Author Topic: I'm so relieved... my baby's getting better!  (Read 1664 times)

Offline ***ratties_foreva***

I'm so relieved... my baby's getting better!
« on: May 09, 2006, 07:24:11 PM »
I have a white albino dumbo named Socks. I had an old berkshire named Cocoa who was a little aggressive, but not much. He often, often, OFTEN fought with Socks. (Cocoa was a petstore rat, so I didn't breed him, but I got him to be cage mates with socks. See, I live in a smaller town, so I have to go out of town to get bred rats, so if I'm not getting breeders, I'll just get petstore rats.)

Since many of my boys have fought before, I didn't pay much attention. Until Socks started looking thinner and beat up. "Sibling Rivalry," I thought to myself, giving the rats MORE food so they wouldn't fight. (I don't know if that was the best thing to do, but I've never had this happen before.)
Days passed and every day Socks looked a little more ruffled. Not hurt, but ruffled. You know? He didn't look quite himself and he was still a little thin.
Then, at night, the rats kept me awake at night fighting. It got really bad, and I was starting to get worried.  :( I didn't know what to do and I didn't know about this forum. (I found this online searching for rat stuff.) So, I watched them fight and separated them as much as I could.
Then one morning, I woke up and saw Socks. He was missing a toe, and there was a dried blood scab where most of his toe used to be. He had two bloody nicks in his ear, cuts all over his tail and there were several bleeding gashes on his back. He could walk, but he was limping, and it obviously hurt for him to be held. I freaked out.
I put Socks in a separate cage. He stopped bleeding soon and his wounds turned to large scabs, and some of the hair around them fell out and was pulled out in the fight.
The first thing I did was give Cocoa to a good home. I couldn't keep him if he was going to hurt his cage mate, so I gave him away to a friend.
Then, I focused on Socks. He was getting better and he gained the weight back fast. In a little less than a week, most of his scabs disappeared. The only thing left was his hair.
And now that is almost all grown out. So his plush white coat is thick and soft once more. The nicks in his ear and his missing toe will always be there, but at least I still have my Socks.

You may be wondering why I posted this...  :wave2:
Two reasons-

1) I wanted to express my joy that Socks is healthy, no longer limps, and is completely better with his new cage mate 2 month old Coke.

2) For anyone who has an aggressive rat, and thinks that they may be aggressive, DON'T keep him with other rats! There are dire consequences. Socks could have been killed. I rescued him just in time. Keep your aggressor in an isolated cage. If you can't keep him like I couldn't, get him a home. A great home is a family who only want one rat instead of two.
I'm sad that I had to give away Cocoa, but I'm glad that Socks is okay.

And that's my story for today. lol  ;D

Emily

Offline Reverend Sin

• Posts Too Much!
  • L.A.4.B.J.C
Re: I'm so relieved... my baby's getting better!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 09:48:19 PM »
I'm a bit confused. You're rat was looking skinny and beat up but you left them together and seperated them as much as possible? (Either you seperate them or you don't)
Then the already beat up skinny hungry rat gets more beat up so finally you seperate them and give the agressive one away? Then get another one? Why couldn't you keep cocoa?
I am a bit confused with the breeder thing too. Do you breed? If so why are you buying pet store rats?

Sorry I'm just not understanding everything here.

Offline MissRico

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 10:33:07 PM »
I'm also a bit confused...why couldn't you keep Cocoa??  Did you try introductions first?  That might have helped in this kind of situation if you did that first before moving Socks in with Cocoa...Well I'm glad Socks is ok excpet for his few  battle scars...Still confused about the situation though.... :-\

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 08:54:08 PM »
Okay. Sorry. I guess I wasn't clear.

I live out of town of breeders so I only get my breeder rats from breeders. So if I have any just plain companion rats, they come from petstores.

After quarinting, I put the petstore rat and breeder rat together. (Also after introductions.)
I had had Cocoa and Socks together for about... a little over a month, I think.

I couldn't keep Cocoa because he was aggressive toward Socks and I don't have enough room and cages for a separate cage so he could be alone so I gave him to a good home.

And Socks wasn't really skinny or beat up. He was thinner than his usual fat self (lol) and he sometimes had bitemarks or stuff like that, so naturally, I was a little worried but not majorly.

What I meant by separating them as much as possible is, I give each of my rats an hour to three hours alone on my bed, playing with me a day so that they have time away from each other in their cages. So I extended the time I kept Cocoa and Socks in their cage and played with them even more.

I got another rat because Socks is social and Cocoa obviously wasn't. (Cocoa was the newer rat and after quarinting and the introductions, he obviously couldn't handle being with another rat. So I gave him to a good home where he could be kept as a lone rat. I would have kept him if I could, but I didn't have room for another cage, as I already have a big cage, medium cage, travelling cage, hermit traveling cage, 2 nurseries and soon to be three nurseries...)

So the other rat, Coke, is the newest and after quarinting and intros, he and Socks are getting along great, which I am relieved about.

If you're still confused, keep asking questions, cause I have a cold and I've been sorta out of it... lol

Em

Offline sarahem007

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 10:56:52 PM »
It took four weeks for my 18mon to accept two 8week olds.
It wasn't always a pretty sight to see the babies pushed hard or flipped but that's just how it goes sometimes.

As for Socks and Cocoa..
How long did the intros go?
How did you introduce them?
Run your little hearts out at the bridge, Oreo, Jet, and Licky!

Offline Reverend Sin

• Posts Too Much!
  • L.A.4.B.J.C
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 12:37:49 AM »
I see.. Well maybe its just me being harsh but if you have room to breed then you have room for a lone male. Especially if you are going to have 3 nurseries soon? That just makes no sense to me and I guess its JMO.
I'm still not understanding the out of town breeder thing. I think most of us live out of town or even out of state from breeders. The fact that you breed though just makes it weird you  buy from pet stores. I mean to each their own but why wouldnt you use your own rats you breed as companions. Maybe I'm just not getting it. Probably never will  ::)

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 07:14:33 PM »
sarahem007- Socks wasn't just being pushed and flipped- he was bitten until he bled. I introduced them gradually over a few weeks on my bed and in the bathtub. I switched their cages so that they would get used to each other's scent. Then, after all this ordeal, I changed out the litters in one of the cages and put them in there. I think that's the right process. That's what I've always used before...

Reverend Sin- All my cages are for temporary cages. (I'm also a babysitter for my friends' rats and a temporary foster owner for rescue feeders) I'm not allowed to keep more than a few long term rats at a time, and I have four right now.  (I still live at home. I'm 16.) I don't breed often, as I only have a few rats. I always get a list first, so somtimes I breed only a couple times a year. My parents will not allow me to go out of town often, so I only get breeder rats when i'm already out of town, so if I can't go out of town and I don't have any babies and I've had a rat die (which isn't often, thank goodness, but sometimes they die from old age) then I get a companion for my breeder rats cause I don't want them to be alone, even if that rat is a petstore rat.

Phew! Sorry for the long entries; I just get carried away sometimes, lol, so... yeah. My life is sort of confusing.

Em :wave2:

Offline sarahem007

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 08:03:41 PM »
I didn't imply that Socks was getting fliiped, I was just sharing my story.
I think if you would have worked with Cocoa a little longer he may have lightened up.
Run your little hearts out at the bridge, Oreo, Jet, and Licky!

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 09:33:29 PM »
possibly, but I didn't want to take the chance with Socks... he was pretty hurt, so I found Cocoa a good home and that was the best I could do at the time.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 09:57:23 PM »
Another option with aggression is to get them fixed.  It can really help.

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 09:58:00 PM »
Really? Except Cocoa was already nearly a year old, so he didn't have much longer to live cause he was pretty old...  :'(
But does neutering really help?  ???

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 10:27:44 PM »
Really? Except Cocoa was already nearly a year old, so he didn't have much longer to live cause he was pretty old...  :'(

How long are your rats living?
The average lifespan of rats is 2 to 3 years. A one year old is not considered "pretty old."

I've read through all your posts and your lack of experience and knowledge is certainly shining through. You really need to do lots more research on rats before doing anymore breeding.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 10:36:30 PM »

Yes, neutering can and does help.  Not in all cases, but when the aggression is hormone related, it can make a difference.

Like Menagerie said, a year old certainly isn't old.  I'm also curious as to how long your rats usually live to?

Offline stephie200

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006, 12:29:55 PM »
so glad your socks is alright! Must be hard to give away a rat... I've never had to. my girls will wrestle but they never bite!  ;) :)
-Stephie-
*rats* Mia, an agouti hooded, and Lizzie, an albino.