Author Topic: Cat sitting  (Read 2476 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Cat sitting
« on: April 17, 2006, 02:03:45 PM »
Looking for opinion.

We have 4 cats of our own, and are getting a puppy soon.

Dor's boss asked him if we would consider watching her cat for her while she is deployed to Iraq for a year.  I have a big heart - at times - too big!  I would hate for her to have to adopt him out.  I'm considering doing it.

I would want to meet the cat first
Want money ($300-500)?  To cover the cat's shots, and either medical problems, or just to help us on food/litter.

It is an all indoor cat, so that would be the same as our cats.
I'd want a letter saying we can get the cat's shots at the vet
Another letter that states if something unexpected (medically) occures that we can use our judgement to decide what needs done.

What do you guys think of this idea?  Should we tell her no, tell her yes, tell her to keep looking for options but if none other than adopting him out come about that we will take her cat for a year?

Has anyone ever done this?  Have any views on what to do - other requirements we would need.  Would need the cat's vet records too if it has not been going to our vet.

I'm thinking of asking our vet her opinion too - I know she wouldn't have reservations due to the care given to our cats though.

Thanks in advance.

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Cat sitting
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 02:00:21 PM »
In addition to what you have written, I would require that the pet be insured. Vet bills can go WAY beyond $500 or so. It can be very quick and if it comes to a point where you have to decide and can't contact the owner then it would make things easier for you, probably both emotionally and financially.

I would require the owner to pay for food and litter, basically whatever he spends now. You would be doing him a HUGE service so the least he can do is pay for all the costs for his animal.

I would require a letter where he basically enables you to act in his name and in agreement with the cat's vet when it comes to the care of the cat, that would be less complicated than asking for letters for specific procedures.

And I would require a letter saying that if his cat becomes sick or injured or dies because of an accident and not something that you have done intentionally, then he agrees not to sue you.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 07:57:06 PM »
I am not sure how pet insurance would do much good.  How I understand it is it has to be paid monthy - so that is more she would have to do while in a war zone where she needs to be able to do her job and take care of her troops, not having more bills to worry about.  Plus, Don't you pay the bill, the owner files a claim, waits for a return, so we would pay for it - have to get the paperwork to her, get it in in time, and she would get the return and have to pay us back - sounds like more of a mess than it is worth.

What do the people here with a single cat think they pay for their cat per month then per year.  Thanks.  In addition to cost of food and litter etc, what do you think would be a fair price for someone to watch your cat for a month?

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:12:40 PM »
I have three...

But if I had only one, let's see here. 

If it were Sasami who MUST have canned food every night or she will absolutely die - about $30 for her food.  ($15 for a bag of dry - it's $35 for a bag for all three for a month, so I'm guessing.), and 60c a can for the type of food we get her. 

It'd only be about $15 for the dry if it wasn't fed canned food, I guess? 

Maybe $5 for toys...  I tend to buy those little catnip pillows for $1 each, about twice a month or so.  They get torn up pretty quickly!

Litter..  $10 per week? 

That should cover the basics, I'm thinking.  There is the stuff others have mentioned too for medical care, etc.  Maybe have them work something out with their vet so that if something happened, maybe the vet would accept payments of some sort until they returned IF something went wrong?  (hopefully not!!!)  I'm not sure, really.  ^^;

All in all, I think you're doing your friend a huge favor!!!  That's awesome!!!  :)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:27:25 PM »
OK - nut case award part 2 - I think we're gonna do it - I'm gonna go in to dor's work on Wednesday I think and talk out some details with her.  Her cat is front declawed, so I'll have to watch it a little bit more, but I'm sure it can get it's point across with back claws.  None of my cats are big at pouncing and hurting new family members - they tend to be more likely to stand off from eachother and then get used to the new comer.  For 5 think we're gonna have at least 3 litter boxes set up, getting a couple more on ebay now.  If she has one too that helps too!  So just working on working everything out and I'm sure I'll keep you all updated - Dor told her we'd take care of it for her for the year, give it back when she gets home, just be a little sad to see it go since we know we'll get attached - but I really don't want her punished for serving the country by having to give up her beloved cat.  So that's the news.

Offline KellyNZoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moo!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 02:11:28 AM »
For 5 kitties, I would suggest (and have always heard) to have one more box than you have kitties. So 6 boxes for 5 cats. I have just Zaq and he has two, and one's for pee, one's for poop. Not my decision, his.  ::)

My dad has only 2 for his two cats, but I'm convincing him to get one more.  :)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 02:40:11 AM »
I've got 2 right now, with 4 cats - I think this is more quality than quanity issue - keep em scooped, change on a regular basis and all is good.  They have also determined between the 4 of them that only one box gets peed in... silly kitties.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 10:29:02 AM »
Yikes...  six boxes seems like it would be overkill though.

I have two large boxes for my three, and it seems to be fine.  They mostly prefer one of those over the two anyway.  I just..  well, my boyfriend just keeps them cleaned out and changed frequently.  ;)

OMG why am I on this forum???!  I'm supposed to be getting ready for work!  I have half an hour left!!!   :shocked2:

*runs away*

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Cat sitting - question
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 08:41:52 PM »
Taking this a little diff direction, I was reading through some other posts and saw that someone said you can't have clawed cats with declawed cats - is that true at all, or true with the case of partial declawed cats?  The one we will be watching is front declawed, is it safe to have it with my 4 fully armed cats?

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 08:47:03 PM »
I have two declawed and one with his claws (they all came that way).  Never had a problem.  I wouldn't worry too much unless the ones with claws take to bullying.

Offline flannel

• Posts Too Much!
  • When I grow up I wanna be a dumbo!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 09:29:14 PM »
Wow, you're very brave taking on an extra kitty LOL.  I've 'catsat' a couple of times and it's always turned long-term, as in the owners just vanished and I was stuck with a cat for a couple of years(which I enjoyed the cats but wow, how rude!).  Doesn't sound like that's the case with you, so enjoy your new family member while you've got the chance!

Can I add a little twist too?  I just wondered if you'd made provisions for how to care for the cat long-term if, God forbid, something should happen to the cat's original owner while deployed.  It might be the hardest part of the conversation for you to have with her but it's important because of the nature of the 'business'.  Does she have a close friend/family member who would be willing to adopt the kitty if the need arose, or would you be willing to keep the cat permanently?  That is one question I would want answered under the circumstances because guessing what she'd want without discussing it could leave you feeling very awful, wondering if you were doing the right thing.
"Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform."
- The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 04:44:46 PM »
So what's the outcome of this situation? When is this lady being deployed?

As for number of litter boxes per cat, I've been fine with one box, four cats.  I now have a second box because Bagheera 'lives' in my daughters bedroom.

Clawed living with declawed? No problem whatsoever.

If it were me, unless the cat is eating canned cat food, which is much more expensive than dry, then I'd just ask her to keep herself safe from harm so she can return to her 'family' and get her kitty back.  Pet insurance isn't a bad idea, and perhaps put the cat in your name when applying. You can stop the insurance upon the owners return.  Ask if she'll kick in for the monthly payment.  She can also take the cat in for his/her shots just prior to deployment, so you won't need to worry about that.

Being able to help this lady in a very stressful situation and time would be something I'd be happy to do, if at all possible.  Imagine if the tables were turned, and you needed help with your pets.

Just remember, when the owner returns, it may be VERY difficult to give this kitty back!  They have a way of stealing our hearts, even when they don't truly belong to us.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 04:47:26 PM by Dearpie »

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 09:17:55 AM »
We're still waiting to hear when she will be deploying.  I think even if she did shots a month before she left we'd still end up doing them, so better to do them at the regular time for that year.  She could be gone more than a year so shots is the least of the worries.  We're just waiting to hear when and if she is going to be sent over - for those of you who know military - they don't always give you advanced notice - "you go tomorrow" is not that uncommon!  So she's getting things in line for if/when it happens.