Author Topic: Re-vamping homemade cage -- need a theme!  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
Re-vamping homemade cage -- need a theme!
« on: May 11, 2006, 12:02:23 AM »
For a little while now I've been pondering things I could do to my homemade cage that I made back in 2004.  First, and foremost, I want to put in new tiles.  What I'd really like, is if I could put in ceramic tiles, but considering the cage is already three hundred million pounds (approximately), I think it's best just to go with plain ol' self-adhesive vinyl tile squares.  I'll more than likely be getting a light sandy-looking marble tile, but we'll see what Home Depot has in stock.  I don't want anything with TOO much color, since it'd clash with the theme of the cage (seeing as self-adhesive tiles only seem to come in light creams, dark blues, or white, and unfortunately no bright colors!).

Now, once taking off all the tiles on the side/ceiling of the cage, I'm not going to re-apply any.  Rarely does anything get on the sides of the cage, let alone the ceiling, so I feel it'd be a waste of money to get another whole box of tiles for those parts, especially since their favorite thing to do is fall down/off. 

But, what I AM doing on the sides, ceiling, and back of the cage, is painting it.  I got the grand idea tonight, and all I need is a theme.  I'm currently thinking of painting it all one color (think pastels), and then using a bolder/brighter color for drawing circles all over.  Or, I was thinking of doing a bee theme and drawing little bees all over.  Or, a filigree theme to make it look all snazzy and enchanting.

Just for reference, here's a picture of the cage taken today:

Any theme ideas?  I'm totally open to suggestions.  :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:05:00 AM by SuccubusOfAngels »
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
Re: Re-vamping homemade cage -- need a theme!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 01:00:42 AM »
I like faeries or bees... :)
:heart: Loved by: Sean, Mittens, Honey, Little Bear, Pewpew, Thomas, Midget, Benjamin, Little Heart, Petal, Piranha, and Cricket.
Mommy misses: Dumbo, Piper, Emily, Merlyn, Theo, sweet Finn, Georgiana, Winston, Lily, Owen, Nicholas, Albus, Dumbledore, sweet Daphne, Fiona, Roger, Esther, and Caius.

Offline MissRico

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 06:29:17 AM »
Sounds like a fun project, I love painting, I'd probably spend days painting stuff on my ratties walls if I had a cage like that!  I like the bee idea, it sounds cute.  For some reason I keep thinking of winnie the pooh (because of the bees.)  Hmmmm, I'm sure what ever design you decide to paint it will come out fantastic...be sure to post pics!

Offline RatFinkster

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 02:45:06 PM »
I would do it pink pastel with faeries on it. But I am a girly girl, hehe.

Nice cage!! They have hammocks galore.

Offline Maddeebear

• Adopt a rescue rat today!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 04:43:55 PM »
I notice your cage every time I look at the Cage Decorations page. I absolutely love it. It looks so clean and the colors pop.

I love the idea of bright colors, and polka dots are my favorite pattern. Maybe a soft blue base with multi-colored polka dots of various sizes would be nice. It seems like bright colors would fit in with your toys and accessories. And I don't mean overwhelmingly blinding neon colors, but a cool-tone base with polka dots that pop. Are these vinyl tiles going on the floor of the cage? Will you still be covering the floor with towels? It looks like you have a lot of towels. ;)

Good luck on whatever you do. I don't think you can go wrong.
Maddy

Proud mom to Roscoe the rat and Maxie the dachshund

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 04:48:39 PM »
I love the idea of bright colors, and polka dots are my favorite pattern. Maybe a soft blue base with multi-colored polka dots of various sizes would be nice. It seems like bright colors would fit in with your toys and accessories. And I don't mean overwhelmingly blinding neon colors, but a cool-tone base with polka dots that pop. Are these vinyl tiles going on the floor of the cage? Will you still be covering the floor with towels? It looks like you have a lot of towels. ;)

I think the polka-dot idea is what I'll go with, seeing as I don't think I have any real skill at drawing  ::)

And yes, just like now I'll have the vinyl tiles, and then towels on top.  I just want a different type of tile.  I'm tired of the ones I have now.  So boring! 

Can you tell I love buying them new towels and making them 4327598327589 hammocks?  ;)
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline fuzzybee

• Posts Too Much!
    • Bella Sabbagh Illustration
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 04:56:18 PM »
BEES  beees beeeees I vote beeeeees!
Lola agrees.  She's currently on my desk chewing at my bee mobile.  Bees are my thing.  (did you guess? lol)
My precious little friends: Oliver and Joe.      RIP: Mindy, Maggie, Inky, Lupin, Elgin, Badger, Foxy, Matilda, Henry, Lola, Fleur, Betty, Goody, Sammy, O'Malley and Eloise.
www.bellasabbagh.wordpress.com

Offline Maddeebear

• Adopt a rescue rat today!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 05:01:51 PM »
I think the polka-dot idea is what I'll go with, seeing as I don't think I have any real skill at drawing  ::)

And yes, just like now I'll have the vinyl tiles, and then towels on top.  I just want a different type of tile.  I'm tired of the ones I have now.  So boring! 

Can you tell I love buying them new towels and making them 4327598327589 hammocks?  ;)

Well, whatever works! I wish so badly I could have a cage like that, but each towel would last .5 seconds and within a couple hours there would be poop everywhere considering my girls absolutely refuse to use a litterbox. :doh: Maybe someday they'll learn and I can actually have a neat cage for a couple days.
Maddy

Proud mom to Roscoe the rat and Maxie the dachshund

Offline RNPaulie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 06:27:03 PM »
What about little ratty paw prints all over it?? LOL I agree with keeping the tiles neutral as not to clash with the decor :) I have color coordinated cages- all the liners, hammocks,tubes are the same print- all easy to match with the black of the Martin's. Good luck with whatever you decide, should be fun!!!

Proud Mom to 
Corbin,Zac,Lucas,Noah and Liam
miss you Melka and Brady..

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 06:45:55 AM »
is that a cloth igloo????  dude......... I"m so making that next.. lol

Dunny, I'm going to be making a bookshelf-type cage when my current lot is gone.  I hope to make it just a nice piece of furniture, though.. heh..

Offline luvmyrats

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • 4 legged kids are better then 2 legged kids!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 05:01:58 PM »
Go with a jungle theme!!