Author Topic: Yesterday's News question  (Read 3845 times)

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Yesterday's News question
« on: April 24, 2006, 03:46:37 PM »
The pet store has Cat, Ferret and Rabbit varieties of YN. Which is better or is it basically the same?

Thx
Stacey

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
Re: Yesterday's News question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 03:47:33 PM »
They're all the same. I use the cat litter cuz I can get the 30lb bag for about $14.

Offline love2teach

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 03:49:45 PM »
They're all the same. I use the cat litter cuz I can get the 30lb bag for about $14.

Ditto.  I like to use the unscented cat litter.  Check because they have the unscented and then two different scented ones.

love2teach

Offline Scentri

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 03:51:59 PM »
Have you seen the colored ones--dark blue, I think?
Suzy, owned by: Annie (Schnoodle), Biscuit (Pink Nose Yellow Lab), Lilly (Ragdoll), Hector (Barncat), 3 bottlefed kittens...and Fiona II, Karen, and Molli, our 3 darling ratties.

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 03:54:19 PM »
Good! I'm glad it's the same since the unscented cat litter is bigger and cheaper!  :hyper:  ;D

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 04:08:08 PM »
There is a slight difference in the size of the pellets, not enough to warrant paying twice as much for the small animal version. I bought a 30 lb bag of the unscented cat stuff at PetSmart last week on sale for $10.99.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 04:25:20 PM »
There is a slight difference in the size of the pellets, not enough to warrant paying twice as much for the small animal version. I bought a 30 lb bag of the unscented cat stuff at PetSmart last week on sale for $10.99.

I got mine on sale too, 10.99. I'm still not a fan of the price increases in the last year.  :P

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 05:34:13 PM »
We don't have a Petsmart or Petco, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, we have a smaller chain store though; Pets Supplies Plus. I called them today and they have the big bag of cat YN for 11.69. I hope thats regular price lol. I need to run up this week and get some.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 05:37:26 PM by run_amok_ratties »

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 06:31:21 PM »

Ditto.  I like to use the unscented cat litter.  Check because they have the unscented and then two different scented ones.

love2teach

Me too. It's ridiculous the prices for the "small animal" version, especially since they're all the same. lol. I use the "softer texture" variety of the cat litter, but it's the same price as the regular, and the only difference I noticed was that the pellets are a little smaller.

Offline love2teach

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 08:35:30 PM »

Me too. It's ridiculous the prices for the "small animal" version, especially since they're all the same. lol. I use the "softer texture" variety of the cat litter, but it's the same price as the regular, and the only difference I noticed was that the pellets are a little smaller.
[/quote]

Does the softer texture come in unscented?  love2teach

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 09:34:09 PM »
Some walmarts carry the cat type.  I've heard of odd things being in the pellets though - like shards of metal and plastic.

Offline love2teach

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 09:37:24 PM »
Some walmarts carry the cat type.  I've heard of odd things being in the pellets though - like shards of metal and plastic.

I just put it out on some newspapers before I put it in the cage.  I've found maybe one piece of plastic, but no metal.

love2teach

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 10:06:56 PM »
Are you using this to cover the entire cage or just in litter boxes?  I have a one level cage and my bunch some times likes to lay on the bottom of the cage rather than in their hammie.  I have not bought this stuff cuz I feel too guilty to make them lay on something so hard.   :-[
Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 10:43:58 PM »
Are you using this to cover the entire cage or just in litter boxes?  I have a one level cage and my bunch some times likes to lay on the bottom of the cage rather than in their hammie.  I have not bought this stuff cuz I feel too guilty to make them lay on something so hard.   :-[

I use it in my hamster and mice cages as well, and they don't seem to mind sleeping in it. I also offer a igloo with a flat bottom with toilet paper in it. I works out well.

Offline Elysium

• Once you go rat, you never go back!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 10:45:05 PM »
Today the girls' water bottle decided to break and leak all over the cage. So off to the pet store I went to buy two water bottles and to pick up some more bedding. The women from the rescue gave me these aspen pellets that I could have swore they sold at my local pet store (Pet Supplies Plus) but when I went there they didn't. I asked them if they could special order it for me like their signs say on the windows and they told me they couldn't since they had pine pellets!  False advertisement!  :doh:

Anyway, I picked up a 5lb. bag of Yesterday's News and it cost me six bucks! This bag is not going to last more than three cleanings. I didn't notice the cat litter, but the next time I go to the pet store I'm going to have to take a look.

OldsGal: I'm not sure about the others, but I do use pellets to line the bottom of my cage. The only reason I use the pellets is because they are hairless and anything else would probably prick their skin and the woman from the rescue said they made a mess with the carefresh (I don't like carefresh anyway). They have plenty of soft hammocks and cozy hiding places to sleep in though.  :)
Roxann
|Hotchner |Gideon |Spencer

RIP: Ella, Bella, Scully and Reyes

Offline Reverend Sin

• Posts Too Much!
  • L.A.4.B.J.C
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 11:15:57 AM »
I think you are talking about Aspen Crumbles by sunseed. They just started putting them out in stores recently because its a new product of sunseed. Well not too new but not on shelves yet.
I used to order that stuff from bunnyrabbit.com cause it was so great. I love the smell of it and it absorbs odor so nicely.

I'm kinda getting sick of the carefresh. I find white lint and fragments everywhere and it always smells. I might switch back to yesterdays news and or aspen crumbles since they sell them over here now.

Offline Elysium

• Once you go rat, you never go back!
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 12:31:35 PM »
I'm not sure who puts this stuff out (I'll have to check), but it come in a green bag. It does smell really nice and it absorbs great. I'll have to see how the YN holds up.

I use to use carefresh with my hamsters and I know that they are naturally smelly (Syrians anyway), but the carefresh just made the smell worse!
Roxann
|Hotchner |Gideon |Spencer

RIP: Ella, Bella, Scully and Reyes

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 04:20:45 PM »
Harlan Teklad also sells a pelleted aspen.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline Reverend Sin

• Posts Too Much!
  • L.A.4.B.J.C
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 08:44:32 PM »
I wish I could find them in the stores that are by me!!  I have to travel to get anything decent now!  The one store by me that I reported didn't even have aspen shavings. Nothing but pine and cedar. They did have one bag of really old looking cel sorb? And one old ripped looking bag of carefresh.
There is only one store I know thats sells the aspen crumbles by me and they charge a lot for a tiny bag and the store itself sucks!

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 08:58:32 PM »
I use YN in the bottom of the pans. The girls love to dig in it and they sleep upstairs in the hammocks or igloos lol.
I buy the ferret kind but since the unscented cat kind is the same, I want to get it since the big bags are only 10.00 - 12.00 bucks  ;D.

I hate carefresh cause it's stinky after a couple of days and aspen shavings because I'm still finding little bits of shavings in my carpet and I haven't used it for 3 months  ::)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 09:03:26 PM by run_amok_ratties »

Offline JulesMichy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 09:44:25 PM »
I've been thinking about buying two litter pans and filling them with YN. Ever since I got Emma, Carefresh just doesn't work at controlling odor anymore. It must have a three rat limit.

I've bought aspen crumbles and pellets in the past, but oh man! They reak! I can't believe I've just seen two people professing their love for how they smell, because I was overwhelmed with just how badly they stank. Every member of my household felt the same way. I love the way the shavings smell, but the pellets smell 10 x's as strong, and not in a good way in my opinion.

Offline ceruleandigo

• Donor
  • do you speak rattish?
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 10:02:39 PM »
I know there is no "perfect" bedding and it's to everyone's preference, but i'm confused with issues.
I am so done with carefresh. I had to keep using it to finish up the last big bag, but i would mix it with eco bedding and ColorFresh (those are recycled paper pellets too) in the litter pan. I like the eco-bedding, but it doesn't absorb much and needs to be combined with something else. I was afraid to buy YN and use it for all over bedding because my older guy is having some issues with bumblefoot that we are currently taking care of and are healing (i think they were from him walking on the bars when ontop of the cage). So i have to pick something that absorbs well, is soft for his feet, and deals with the nasty smell that comes from the two other little guys (they are sooo messy, when my older guy is so neat). The litter pan does not work for the little guys yet. Kind of funny, my older guy gets it mixed up sometimes and puts his front paws in the litter pan and hangs his butt out of it when he poops, then we have to nudge him a little and he turns around the right way, lol.
OK, off on a tangent. anywho, whats this talk of YN having soft bedding? ohh i'm soo confused, what do i pick? I have to figure it out soon since i'm taking them with me to the Adirondacks (upstate NY) where i'm doing research for the summer. Thankfully i'm buying some nil-odor, but can you depend on that alone to help smells?
RIP my lovely Escher Pepper <3, Benny <3, and panda Larix <3

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 10:03:28 PM »
I'll freeze timothy hay to kill any bugs and put it in the cage for the girls to play in. They love to burrow in it and I love the way it smells  ;D

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 10:13:07 PM »
I know there is no "perfect" bedding and it's to everyone's preference, but i'm confused with issues.
I am so done with carefresh. I had to keep using it to finish up the last big bag, but i would mix it with eco bedding and ColorFresh (those are recycled paper pellets too) in the litter pan. I like the eco-bedding, but it doesn't absorb much and needs to be combined with something else. I was afraid to buy YN and use it for all over bedding because my older guy is having some issues with bumblefoot that we are currently taking care of and are healing (i think they were from him walking on the bars when ontop of the cage). So i have to pick something that absorbs well, is soft for his feet, and deals with the nasty smell that comes from the two other little guys (they are sooo messy, when my older guy is so neat). The litter pan does not work for the little guys yet. Kind of funny, my older guy gets it mixed up sometimes and puts his front paws in the litter pan and hangs his butt out of it when he poops, then we have to nudge him a little and he turns around the right way, lol.
OK, off on a tangent. anywho, whats this talk of YN having soft bedding? ohh i'm soo confused, what do i pick? I have to figure it out soon since i'm taking them with me to the Adirondacks (upstate NY) where i'm doing research for the summer. Thankfully i'm buying some nil-odor, but can you depend on that alone to help smells?

If you're worried about a "soft bedding" I would switch to fabric. You just change it out every other day or so depending on if your guys are messy or not. The yesterdays news absorbs odor and wetness very well, but it's not the softest bedding. I use a thin layer of YN under eco-pet bedding. It works well for me and my girls, and I don't smell a thing from their cage. I use the Nil-Odor with the mice, it helps, but it doesn't completely eliminate smells.

Offline ceruleandigo

• Donor
  • do you speak rattish?
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 10:35:10 PM »
Thank you, rap. I have thought about fabric bedding, since someone mentioned buying plenty of dish towels at the dollar store. But it seems like they would kick it up or it would scrunch to one side of the cage, etc. What would you use to hold it down in place?
Maybe i'll use YN in the litter box, fabric bedding on the bottom, and some eco-bedding in the dens. now to teach my little guys to be neater..... lol. How often would you wash the fabric bedding for an averagely neat bunch of rats (i have 3)?
thanks again for any advice. gahh i'm sorry i made this thread into my questionare. still topic of bedding!  ;)
RIP my lovely Escher Pepper <3, Benny <3, and panda Larix <3