Author Topic: 18 rats now in 1 cage..sorta  (Read 6080 times)

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
18 rats now in 1 cage..sorta
« on: April 24, 2006, 11:25:02 AM »
Saturday morning I decided to cut small holes in my cages and put a peice of pvc pipe between the 2. Now all 18 of my girls can mingle lol.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
Re: 18 rats now in 1 cage..sorta
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 11:41:34 AM »
great idea! :wink5:

Offline fluffy

• <3~
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 11:42:40 AM »
That's such a good idea! cool  8)

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 11:47:49 AM »
Great idea! I'll be they're loving all that new space to explore and cagemates to bug!

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 11:48:54 AM »
What a great idea!

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 01:03:15 PM »
It's so funny when all of them are crammed into 1 hammock  ;D

Offline Elysium

• Once you go rat, you never go back!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 11:00:54 PM »
Great idea! You so have to get a picture of all of them in one hammock!  :heart:
Roxann
|Hotchner |Gideon |Spencer

RIP: Ella, Bella, Scully and Reyes

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 03:26:48 PM »
When I checked the girls this morning I noticed that one of the hammocks was broken on one corner. I'm not sure if it was chewed off or broke under all the pressure lol  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline fuzzybee

• Posts Too Much!
    • Bella Sabbagh Illustration
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 07:24:01 PM »
That's awesome!  It's great that all 18 of them get along well enough to share - you've got a whole colony!
Any chance of a picture that shows the whole set-up full length?
My precious little friends: Oliver and Joe.      RIP: Mindy, Maggie, Inky, Lupin, Elgin, Badger, Foxy, Matilda, Henry, Lola, Fleur, Betty, Goody, Sammy, O'Malley and Eloise.
www.bellasabbagh.wordpress.com

Offline LeRatlet

• Hidden Emotions <3
    • Le Ratlet
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 09:33:35 PM »
Wow! Thats an awsome idea! Thanks a bundle for that, when I get my new girl to settle in with the others, I'll ask dad if he could do that for me, but with a trap door so I can get rid of it if I want. :) Thanks for that. Awsome idea! :D

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 10:11:01 PM »
It's not too bad! The girls get along because they have always had free range and their cages haven't been more than 2-3 feet apart. There is some small time re-adjusting of rank but nothing major. My first 2 girls (they are sister and littermates) that are the most dominant so they are really in control.

I can easily remove the tube and cover the holes with hardware cloth incase of any major discontent or if I need to seperate for any illnesses. Now, on to the cages (the white Superpet will be replaced with another Martin's 695 in about 2 weeks):

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 10:18:50 PM »
Jeeezzzz how dare you make those cuties climb up so many levels just to get to the walk way to get to the other cage.  I think they need a hallway at each level   :hyper:  Just teasing.  It looks like a dream setup and I am sure the ratties are in heaven
Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 10:22:53 PM »
Jeeezzzz how dare you make those cuties climb up so many levels just to get to the walk way to get to the other cage.  I think they need a hallway at each level   :hyper:  Just teasing.  It looks like a dream setup and I am sure the ratties are in heaven

LOL the lazy bums.. eer I mean these ladies only use the top 1/2 of each cage 90% of the time. Unless it's the few that use the wheel  ;D

Offline fuzzybee

• Posts Too Much!
    • Bella Sabbagh Illustration
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 07:18:06 AM »
That's a fabulous set-up.  Thanks for the extra pics.  :rattysmiley:
My precious little friends: Oliver and Joe.      RIP: Mindy, Maggie, Inky, Lupin, Elgin, Badger, Foxy, Matilda, Henry, Lola, Fleur, Betty, Goody, Sammy, O'Malley and Eloise.
www.bellasabbagh.wordpress.com

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 07:22:06 AM »
That's a fabulous set-up.  Thanks for the extra pics.  :rattysmiley:

No Problem!  :thumbsup2:

Offline xedra77

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 11:05:46 AM »
Yeah!  Group fun!
"You can drop humans anywhere and they'll thrive-only the rat does as well." - Jeannette Desor

0.1 Champagne Hooded  0.1 Beige Hooded
0.1 Himilayan                0.1 PEW
0.1 Blue Eyepatch         0.1 Odd-eye White

Offline LucidDreamer

• Rat Lover!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 11:23:37 AM »
Your setup is awesome, you must really be able to observe some natural rat colony behavior with so many.

And playing with eighteen rats at once must be loads of fun but it probably costs you a bundle to feed so many.

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 11:40:19 AM »
Your setup is awesome, you must really be able to observe some natural rat colony behavior with so many.

And playing with eighteen rats at once must be loads of fun but it probably costs you a bundle to feed so many.

It is cool to have a real "colony" effect, I am trying to get a few more too. I might be adding males to the mix, a rescue has 2 neutered males that I may get  ;D.  It doesn't cost too much more to feed them, I get lots of cereal on sale and order lab blocks.

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 03:42:51 PM »
Great idea!  What kind of cage is that on the left, with the red bottom?  I like it!
~Julie

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 05:27:37 PM »
Great idea!  What kind of cage is that on the left, with the red bottom?  I like it!

I got it off of Ebay, it's the same size as a RUUD roughly and has 3/4 inch bar spacing. It was about 150.00 with shipping :thumbsup2: .I love the super deep pan.
YML Group was the manufacturer. I'll post a link to the person that sells them on Ebay once I get home from work (Ebay is blocked at my job  >:( )

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 10:41:45 AM »
cage without stand

with stand

I wish I got the cage with the stand now. The pan has little support ridges on the bottom to help keep the pan from breaking. It doesn't slide across carpet very well.

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2006, 06:41:28 PM »
Boohoo now I really want that cage!  Too bad it won't fit too well in my bedroom. I live in the attic with those awful slanted ceilings... :P
~Julie

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2006, 03:49:17 PM »
Boohoo now I really want that cage!  Too bad it won't fit too well in my bedroom. I live in the attic with those awful slanted ceilings... :P

lol I love that cage! They have smaller sizes (Martin's 695 size) too once and a while  ;D

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 10:03:35 PM »
Meanie!! :BlueDumboSmileTongue: *sticks fingers in ears* I'm not listening!!
~Julie

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 10:12:29 AM »
Meanie!! :BlueDumboSmileTongue: *sticks fingers in ears* I'm not listening!!

3 Level cage with stand!
 ;D :poke:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 10:17:22 AM by run_amok_ratties »

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2006, 12:03:31 PM »
How on earth did you get the wobust into the top level of the martins? Did you have to take the cage apart? Thats one thing I hate about the martins, not big enough doors!
:heart: Loved by: Sean, Mittens, Honey, Little Bear, Pewpew, Thomas, Midget, Benjamin, Little Heart, Petal, Piranha, and Cricket.
Mommy misses: Dumbo, Piper, Emily, Merlyn, Theo, sweet Finn, Georgiana, Winston, Lily, Owen, Nicholas, Albus, Dumbledore, sweet Daphne, Fiona, Roger, Esther, and Caius.

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2006, 01:25:24 PM »
How on earth did you get the wobust into the top level of the martins? Did you have to take the cage apart? Thats one thing I hate about the martins, not big enough doors!

I got a flip top. The entire top is a lid  ;D

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2006, 01:27:05 PM »
aww! No fair! I wish mine had that. I bought it from someone else, so I didn't have the option.
:heart: Loved by: Sean, Mittens, Honey, Little Bear, Pewpew, Thomas, Midget, Benjamin, Little Heart, Petal, Piranha, and Cricket.
Mommy misses: Dumbo, Piper, Emily, Merlyn, Theo, sweet Finn, Georgiana, Winston, Lily, Owen, Nicholas, Albus, Dumbledore, sweet Daphne, Fiona, Roger, Esther, and Caius.

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2006, 02:37:44 PM »
aww! No fair! I wish mine had that. I bought it from someone else, so I didn't have the option.

Wonder if you could order a flip top lid from Martins. It's not a solid piece on the cage. It has a little ledge and the lid is attatched to that and the edge attatches to the cage.

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2006, 05:11:45 PM »
Although that would mean removing the c-rings....  :BlueDumboBigEyes: LOL...

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2006, 07:30:56 PM »
LOL EWWWW!! C-rings are the debil!

Offline FrizzleLover

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kissing ratties NEVER get's old!
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2006, 08:02:54 PM »
I want one sooooooooooo bad....and I only have 2.......
Play hard at the bridge Frizzle and Skittle.

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 08:22:18 PM »
I know! I was going to disassemble it when I first picked it up but SuccubusofAngels and I couldn't get the frickers off.. lol. It just barely fit in my car... We had to take part of the door to my car off!

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 08:31:44 PM »
I know! I was going to disassemble it when I first picked it up but SuccubusofAngels and I couldn't get the frickers off.. lol. It just barely fit in my car... We had to take part of the door to my car off!

LOL you said frickers!! When I bought my Martin's I started to put it together with the c-rings. I said forget that and got out the zip ties.

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2006, 02:45:24 PM »
We had to take part of the door to my car off!

:eek: The things we will so gor our rats... ;)  I gave away an R-695 to someone on the forum once, and when she came to pick it up we had to sort of balance it on the top of her open trunk and tie it down with her jumper cables!  Lol... suprisingly the cage got home in one piece.
~Julie

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2006, 02:49:12 PM »
lol! Yeah, mine is just ever so slightly bent, but thank god I had my boyfriend there when I came home! It was stuck in the car!! He had to yank and pull it out of the car. I would have never gotten it out by myself. Thank god for my muscle man. lol  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2006, 06:46:20 PM »
So you really recommend that ebay cage? It looks quite nice... You said its equal to the Martins RUUD? How many rats can fit in it? I need to run off now and compare the price to martins, but it seems cheaper... I need a new/bigger cage, and I'm really likin that one :)

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2006, 07:12:18 PM »
So you really recommend that ebay cage? It looks quite nice... You said its equal to the Martins RUUD? How many rats can fit in it? I need to run off now and compare the price to martins, but it seems cheaper... I need a new/bigger cage, and I'm really likin that one :)

I believe the cage calculator said it could hold 9 or 10 rats. I really like it. It's easy to clean (the shelves can be taken out and soaked in the tub) and you can rearrange the shelves to make different levels. The pan is real deep too. I think it is 6-8 inches deep. It has 2 doors on the front and a door on the top. The doors are good size, I can get a giant igloo in it (with a little coaxing) but I had to take the top off to put the wheel in it (when the wheel was in that cage)

The bar spacing is 3/4 and my 8 week okd baby can't get through. The wire on the shelves and ladders are 1/2 inch. I can easily get my fingers in between the bars to wipe them down for cleaning. I used zip ties to put it together instead of the clips they sent. The company shipped fast. I had it in about a week (CA to WV) and I've had it for roughly 5/6 months now.

Hope that helps,
Stacey

Offline RatFinkster

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2006, 02:17:07 AM »
WOW that is a nice setup!!!   I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: 18 rats now in 1 cage..sorta updated 5/09
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2006, 11:23:42 PM »
I got my new 695 from Mirabell today! It was a little bent up (blast you FedEx) but I got it straightened up.
The bottom 695 is mine and the top is Mirabell's old one.
Mine had a flip top so I took the solid one off Mirabell's and put my flip top on it.
I cut a small hole in Mirabell's top and used it for a full floor between my original and the new cage.
I used a ladder from my white cage for the hole.

The girls say, "Thank you, Auntie Mirabell!"   ;D :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

I zip tied the whole thing together and wa-la! SuperSized Martin's. I still have the pipe between the white cage and the Martin. I just lowered it and will add a second pipe closer to the top later on.

Here's the havoc that FedEx caused. I got it straightened out pretty good.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 11:26:01 PM by run_amok_ratties »

Offline Elaken

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rats are my obsession!
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 03:10:38 AM »
Wow, that is pretty major damage on it I am amazed you got it all straightened out.
I was lucky enough to have been part of Willie's life and I am eternally grateful for the 2.5 years she gave me.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 06:53:58 AM »
Wow, I guess you didn't have insurance on the package? Cause if you did I would file a claim for that...

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 07:20:45 AM »
All FedEx packages are insured up to a certain amount, you don't have to add it. If I didn't get it straightened out I would have filed a claim on it. It's still a little crooked in one corner but it serves the purpose  :) I'd rather be able to use a slightly bent cage instead of waiting 6 months for them to reimburse me for it. I bought it used at a great price and couldn't get another one for the price I paid.  :thumbsup2:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 07:24:20 AM by run_amok_ratties »

Offline FrizzleLover

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kissing ratties NEVER get's old!
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2006, 04:44:36 PM »
:o

Jeez...
Play hard at the bridge Frizzle and Skittle.

Offline luvmyrats

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • 4 legged kids are better then 2 legged kids!
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2006, 04:50:34 PM »
What a great set up! I too would like to see some hammie shots  ;)

Offline bigeyes_and_underfed

• Posts Too Much!
  • ico
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2006, 09:28:15 AM »
:eek:  holy bananas....
i cant believe they messed up the cage like that....

regaurdless it looks awesome  :thumbsup2: i love seeing big creative cages
i want a huge one and i only have 3 lil babies
*~Boogie down RATTY STYLE~*