Author Topic: Repair Men and Cats  (Read 2872 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Repair Men and Cats
« on: May 09, 2006, 02:30:14 PM »
How do you guys handle this type of situation?  I have been working on getting the phone jacks working so a guy came over yesterday and gave me a lot of additude, I asked him before I let him in if he had allergies or fears to cats or dogs - I always do this when someone has to come in my house to work on anything - he replied no, he had animals at home.  I proceeded with my normal - they will likely stay out of your way - but please keep an eye out for them - the like to hide when people are over, and make sure when you go in and out that there is not a cat near you.

He proceeded yesterday to leave my back door standing partly open... GRRR... Called his supervisor about that yesterday...

Well, he wouldn't do the work yesterday, so he was sent back today - showed up 2 and a half hours early - no call nothing.  Acted like he owned my house, got in my way when I went to take the puppy out (nother issue)  Not so upset about that - she got out and did her stuff outside this time.

But then he goes to my bedroom.  Pulls out our long dresser - so it is angled to the wall - open by him - and I see Crookshanks back there Fluffed to 2 or 3 times her size scared - he blocked her way out and wouldn't get out of her way so she could get away from him.  My cats don't like being out with strangers - but I have never had them react so negatively to anyone!  He later blocked the path of 2 of my other cats.  To me it's common sence to take an extra minute to let the pet get out of the way - giving them the space for it!  Didn't occur to this guy.  I was pissed.  I've got 2 guys - both older and bigger than I, in seporate places in my houe - one having no respect for my pets in their own house! 

I called my neighbor and asked her to come over - if my pets have a bad feeling about someone, they are usually right.  Also called Dor - he called the supervisor again and it is now on our record that this worker is never allowed to step foot into our house again - he might be lucky if he has a job.  Dor told them about him being rude to me, having no consideration for the pets - gave me lip about being on my cell phone in my house! 

So... how do you guys handle this sort of sitation - did I go overboard, does what I said make sence?

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Repair Men and Cats
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 03:08:59 PM »
Anyone who would be mean to my cats is not welcome in my house.  And yes, I'd trust the cat's insticts.  If Crookshanks reacted that badly, I wouldn't go near the guy!  I think you did the right thing.  I hope your poor kitties have recovered....

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 03:18:27 PM »
I think you did the right thing as well. Whether you are paying them or not, nobody has the right to treat you or your companions poorly in your own home. I trust my cats' instincts better than my own, usually, so I certainly think you did the right thing! I hope they are doing alright after that experience.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 03:24:36 PM »
Willow is sleeping and the cats are around and about, so not too scarred, but really annoyed me that he acted that way.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 04:59:42 PM »
Yup, would have annoyed me, too.   :poke:

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 05:39:12 PM »
Woe is the person who is mean to my pets  :poke: and there are always more repairmen / service companies to go with. Honestly I wouldn't have let him back after the first incident. If people feel they have the right to despise animals and be mean to them, then in my book that gives me the right to despise them and show them the door.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 05:59:28 PM »
well, whenever i have peopel over doing work in the house, for EVERYONE's safety i keep the animals locked up. the cats will go in a bedroom, the dogs are kept away - its not worth my stress to worry that sort of stuff.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 06:01:27 PM »
Locking up wasn't going to work in this situation.  There were jacks to be worked on in each of the bedrooms, the kitchen and the living room.  Plus that they showed up over 2 hours early so I couldn't even get around to preparing for them to come since it was still a ways off before they were suppose to be here - no call nothing.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 08:10:18 PM »
Yeah, I normally lock my guys up if there's work being done as well, but I know sometimes that's not a possibility.  It just sucks that people have to be so mean.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 10:45:07 PM »
I don't think you went overboard at all. I would have been furious... Ive never locked my pets up for people, except when I had my dog loose in the backyard and the cable guy needed to work on the cable outside the house and was afraid of her, then I crated her till he was gone. But my cats hide and never come out when strangers are over, and my dog has never caused a problem. Just the other day I had a repair man over to replace a window (neighbour kids shot 3 holes through with a BB gun..) and he petted Tessa and told me about his dog at home. Tessa likes to bark when the doorbell rings, and at strangers coming inside until I tell her its ok, then she gives them kisses. So I was joking around how she has a great warning bark but would never hurt a flea, and he started talking about his golden retriever at home. I guess I've been lucky to never have problems?

Oh, just remembered. My old apartment, Tessa did NOT like my landlord. She would never stop barking at him, and he would demand her be crated when he came over. Which was a LOT... that !@%$# used to just walk into my apartment without calling first OR even knocking.... So, she had good judgment on that one.

Offline Elaken

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rats are my obsession!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 11:09:24 PM »
OMG, there is no way I could have handled that type of landlord Lin171.  That would freak me out and piss me off too.
I was lucky enough to have been part of Willie's life and I am eternally grateful for the 2.5 years she gave me.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 01:30:31 AM »
It would have made me angry too.

I always make sure I'm at home if maintenance or repair men had to come over.  We had to schedule and reschedule our "initial" moving out inspection because they kept giving us less than 12 hours notice (supposed to give 48, and twice we got less five hours notice!) - we called every time to make sure they did NOT show up.

The thing is, I had to come home from work and make sure it was ok with my boss first.  I have three cats in a one bedroom apartment, and they would be going in every room.  I couldn't lock them up, and I did NOT trust my bengal male to not try to go outside - he LOVES going for walks with me and isn't scared of strangers.  (not such a good thing...) 

Anyways, when the guy came to do the inspection, he was super nice and really liked Yuki - and understood why I wanted to be there when Yuki kept going near the door every single time the guy went near it.   :doh:

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 06:49:08 AM »
OMG, there is no way I could have handled that type of landlord Lin171.  That would freak me out and piss me off too.
There was more. He would schedule repair men to come over, and give them a key without informing me. So who knows how many times strange people were over when I wasn't home. My apartment was the only access to the basement, so when anything was wrong in ANY of the apartments, they fixed it through mine. I was often home when people came over unexpectedly, but I know many times I wasn't because my landlord once called me and requested I crate my dog whenever I leave so he and repair men don't have to worry about her... UGH. The landlord came over when I was out of town for thanksgiving, and his way of letting me know he'd been over was leaving his card on my kitchen counter by the back door. There were other issues, the entire building (4 apartments) had completely shared air. And the guy upstairs started complaining about my pets the day I moved in. (I think he was mad because he'd been stealing cable from the previous tenant, and it was cut off when I moved in...) So supposedly he complained about allergies and asthma (when I have serious allergies and asthma and was fine...) and the landlord said I wasn't taking proper care of my pets. So he came over in early march and said, either the pets go or I go. I said, "See ya!". I was thinking, being let out of my lease early? ALL RIGHT! And I ended up moving from that one bedroom apartment with slum landlord in the ghetto part of the city, to a 3 bedroom house in a nice suburb on the north side for only 25 more a month  :shocked2: So all ended well! And now I am done derailing this thread, sorry!

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 03:42:57 PM »
im sorry, but its still possibel to lock the cats up - ive had to be home when m windows were replaced, which involved going from room to room to do it (and with open windows, its a BIG cat hazard) --
and i just rotated cats through rooms when needed. and if someone showed up early, i would say wait outside until i get them away - shouldnt take that long, right?

im sorry, doesnt really matter how "hard" or "difficult" it is for me , if its in the animals best interest.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline Elaken

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rats are my obsession!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 03:58:55 PM »
Well since he said he was fine with animals and had them at home I don't think Kat expected this too happen.  Especially if they get so scared I think it might be worse for them to be shuffled from room to room if it wasn't necessary.
I was lucky enough to have been part of Willie's life and I am eternally grateful for the 2.5 years she gave me.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 05:47:33 PM »
shouldnt take that long, right?

im sorry, doesnt really matter how "hard" or "difficult" it is for me , if its in the animals best interest.

Try that with three kitties, two of whom are scared and most likely hiding behind a couch while the third will make a run toward any open door.  ;)

For me, personally - it was much easier and safer/less stressful for the cats for me to just be there to supervise.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 06:06:56 PM »
Exactly NutKitty - Let me just have you stand outside for a minute (or 50)  Drag 2 cats out from under the bed... put them in the bathroom... Find another behind the dresser - put that one in the bathroom too - one slips past me as I put that one in.  So Go check behind the couch and get that one back in.  Then search the house to see where the other one is... Move the bed across the room to try to get that cat out, put them in bathroom, another 2 run past me... etc.  Hence why I ask if they have allergies or such.  If they have any problems with the animals.  If they say no to both then ok, if either the answer is yes, ask them to return to work and send someone else out.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 06:09:05 PM by Kat »