls.  He looks quite ridiculous when he first comes home, because they put a little bandana on him.  It takes about 3-4 months to grow back, in time for winter, and then we do it again in the spring.  It costs $27 at our local groomer/vet, and they don't put him under.  It takes about 30 minutes tops, they do his annual exam at the same time, and everyone says he just lays there like he's being massaged.  Of course, he is a very laid back kitty.

Just my experience.  I wish I had some pictures in my computer, but my computer crashed and I lost them.
Suzy, owned by: Annie (Schnoodle), Biscuit (Pink Nose Yellow Lab), Lilly (Ragdoll), Hector (Barncat), 3 bottlefed kittens...and Fiona II, Karen, and Molli, our 3 darling ratties.