Author Topic: Raw Diet  (Read 18772 times)

Offline 1lila1

• Posts Too Much!
  • PEW's are love!
Re: Raw Diet
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2006, 12:20:05 AM »
Thanks so much for the info, Kim!  You have been a huge help.  I really appreciate it. 
Mama to 5 rattie boyz, 1 kittie boy, and 1 doggie girl.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2006, 06:37:10 PM »
There would be less arguments if you didn't read things into what I post that I did not write?  I've been asking questions - and getting told not to due to being more cautious about this diet.
just a quick glimpse on this page only shows one question posted by you, about cooking v. raw (which i answered).

I didn't say no one else cares about their families.
clearly the wording you used made at least a few of us feel that the implication was present.

Some of the things Kim stretched to etremes I did not say.

and the reverse isnt true of what you posted towards me? what did i stretch to extremes, exactly?
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2006, 06:48:25 PM »
For the record, I read the exact same things from the post as Kim and Trubandloki did

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2006, 06:54:29 PM »
heather - if amos can handle it, by all means do it (i just wouldnt feed multiple organ only meals then, since theyonly need a small amount each week, proportionally).
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2006, 03:29:46 AM »
Thanks Kim. But should the heart be treated as a muscle or offal.. and how many times can it be fed a week?

On another note, I was fiddling around with the serach engine looking to learn more about the diet (I'm always learning something new everyday) and came across this link. http://rawfed.com/myths/ Maybe this will give you a better understanding about the diet, Kat. I think it presents the information in a professional manner and uses non biased resources to back up information. Hope this helps.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2006, 06:18:21 AM »
heart isnt muscle meat OR offal in my book - its heart muscle. while it is a muscle, i consider it separate from all others in my book because animals need it in its OWn right, for taurine, etc.

i feed heart 2-3 times a week, personally. i admit i do not know if that is enough to assure nutritional soundness, but it sounds right to me (so there is my public service announcement).

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2006, 08:19:51 AM »
Kim and Heather...

What do you guys do about traveling with feeding raw? This is the only reason I still feed any kibble.. I feed a little bit here and there to make sure Tessa still eats kibble, so if I went out of town I would be able to bring kibble with, or if I needed to have my dad dogsit for me he could just feed kibble. I guess I could just use canned food for traveling? I'm thinking the canned food makes me gag as much as the raw does, so I might as well switch over to more raw. Will a dog snub canned food after being on raw for a while? I'm thinking a dog may very well snub kibble after being on raw, but then my dog eats anything so who knows. I live far from my family, so for holidays or whatnot I travel, and of course Tessa comes with. I know feeding raw would NOT go over well in either my dads home (because his gf and I clash about EVERYTHING, especially taking care of animals... Although I finaly got them to stop feeding Science Diet), and its hard enough for me to get permission to bring my dog when I visit my mom (she usualy requests I ask my dad to watch her) so if I was staying overnight with Tessa I don't think raw meals would go over well. Also stuff like camping, when I wouldnt have access to a fridge or freezer... I guess basicaly all my rambling boils down to if a dog will ever snub canned food? Since that could be my answer.

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2006, 11:59:25 AM »
I think you could put Tessa on canned food if it's just temporary. When I go out of town, I have the petsitter feed Amos raw. I plan out the meals and write them down and label the bags of meat so she doesn't have to even think about it. I just fed Amos some Innova Evo or something that's 95% duck and he still eats raw. Then again, he'll eat kibble if he can get it too. LOL. I have never traveled with a raw fed dog before, but I would bring along a can of fish, and I would have a small cooler for his foods. They are frozen now so no biggy if they thaw while traveling, I can repack the cooler with ice when I get to my destination. Just make sure the ziploc bags are airtight. Another option I do when I know I'll be home really late or early morning, I'll feed Amos his whole meals for the day (which equal 1/2 lb) and that way I don't have to worry about it. If you're staying overnight just feed Tessa her food before you leave and feed her on her regular schedule when you get home again. And if your family doesn't want raw meat on the floors, you can cut up some of her meat meals in pieces she doesn't have to drag around. Or bring a mat and train her to eat only on it. Or feed her when they all go to bed (and you could probably feed her once a day then as well). Alot of raw sites I've visited recommend feeding only once a day, but I feed twice a day. *shrug* I guess it's personal preference. Like some people fast their dogs and some don't.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 12:04:36 PM by Heather »

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2006, 12:08:58 PM »
I don't use petsitters, Tessa comes with me. It would get too complicated to try to explain my family, so I'll just repeat its not an option to feed raw when I am visiting. The cooler isnt an option either.. I shouldn't have bothered posting lol, I'll just use canned for travel.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2006, 09:11:57 PM »
ive travelled for 4 years with raw fed dogs, its not hard .

when i am not with the dog, whomever petsits for them feeds raw. i either bring it to their house (bowie would stay with my mom), or the petsitter who stays at my place will feed the raw. i typically just have tupperware containers of ground and they can thaw one prior to each meal and just feed. even frozen, it took most of my dogs about 10 seconds to eat 1-3 lbs of ground.

when i travel personally (and its typically at least once a month), i bring a cooler with meat, or buy meat wherever i end up.  i usually start with all ground, since most of the time i wont have an hour (ha, who am i kidding, 20 minutes for rah) to let them eat a nice big meaty bone. starting completely frozen in a cooler with ice, i can last an entire weekend without it completely thawing, even in 100 degree weather this summer - i left the cooler in my car. in some places, i have friends that raw feed and then i can jsut feed some of their stuff, which makes it easier on me.

just curious, why is travelling with a cooler not an option? they dont take up much room at all.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2006, 04:04:13 AM »
Its the places where I travel to, when cooler wouldnt be an option... It could be an option for camping, but thats it. The majority of the time when I leave for overnight trips its to either see my parents, or I'm leaving overnight and my dad is watching Tessa for me.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2007, 12:42:13 AM »
uhm, bumping because theres been recent link-age to this topic, and I wanted to add in that Ive been feeding completely raw. Shortly after my last post in this topic too I think it was, that I started feeding completely raw diet. And I LOVE it. I love what its done for the foster dogs Ive had too.

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2007, 01:29:26 AM »
Hey I'll update on my situation too. Amos is no longer "foster dog" as everyone on the forum can see, and he's been on raw since the beginning of July? or something? He's completely healthy. Everyone I've met has commented on how beautiful his coat and body shape is and I love the fact that his breath doesn't stink!