Author Topic: Introducing a New Baby to a Dog  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Tara

Introducing a New Baby to a Dog
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:15:45 PM »
Does anyone have any resources for the best way to introduce a newborn to a dog?   My first baby is due in July and we have a Shepherd mix who has been with us for about 4-years.  We believe she is 5 or 6, but are unsure because we are the fourth owners.   Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any ideas.   We are planning to bring home some things with the baby's scent for her to sniff before we bring baby home. 

~ Tara
I miss my ratties: Eddie, Buster, Samson, Stuart, and Yogi!

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
Re: Introducing a New Baby to a Dog
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 05:47:19 PM »
I've read that now is the time to start ignoring you dog a bit more so she gets used to the fact that you can't pet and play with her whenever you want to. (Not that I really know anything, I don't have kids!) I know -Kelly- recently had a baby and has a couple dogs, you might PM her and see what she did! Good luck, I grew up with dogs and as a result I'm in vet school now!
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline Apopli

• Posts Too Much!
  • rwoar!
    • ScrapYarnProject.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 11:15:38 PM »
Do you know how your dog is around kids/toddlers/babies? That's usually the best place to start. If your dog is fine with kids to begin with, it's more a matter of adjusting. Also jealousy. If your dog is at all protective or jealous of you, that's a HUGE change.

I kinda like THIS article.

Offline Tara

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 01:26:45 PM »
Thanks for responding... especially for the article!   It was really interesting, and we do have a female so the tidbit about them wanting to "clean up" after the baby will be really useful!

Gracie has a fear of other dogs which manifests as a little dog aggression, although she's been all bark and no bite so far.   With adult people, she is super-friendly, but I have never seen her around kid people.   We tend to shelter her with her problem with other doggies.   However, she has always impressed us when she is introduced to a new situation because she always is better behaved than I think she will be.   For instance, we took her on vacation with us last summer, and she did GREAT!  I am optimistic that she will adapt to the new addition in no time. 

Thanks again!

~ Tara
I miss my ratties: Eddie, Buster, Samson, Stuart, and Yogi!