Author Topic: Agression  (Read 5522 times)

Offline lisa.j.31

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: Agression
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 08:51:45 AM »
Ok Pongo and PeeWee are set to see a obedience trainer next week. They will actaually come and train them here in my home. The following is the link to the website of the people I am going to be using http://www.doganswers.com/home2.htm

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 11:44:49 PM »
I would be incredibly wary about letting these people near my dogs if I were you. On their website they say that using food as a reward is bad because you are only bribing your dog and he isn't working for you because you are the boss, he's only working for the food.  This is a bunch of BS.  Trainers who say these things are trainers who use punishment disguised as "corrections" "reprimands" and "dominance."  All things that do more harm than good.  It also says that training dogs in classes is a waste of time, all training should be done at home. The website is full of roundabout "explanations" about their "dog psycology methods" and lots of other vaque phrases squeezed in between lots of random bright pictures of happy cute dogs.  ARGH. I hate websites like this and the "trainers" who make them.

If I were you I would shop around some more, for the sake of your dogs and the safety of your baby.
~Julie

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 07:12:58 AM »
I agree with some/many of the points Ratwings makes. 

But this is the way I look at it, the only thing two dog trainers can agree on is how bad the third one is.  So, if their system works for you and your dog then great. 

Please go into it open minded and if things are not working or you are not agreeing with their techniques please look for a program that does work for you.

Offline danil

• Ritten
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 04:49:50 PM »
Hi Lisa,
I was looking for a review for www.doganswers.com and ended up in this forum.
I have an 9 months old malamute with behavior problems.
Can you please post a review of www.doganswers.com when you have used their service?

Thank you

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 06:12:33 PM »
Ok, I'm going to agree with Ratwings. The site seems totally unprofessional to me. They are playing on people's emotions and pictures where the flash lights up the dog's eyes are ones with captions about vicious dogs. No flash pictures = calm and nice dogs. And this "guarentee" REALLY gets me.

"WE WILL GIVE YOU ALL YOUR MONEY BACK if your dog's dominance-aggression can't be controlled using our program. You may be required to videotape the training to prove that you did what we told you and you will need to surrender the dog to us before we will give you your money back."

You can't even get your money back without giving up your dog if the techniques didn't even work? UNBELIEVABLE. They just got done knocking trainers who take your money and when the techniques don't work they tell you to kill the dog. So.. what are these people gonna do with YOUR dog that's obviously not trainable? This really appals me. But you know, like trub said, go in open minded and see if what they do works but IMO, I wouldn't take my dog there even if I did live in CA. I looked at their site awhile ago for Amos's food aggression and decided that that type of approach was not right for him. I talked to a trainer at Petsmart who is going to college for animal behavior and the things she told me to try are helping. I guess it all depends. Good luck.

Offline lisa.j.31

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
We will be meeting with them on Wednesday and then we are set to meet another local trainer who was recomended by a close friend, her site is http://www.francescasdogtraining.com/index.html. I definately want to meet and see how they react witn y dogs before I allow themto train them. I have not been allowing them to sleep with me and have been keeping them in the same room with me pretty much all the time, so they are never unsupervised.

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2007, 10:14:34 PM »
Although Francesca doesn't seem to talk about her methods on the website, from the pictures of ehr training dogs I see a treat pouch around her waist and actual pics of her rewards dogs with food.  I'd definately stick with her!  I agree it's a good idea to meet the trainers before you get started.  Be careful though that the "Dog Answers" people don't intimidate your dogs from the get-go.  Every negative experience is detrimental when treating fear/dominant aggressive dogs.

ETA: Okay, nevermind about that. Elsewhere on the site she lists a choke chain as required supplies for a baic obediance class. I know you are signing up for the basic obedience class, but this sort of thing suggests coercive/force-based training methods.  Trubandloki is right, go with what feels right to you. Don't let anyone do anything to your dog you aren't comfortable with.  As a professional-in-training in this field, I can only make suggestions and hope that you will consider moresafe, humane and effective ways to have your dogs trained.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:20:05 PM by Ratwings »
~Julie

Offline danil

• Ritten
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2007, 01:08:50 AM »
Hi Lisa,
Thank you for the update. I also have a recommendation for a trainer from my vet here in San Mateo.
She trained my vet's dog and the dog has a very good and calm behavior.
So, I might go with her instead with www.doganswers.com.
I agree that www.doganswers.com website looks shady, but so does most dog trainer's websites

Please update me if you decided to go with www.doganswers.com.
The trainer my vet recommended me is Reena Walton, (650)366-2342, waltonmntm@aol.com in case you are interested.

My dog, Hiro pulls alot when he walks and cannot go offleash.
He also has a very bad case of separation anxiety.