Author Topic: Cat Litter - cough cough!  (Read 11430 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Cat Litter - cough cough!
« on: May 09, 2006, 11:30:03 AM »
What Cat litter do you guys use?  I was using clumping... the yellow bag...  Just changed back to yesterday's news.  I really do not like the clay.  What works for you guys?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 10:53:53 AM by *Kat* »

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Cat Litter
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »
I *think* we use the clumping kind, that comes in a yellow and blue box?  Maybe Tidy Cat?

Dave takes care of buying/changing the litter, so...   :-[   ;D

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 12:55:07 PM »
mike and I have been using "The Worlds Best Cat Litter" it's kind of pricey but it's dust free and it lasts forever. I love it.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 01:06:31 PM »
I've never heard of that!  I'll have to try it out...

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 01:09:49 PM »
PetsMart carries it, I know that much. Here's a linky for more info.  :thumbsup2:

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 01:13:25 PM »
I use scoop away brand scoopable cat litter. I get it cheap from walmart, and it works GREAT. Awesome scoopability and odour control. Plus you get these points everytime you buy a bucket, and eventualy get a free bucket. Also, I reuse the buckets. Right now one is storing my cat food, and another one is storing my suebees mix. Very handy!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 01:46:56 PM »
I use Tidy Cats clumping litter.  Mostly 'cause I can get it at Walmart.  I may have to go to Petsmart and check out that World's Best, though....

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 04:56:08 PM »
World's Best was recommended to me, but was way too pricey. I use either Tidy Cats Scoop or Exquisicat (Petsmart brand) scoopable (unscented). Whichever is on sale or cheaper at the time!

We did clay for several years but it's just not workable anymore. We've done the pearls but they didn't work properly. Scoopable seems to be the way to go for our five boxes.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 05:54:12 PM »
I used the "worlds" best cat litter once and I hated it. It was dragged everywhere and has this funky smell to it. Never again! It smells so gross.   :-X

Offline KellyNZoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moo!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 11:29:02 PM »
We use the crystals here. I like how they absorb the urine, so I waste less (no clumps to scoop, just poopies).

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 06:56:33 AM »
Just a note on the crystals, if you research them they are not a good idea. While they absorb the urine so YOU can't smell it, your cat is another story..  their senses of smell are so advanced we can't even imagine in. Plus, theres many accounts of cats avoiding litterboxes because they don't like the feel of the crystals. With not being able to scoop out urine waste, you have to change the litter yet with a proper scooping litter and good scooping job (daily or so, without breaking up any of the clumps) you never have to change litter. So I believe clumping is also much cheaper... But, its personal preference. My cats did NOT like crystal or pearl litters, and later I read about the things I mentioned above.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 07:07:27 AM »
I guess I wish there was something like scoopable - but not in clay form.  Does that make any sence?  UGH!  Thanks you guys.  I think Tidy cat is what we did have...

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 07:16:12 AM »
Why do you not like the clay? I believe the litter mentioned by rap, worlds best is scoopable but not clay. Its corn based? So you can try that.

Heres some quotes from a veterinarians page about cat litters. She is VERY well respected and her advice and information has worked wonders for me...
"It is critical to be able to remove both the feces and the urine each time the box is cleaned.  Clumping litter is the only type of litter that allows for this to be done completely.  Complete removal of the urine is not possible with the non-clumping clay litters, the white pearl litters and any type of pelleted litters such as newspaper or pine.  Remember, even a small amount of urine smells strong to a cat!  With non-clumping litters, only the feces are removed and possibly a small amount of the urine, thus only ‘flushing’ half of the cat’s toilet.  VERY IMPORTANT:   Many cases of inappropriate elimination have been triggered by the use of the pelleted litters (pine and newspaper pellets) and the white pearl/crystal litters.  These products are very uncomfortable for the cat to walk on!  They may be ‘human friendly’ but they are NOT ‘cat friendly.’  The same goes for the plastic ‘grass’ mats that are placed outside the box to trap the litter.  These mats are also NOT comfortable for a cat to walk on. " By Lisa A. Pierson, DVM. There is more about litter Here.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 08:31:27 AM »
Most of the clay litter is dusty, it gets tracked all over and get between the pads of their paws.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 08:39:32 AM »
I hear you about it being dusty... I have matts in front of the litter boxes plus I vacuum every couple days from hair anyway so I don't notice it being tracked bad. But the dust kills me, I wear a medical grade mask to scoop the boxes to prevent asthma attacks. Without the mask I get an attack everytime. Theres a litter called "Cat Attract" and you can get it at petsmart. Its still a clay based litter, but its 99% dust free. Plus has herbs added to it to attract the cats, and is supposed to be better odour control too. Its more expensive, so I can't afford to try it yet.

Offline taku

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 08:54:23 AM »
I tried Yesterday's News a year or so ago for cat litter. Everysingle cat used the litter box that didn't have the YN in it. They hated it. So, I tried the method in which you slowly intergrate the new with the old. Nuh uh...they weren't having it. So back to the clumping litter.
    I've used nearly every brand of cat litter. My favorites have to be Scoop Away and Fresh Step.  I also have reused the containers for various reasons..cleaning fish tanks, storing items, household projects, etc. Sometimes we buy 5-10 buckets at a time when they're on sale. I've also purchased the large bags of Tidy Cat non clumping litter for emergencies and sick kitties, and when I fostered litter training kittens. Excellent at absorbing spilled chemicals in the garage, too.
     I HATE the crystals in cat litters. Perhaps I had a bad experience. It seemed to goop up and made cleaning the litter boxes harder and more disgusting. It reminded me of a baby's diaper full of urine. Yuck.
People can be made to believe any lie, either because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it's true.-Terry Goodkind

Offline ratsamongus

• Posts Too Much!
  • ~ rats are magic ~
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 01:47:37 AM »
I used Scoop Away for 13 years until I decided to try Swheat Scoop.  I will never go back to the Scoop Away, ever!  The Swheat Scoop is really great, absolutely zero catbox smell, lasts a pretty good while, clumps great and is flushable!   :thumbsup2:

Offline taku

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 08:44:52 AM »
I used Scoop Away for 13 years until I decided to try Swheat Scoop.  I will never go back to the Scoop Away, ever!  The Swheat Scoop is really great, absolutely zero catbox smell, lasts a pretty good while, clumps great and is flushable!   :thumbsup2:

I've never tried Swheat Scoop. I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the recommendation!
People can be made to believe any lie, either because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it's true.-Terry Goodkind

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 10:54:23 AM »
I use the Special Kitty clumpable (green box) from WalMart.  I love it.  No odors. And it's the least expensive I've found that WORKS!!

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 03:09:21 PM »
I use the crystals too. My Wendi ADORES it. Seriously. Though their whole "you only need to change it once a month" is completely insane. Removing the poops and moving the litter around twice a day, with one small cat, I change it completely every two weeks if not more. It is kind of pricey but honestly it's the best I've found in terms of odour control and manageable tracking.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 04:32:48 PM »

I think I'll try this when we finish this bag.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 04:39:34 PM »
How much is Swheat scoop compared to scoop away? And, any idea if walmart carries it? (I should be going to walmart tonight, so I don't know why I'm bothering to ask lol) Id much rather use something better for the environment.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 04:49:28 PM »
I've never seen it at Walmart - I know Petsmart carries it.
14lb for 8.99
25lb for 13.99

Offline Grace

• Posts Too Much!
  • Don't shop, adopt!
    • Graceful Moose Diapers
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2006, 12:16:54 PM »
I think I tried swheat scoop years ago, and hated it.  I don't remember why though.

I can't stand the thought of using something other than clumping litter, and I use either Fresh Step or Scoop Away.  I can never remember which it is, but I think it's Scoop Away.  It's cheap, and the clumps don't fall apart when you scoop the box!

Visit us at Mainely Rat Rescue
Don't forget to visit our STORE

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2006, 02:39:39 PM »
My cats didn't like the wheat stuff...  at all.  ;)

I hate how litter can track everywhere.  We've found it on the BED..  yuck!!!  The little mats don't even matter because the cats jump over them.