Author Topic: (7) Kittens abandoned in central NY *UPDATED*  (Read 3119 times)

Offline LakeEffect

(7) Kittens abandoned in central NY *UPDATED*
« on: April 21, 2006, 01:45:34 PM »
On our way home from an Easter-themed dramatic production on Friday, April 14th, guess what we should pull to the end of the road and find? A car parked at the end of our driveway, and a man trying to gather something and pull it off the road. My first inclination was that he had hid something and was trying to move it to the side. Then we realized that the little things were moving.  As it turns out, he was a sheriff's deputy who lives just around the corner from us, and he was on his way home when he happened upon them in the middle of our street.

Now, we're at one end of a mile-and-a-half road that is nothing but swamp between us and our neighbors at the other end of the street, so we end up with plenty of "drop-offs" - that's how we've come to have most of the seven cats we already have. Well, we agreed to take the seven little kittens in and foster them until we can find them homes.

They are approximately six weeks old, and have been using the litterbox 100% since we brought them in that night. They are also eating dry food. They smelled strongly of cigarette smoke, so wherever they were before someone abandoned them, they were indoors. It bothers me to no end that people look and say, "Gee, it's a farm, they must want lots of animals" and just leave them here. I mean, yes, it is a farm, and yes, we do love animals - but we don't need the seven kittens that you have because you were too irresponsible to spay your female, and now want nothing to do with them.  It's exasperating.  :poke:

Anyway - we are located in central NY, about an hour north of Syracuse. You can email me at tehfifthfeather@aol.com for more information on the kittens and adoption. There is no adoption fee at this time (they have not yet been wormed, etc, so the only expense we have into fostering them is feed and litter), but there is an adoption contract.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 09:38:46 PM by LakeEffect »

Offline LakeEffect

Lydia - ADOPTED
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 01:47:32 PM »
This is Lydia, a grey tabby / white female. She is much less rambunctious than the other kittens, but like any kitten should, does like to have fun. She's just not the type to go scrambling across the floor in chase of our poodle, as certain others in the group are. She reminds me very greatly of an older cat that we have, named Jazz, both in personality and appearance. A real sweetheart.

Update (04/22):
Lydia went to her new home today!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 07:31:18 PM by LakeEffect »

Offline LakeEffect

Re: (7) Kittens abandoned in central NY
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 01:49:20 PM »
This is Bingley, a buff tabby and white male. He is the escape artist of the bunch, and we often find him hanging out at the top of the exercise pen, where he has climbed to, and then has no clue how to get back down the other side.  ;D  He is also one of the kittens that our poodle seems most fascinated by, and she will stand over him and groom him incessantly.

Updated 04/26: Bingley went to a new adoptive home today!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 09:39:26 PM by LakeEffect »

Offline LakeEffect

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 01:51:43 PM »
This is Bennet, a dark grey and white male. Bennet thinks he is a racecar. He will run from one end of our living room, into the dining room, and back again, ducking and diving under and around everything, and he is fearless of the our poodle, Tessa, who delights in chasing after him - in fact, a few times he has turned around from his hiding place and swatted at her playfully, as if to say, "Hah! You can't get me under here! Nya-nya!"  :wink5:

Offline LakeEffect

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 01:53:52 PM »
This is Jane, a dilute tortoiseshell female. Jane is far more energetic than her sister Lydia, and they are quite the contrast to each other. She seems to enjoy climbing the side of the armchair in order to get to where her siblings are resting, and from there climbing across the piano. Apparently, the sound made as she walks on the keys is not at all disconcerting to her.  :yelcutelaugh:

Updated 04/26: Jane went to a new adoptive home tonight!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 09:39:52 PM by LakeEffect »

Offline LakeEffect

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 01:55:23 PM »
This is Henry, a grey tabby and white male. He is one of the "quieter" ones, preferring to play in one area rather than take off helter-skelter across the room. Like Lydia, he seems to be more of a snuggler with a mischievous streak.

Updated 04/26: Henry went to a new adoptive home tonight!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 09:40:23 PM by LakeEffect »

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 08:33:47 PM »
oh my god, they are ADORABLE
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC