Author Topic: This is so cute, I'm ordering one myself!  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Lazykittenmoon

This is so cute, I'm ordering one myself!
« on: May 12, 2006, 09:11:43 AM »
http://www.martinscages.com/products/accessories/furniture.htm

the first one on that page, the bench.  I find that adorible!

:hyper:
The Brat Rats

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: This is so cute, I'm ordering one myself!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 10:03:38 AM »
I want that too, but I was concerned because its made of wood. It doesn't say what kind of wood, so it could be pine or cedar? Also, a wood bench probably wouldnt last long with chewers. Last, I don't know how well you would be able to clean it up, the wood would absorb pee and you cant just scrub it with soap and bleach like something plastic..

Offline Lazykittenmoon

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 10:14:55 AM »
o, don't worry I always line wood benches or platforms with cotton or wool towels.  :wink5:
The Brat Rats

Offline happybat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 10:19:03 AM »
The site mentions "Made with non-toxic glue and food colorants on new pine for your pet's safety. "

Hope that helps

C

Offline ratcrazied

• Do what you like, and like what you do.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 10:34:07 AM »
All that stuff is just adorable! I want one too! :rattysmiley:
I know it says pine, and that pine is awful as a bedding/litter, but would it really be that bad as a toy? Arn't other chew/ladder toys in the pet stores made of pine?
RIP Bunson Jan '05 - Apr '06
Beaker Jan '05 - Jul '06
I'll always love you, I'll always miss you.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 10:57:23 AM »
I would say yes, they are bad. Its the oils in the pine and cedar that cause respiratory distress. A pine toy or chew thing, would be just as bad as pine bedding Id think. The only difference is the amount, a small toy versus a cage full of pine chips. I just think better safe than sorry. Its a personal decision though, and hopefully those more experienced than me will put in their 2 cents.

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 05:20:06 PM »
It's a personal decision, definitely.  Some people jumped on the fat that I give my rats pine chew sticks before, but I've never had a problem with having pine in the cage in that form.  But if you dont' feel comfortable with it, then don't. :)
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 06:30:05 AM »
I don't give my rats wooden *anything*. A friend of mine had one of those Leap 'n Ledges and the rat was chewing on it and actually did swallow a splinter, causing her death.

More concerning to me, though, is the chains. I don't like to hang up chains in my cages due to the risk of getting the chains tangled and seriously injuring themselves (amputating tails, etc) If the bench is heavy enough not to allow the chains movement, that's different. But I'd rather be safe (ie paranoid) than sorry.

Not to mention it's $20 chew toy! LOL!

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline Lazykittenmoon

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 09:10:48 AM »
i have pine ledges in the cage rightnow and only one rat uses it to sleep on and spend 3/4ths of the day on it for over a year and has had no problems.

I think Bear would enjoy it.  Plus, as I've said, I cover them with cloth
The Brat Rats

Offline luvmyrats

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • 4 legged kids are better then 2 legged kids!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 04:59:24 PM »
They are cute, but I would worry about splinters too.  My gang has furniture I found at a yard sale.  It's made with that plastic craft canvas and yarn in the shape of couches, beds, chairs, etc.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 05:06:12 PM »
I like the canvas idea - wouldn't be expensize or hard to make!

Offline KoalaLou2

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pure love... adopt a PEW
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 06:24:35 PM »
That is seriously expensive for a chew toy that could possibly cause health issues.  Think about what the cost of the toy would be with the added vet bills if it does cause respiratory problems in a sensitive rat.  I think the money would be better put into a savings account for vet bills instead of into something "cute."  If you're not on a budget then it would be different, but after reading the post in rat care I am very disappointed with the choice on how to spend money and not able to spend money on the vet.  $20 here and there quickly adds up.
Adoring slave to three rats (Edward, Templeton, and Theodore) and three dogs (Holly and Mia the Greyhounds, Cadie the Brittany)

Angels waiting at the bridge.... Wendi, Josie, Petrie, Minski, Teebs, Dribbles, Milo, and Mr Smuckers, who took my heart with him.  Always remembered, always loved

Offline twistedlittle-puppy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 12:17:03 AM »
dang, those are cute! sadly, my boys have this "peeing in bed" problem and, unless that cute bed comes w/ a plastic blanket, it probably won't work. and like others said, it is a $20 chew toy

I would buy a few though and just keep them in the dollhouse/playhouse they use infrequently, but I'm worried about that pine thing. maybe martin's doesn't know that pine is bad for all small animals? I might send them an email letting them know. maybe they can use other material (tho I'm sure pine is cheaper). if it wasn't for the pine, I would have spent $100 on chew toys by now!!spent

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 03:12:41 AM »
If you have a Ross, lazykittenmoon, near you (is that an AZ thing?  ::)), they have mini furniture in the housewares section. It's like $15 for a fully upholstered mini-rat-sized-couch. If I'm gonna spend that much on anything for the rats, it better be upholstered. hehe.  ;D

Offline Zooy

• Crazy Rattie Mama
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 11:42:11 AM »
for my birthday my roommate bought me a cell phone chair. It has found a permanent spot in my cage. Widgie loves the thing.

$1 at the dollar store
I've had a lot of pets in the last three years.
8 rats: Popcorn, Toto, Elphaba, Glinda, Humpty, Dumpty, Hansel and Gretel
1 degu: Jumpy
2 cats: Morgan and Luna
RIP the ones who left me.

Offline ratcrazied

• Do what you like, and like what you do.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 12:12:20 PM »
Thats cute too, but do you know what its made of? My little carlos doent know what it means to be potty trained yet, and beaker likes to chew.
RIP Bunson Jan '05 - Apr '06
Beaker Jan '05 - Jul '06
I'll always love you, I'll always miss you.