Author Topic: okay, what to feed my dog?  (Read 3272 times)

Offline jn

• Posts Too Much!
  • bunnylicious!
okay, what to feed my dog?
« on: March 18, 2007, 04:56:49 PM »
Yorkie, 15 lbs.  (SuperYorkie! And yes, he's a yorkie and not a silky. ;) )

He's been eating Nutro all his life from puppy food and now he's on the small bites regular adult lamb and rice. Is this atrocious?

I've been mulling over the idea of Innova, but I've heard Wellness is good, WHAT is good and how do I tell? I just start to zone out after the first few ingredients, the lists are all so long. Everything I've read says to watch the first few, but they don't really say what the rest of that stuff is and whether any of it is to be avoided?

Right now we pay $15-20 for a 20 lb bag of Nutro, I'd like to keep it reasonably around there. It takes him 4-6 mos to get through a bag if I recall?? Maybe I'm recalling wrong, but I honestly can't remember the last time we bought it.

Anyhoo, what do you guys recommend? I like the Nutro better than the store brands (he occasionally grazes at my mother's house and she feeds her dogs Purina) because a) it's a lot less smelly around here ;) and b) he does not get those eye crusts that other dogs get, and he gets them if he eats a lot of the purina crud.

So if he's doing good on this, should he stay on it or should I aim higher if I'm so inclined?

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
Re: okay, what to feed my dog?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 06:21:05 PM »
I am trying to switch my Yorkie to Solid Gold.  (Please give your comments about this food anyone!)  We started her on Eukanuba & since have tried to switch her a few times, but she has such a sensitive stomach.  My mom finally has given up & said that Laynee does so well on Eukanuba that she doesn't want to switch her. 

My problem was the size of the kibble.  Most of it is huge & she is just under 7#.  I looked at Merrick, Wellness, & Innova for her, but the bites were so big.  I bought a bag of Merrick, but was quickly told by one of the staff that someone came in complaining that her little dog vomited horribly on that food.  I finally decided on Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit.  The bites are tiny, she likes it, and does great on it.  Now if I can only get my mother to keep her on it...

Here's the website:  http://solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=68&code=140

Maybe this is just my thinking, but hanging on to a bag of food for 4-6 months it probably not the best for the dog??
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline jn

• Posts Too Much!
  • bunnylicious!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 06:54:32 PM »
I never thought about it going bad actually. But it's just dry kibble not wet food so I really never thought it went bad in that time! It seemed okay. Maybe I should buy smaller bags?

I know innova has a "small bites" version and it was the one  I was looking at.

He can do the big chunks but he seems to prefer smaller bites, so I think that is a concern as well - thanks for reminding me! :)

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 11:36:39 PM »
My opinion? Feed raw. If not an option, feed Innova EVO. The bites are very very small. Our chi can actually swallow them whole no problem. She inhales her food. ::)

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 07:45:07 AM »
Canidae (I think I spelled that right) is a pretty small kibble.  Smaller than most kibble pieces.  My Greyhound and Rottie seem to be doing great on it.

Offline jn

• Posts Too Much!
  • bunnylicious!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 09:39:45 AM »
I didn't mean to imply the size was the most important thing :) Just curious which ones are better than others and why. Or is there a "you can't lose" among those brands? Why is innova evo better than plain innova?

I don't see feeding RAW as an option. I'm open for it but the husband would have a STROKE.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 10:01:15 AM »

I don't see feeding RAW as an option. I'm open for it but the husband would have a STROKE.  :yelcutelaugh:

Laugh, that is so the same problem I have!  My hubby freaks if I even give the dogs a blob of raw burger when I'm making patties. 

Do you have access to the 'whole dog journal'?  It is a magazine, they have an annual list of the good/bad/ugly for dog foods.  It also gives you great information.

Offline elegy

• Posts Too Much!
  • obey the pit bull.
    • shattering.org
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 12:42:22 PM »
i mostly feed canidae or innova, and have been very happy with both. i fed evo for awhile but got anxious about that high quantity of cooked protein (42%). i don't worry about it with raw food, but in kibble form... i just worry. i fed solid gold for one bag full and the dogs did fine. i haven't tried nature's variety or timberwolf organics but i hear good things about them.

have you been to the dog food project website? that might help you answer some questions on your own.

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 02:30:19 PM »
I didn't mean to imply the size was the most important thing :) Just curious which ones are better than others and why. Or is there a "you can't lose" among those brands? Why is innova evo better than plain innova?

Innova has grain in it. EVO is grain free and closer to a raw diet.. but in kibble form. Even if you can't feed raw, for oral health, your dog should get some raw items like chicken backs, turkey necks or chicken necks, pork neck bones once or twice a week. If hubby has a problem with it, tell him it's cheaper than getting your dog's teeth cleaned at the vets, not to mention teeth that will need to be pulled if they start rotting.

Offline jn

• Posts Too Much!
  • bunnylicious!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 09:28:27 AM »
What are chicken backs and where do you get hem?  :confused:

Does this mean it's perfectly okay to let the dog have the occasional raw meat scrap (chicken OR beef?)

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 03:57:11 PM »
Chicken backs are just.. the backs of chickens. The bones are fairly soft and crunched easily. I have only found them at Wild Oats, a health food store about an hour from me. Some grocery stores sell them. Just buying a whole chicken and cutting it up in Yorkie size bits will last your dog a long time, if you're only feeding it a few times a week to keep teeth clean. By scraps do you mean skin/fat or a meaty scrap with or without bone? I wouldn't feed just fat or skin. Without being used to anything raw, and being so oily it might give her diarrhea.

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 11:15:55 PM »
I feed all my large dogs Canidae.  They also do excellent on that.  I recommend that food to everyone.  Those bites are probably a good size for him too.

I will have to look into dry Evo.  I have fed the canned Evo. 

The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 12:28:44 AM »
I feed my dog (and cats) Chicken Soup for the Soul.  It's all human grade ingredients, and has always had wonderful reviews.  Sorry, but I'm just way too lazy to attempt raw.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 01:40:58 AM »
All the brands listed so far are good brands. I personally feed my dogs Wellness and Merrick along with a cooked diet. Some dogs do better on different brands than others. I fed Nutro for a long time with no issues, but when we switched to the Wellness I got better control of Asher's seizures. A dog nutrition list I'm on recommends using at least 2 different brands just to cover your bases and it never hurts to add some fresh foods (cooked or raw chicken, beef, pork, lamb, etc- either muscle meat or organs, yogurt, etc) to the kibble.

I would look into buying smaller bags- I don't know the shelf life of open bags of kibble, but I'd try to use it up within a couple months.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline jn

• Posts Too Much!
  • bunnylicious!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
I only buy the big bags because that's all they have, which is just as well because it's kind of inconvenient to go there anyway. I can't carry 20 lbs of dog food AND wrangle 2 toddlers who want to run off in different directions at once :)

I think based on the price and ingredients I am going to try both Canidae and Chicken Soup,... both are available on that pet food site so we'll see how it works out :)

Thanks everyone! I don't think Nutro is "bad" but I do strive to feed us all better! And he does get occasional treats - cooked meat that doesn't have sauce or breading or anything on it, we give him leftovers. As well as steamed veggies and fresh cut veggies, which he loves, though I'm not sure if he Needs but it can't be bad for him. :)

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 07:05:10 PM »
I fed Wellness for a while and recently switched to Timberwolf Organics because it's a wonderful food  :)
I could never do raw!
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline jn

• Posts Too Much!
  • bunnylicious!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 02:28:11 PM »
Well, I got four mini packs. Canidae (chicken, and lamb) and wellness and chicken soup for the dog lover's soul.

I doubt this is the right way to do it but just out of curiosity we let him taste them all , and he did eat them, but with the chicken soup, he was like "OOH! THAT'S GOOD!" and was seriously waiting for more  :yelcutelaugh: 

I think we're just going to use all of them one at a time mixed in with his reg food and see how he does on each one.