Author Topic: Cat Litter - cough cough!  (Read 11697 times)

Offline ratsamongus

• Posts Too Much!
  • ~ rats are magic ~
Re: Cat Litter
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 02:24:07 AM »
The Swheat Scoop clumps very well and it doesn't seem to be "sticky" like the Scoop Away was when it had pee clumps.  I does track just like all other litter but another thing I like about it is that it doesn't have any of that perfumey stuff in it and is all natural and the smell isn't at all bad, even when it has pee in it.  I has a sort of "baked goods" smell, to me anyway  :P I just love the stuff.   For once in all the time of having cats, I don't have a catbox issue  :)

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 07:54:28 AM »
Ive found catlitter tracked on my bed before... And actualy, not just ON my bed, but IN my bed. Under the covers... Why you ask?

And after he noticed me taking pictures..

« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 07:57:17 AM by Lin171 »

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 11:11:05 AM »
Hehe, awww!  Very cute!

I actually caught my tortie like that yesterday too!  I did take pics, but they aren't uploaded yet.  :)

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2006, 03:36:19 PM »
Ok, so, on Pie's recommendation, I bought the Special Kitty clumping litter at Walmart, and I'm in love!!  It's half the price of the Tidy Cats, and works better, IMO.  Better odor control, better clumping.  It says "scented", but it's not overly perfumed.  In fact, I don't think it's scented so much as it's just that it absorbs the odor better!  Either way, just want to add my enthusiastic approval for something that works better and saves me money!  Yay!

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2006, 03:44:17 PM »
Hmm.. maybe I should try that after the move.  The closest Walmart here is too far away, and really nasty - I don't want to risk my life to go in there.   :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2006, 03:57:41 PM »
Yep yep, I wouldn't use it if it wasn't good.  I tried Tidy Cat 3 and it was HORRIBLE in comparison!  I've asked many people when they come over if they can smell 'cat' in my house, and they've all said no.  I say, BE HONEST!! because I NEED to know!  They insist that unless the cat has recently used the litter box, there is NO cat smell in my house, even when close to the litter box.

However, I'm finding it VERY difficult to get the larger green box of the litter, and have had to buy the smaller jug, for almost the same price.  I'm starting to buy two boxes at a time when it's available.  Maybe next time, I'll get THREE, now that I'm up to 5 cats and two litter boxes!

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2006, 04:30:09 PM »
I have two litter boxes for just three - but I HAVE to.  Yuki is waaaay too picky!

I know what you mean about not being able to tell if a place smells like "cat".  I'd probably never notice it since I'm around them all the time.  I try really hard to keep everything clean and smelling nice!

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2006, 09:34:16 PM »
5 cats to 2 boxes?! I have 4 boxes for 2 cats. But they are really picky. Theres 2 in the pet room, and 2 in the utility room. In each room, one is the designated urine box and the other is the designated poop box. Its so funny...

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2006, 10:11:26 PM »
So what is the price of Walmart's Special Kitty litter, and how many pounds?

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2006, 10:31:18 PM »
So what is the price of Walmart's Special Kitty litter, and how many pounds?

-Melina

I think it was $5.48? (not positive on the change) for 28 lbs.  I paid 9 something for the Tidy Cats.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2006, 01:44:42 AM »
Yep, sounds right.  Or $4.59ish for a 16 lb jug.  Now ya see why I prefer the larger box!  ;)

And yeah, I get away with the 4 cats using the one box, since I scoop several times a day, no biggie.  :)  Bagheera has his own personal litter box with him in my daugher's room.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2006, 08:32:10 AM »
The real test for if it smells is to not tell someone where it is and see if they comment about "what is that"  or mine is in the room next to the kitchen - if it smells, it is next to the kitchen and you will know it when you cook - yuck!  Plus, you shouldn't have to beg people to ask - I've asked Dor's aunt before - I'd rather be told than have it be the discusion of everyone else!

I just got my first bag of the wheat stuff yesterday - they showed intersted in it right away and used it.  44lb for $19.99

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 08:57:14 AM »
We have five boxes. I would simply die at paying $20 for 44lbs. LMAO  I am going to check out the Walmart stuff. I've not browsed their pet aisle in forever to be honest..might find other good deals too.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 09:34:59 PM »
OK, dor has a stronger nose than me at most times - and when I was stiring up the litter box tonight to scoop it his reply was "have they used it, I can't smell anything"  I know it's good stuff - The works much better than any of the clay or recycled paper I've ever used!

Offline ratsamongus

• Posts Too Much!
  • ~ rats are magic ~
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2006, 03:22:42 PM »
OK, dor has a stronger nose than me at most times - and when I was stiring up the litter box tonight to scoop it his reply was "have they used it, I can't smell anything"  I know it's good stuff - The works much better than any of the clay or recycled paper I've ever used!

YAY!!  :hyper:  glad you like it!  I think it's great stuff too!

Offline Kathleen

• Posts Too Much!
  • R.I.P. Delilah
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2006, 04:46:35 AM »
I'm currently using a generic clumping litter made by Longs Drugstores. I like it, as it is cheap and controls odor well. I have tried Swheat scoop and hated it...maybe there's something odd about my cats? I dunno. I found that it didn't control odor at all, so my whole apartment smelled like cat pee. Ick. Also, the clumps were weird and sticky, leaving lots of gross stuff on my litter scooper which had to be wiped off. I am an anti-walmart person, so I haven't tried theirs. I think my favorite has been Scoop Away with some Trader Joe's crystals added to it. Scoop Away seems to control odor really well and is often on sale, and the crystals seem to help stave off the need to dump all of the litter and change it, so adding them saves money and time.

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2006, 03:53:47 PM »
Well, I tried another kind just to see (my cat may be psycho but she's incredible with litter ... I can switch it around from one kind to the other, move the box to another room and she doesn't even blink). Anyway, it's called Pee Pod Natural Clumping Litter  :P and made form some sort of plant fiber. It was HORRIBLE  :doh:. The consistency reminds me of baby cereal (you know, pablum) with little flakes and such. I'm sure it's comfortable for her paws but good god is it dusty :eek: and had the worse tracking I'd ever seen. Every time I would fill the box it created this giant cloud of dust ... and wasn't good at absorbing smells. I tolerated it one week before going back to my old litter.

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2006, 03:58:48 PM »
Oh, and a little gadget you can get to put near your litter box. It's just activated charcoal so no danger for the respiratory systems of your pet and it gently filters the air without adding any artificial scents. I find that it works pretty well at getting rid of really any and all smell even just after your pet has used the box.

http://www.shopperscart.com/indoor-fountains/59730.html

I found mine at Canadian Tire for less than C$20. Seriously worth it.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2006, 06:38:29 PM »
I have a similar thing where my litterboxes are. Same manufacturer, true air. But I don't buy the plain activated charcoal filters, I get the extra strength ones. They have charcoal and crystals... I have those in the pet room and utility room, and then heavier duty air purifiers in my bedroom, and living room and an inbetween one in my kitchen.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2006, 12:20:21 PM »
Yep yep, I wouldn't use it if it wasn't good.  I tried Tidy Cat 3 and it was HORRIBLE in comparison!  I've asked many people when they come over if they can smell 'cat' in my house, and they've all said no.  I say, BE HONEST!! because I NEED to know!  They insist that unless the cat has recently used the litter box, there is NO cat smell in my house, even when close to the litter box.

We got some and tried it - I didn't notice a cat box smell, but I didn't notice one anyway unless Yuki had just went.  (and woooooo...  he can be RIPE sometimes!  :yelcutelaugh:)  Dave is good about keeping them cleaned out a few times a week, so..

Anyways, Dave didn't like the smell of the litter ITSELF!  He wants to stick with the kind he's been buying.  Or maybe he's just being picky coz the litterbox is his domain?  ;)  (since he does all the cleaning for it.)

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2006, 04:45:50 PM »
Weird.  I've never noticed that the litter itself had any odor.  If it does, it's certainly not offensive to me.

Offline Leonakitty

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal are my friends, and I don't eat my friends.
    • Leona's Art
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2006, 05:49:51 PM »
"And yeah, I get away with the 4 cats using the one box, since I scoop several times a day, no biggie.  Bagheera has his own personal litter box with him in my daugher's room."

GAH!  Are you serious? 4 cats +1 box = trouble a' brewing.  The general rule of thumb is a box per cat plus one... that way no one ever has to wait for a bathroom.  And believe me, when you work as a foster mom at a rescue, you have LOTS of cats and LOTS of boxes sitting around.  I feel naughty right now only having 4 boxes and 4 cats.  It's sweet that you clean so often, though... but why not get another box or two?  They are so cheap and it will help prevent accidental soiling (which is a BEAR to stop once someone gets going... foster cat Schotzi, I'm looking at you!)

As for litter, we get donated litter most of the time from the rescue to keep the foster parent's costs down.  I could also get donated food but I *refuse* to feed any cat the quality of food we get (even so called "premium" foods like Sci. Diet are no where near good enough!)  When I buy litter, I get Cat's Pride.  It's American Humane Association approved and the company conducts no captive animal testing which is really important to me! It's good stuff, hard clumping, not too scented, not too dusty.  It's clay, but I have no issues with it.  I've used a lot of litters... Papurr was okay.  Crystals, meh.  Tidy Cat, which I use when donated, does what it's supposed to.  Litter Love was decent but pelleted so the cats weren't fond of it (it's aspen pellets, though, so I'm going to give it a whirl with the ratties!). I never used the cheap Walmart brand... Cat's Pride is available there, too, for cheap and I went for the one I knew was ethical back when I worked at Wally World (boo hiss).  I think I used a wheat one once and was meh, or perhaps it was corn cob?  I dunno.  So many cat toilets I've cleaned.  Heh.

Cat's Pride is good, though.  Yup.

Melissa

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2006, 05:55:51 PM »
^^ I agree! I can't imagine only having one box. But I also do lots of fostering, plus Ive had some litterbox issues myself when my cats demanded I scoop more often and use a better litter. I have 4 boxes and 3 cats now (just got a new addition!!!). I also still have the foster kitten, but shes got her own litterbox. Theres just so many things, like some cats like to pee in one box while pooping in another (my cats do this!). Or possibility of one cat aggressively blocking the box etc. But I guess if it works for your cats, that would be nice to one have one box! Don't have to hide a variety of boxes.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2006, 08:06:35 PM »
Weird.  I've never noticed that the litter itself had any odor.  If it does, it's certainly not offensive to me.

I never noticed it having a smell either, although I didn't really bend down to sniff it or anything.  ;)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Cat Litter - cough cough!
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »
Eeek!  We were almost out of Swheat Scoop a few weeks ago and weren't going all the way out to where we could get another bag yet.  So we decided to try High Performance Arm and Hammer.  Made of the same type of stuff, cheaper, lasts longer - I loved it!  So sent Dor out to get more.  He brought home Multi-Cat Arm and Hammer.  Arm and Hammer Crystals in it.  UGH!  I just topped off the boxes after I scooped and first off - the litter is tiny, second off it is clay, and 3rd - there was a cloud of dust that is still sitting in my nose driving me nuts, I might just go wash my nose out - yuck, but this is driving me nuts.  I put a review on their comments on their website, maybe I'll at least get some coupons for the stuff I like, but this stuff is horrible, I don't even know if I can finish useing it!