Author Topic: Homemade Nursery - Cheap cage idea for anyone else  (Read 1188 times)

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Homemade Nursery - Cheap cage idea for anyone else
« on: May 13, 2006, 09:25:28 PM »
I am getting a female rat that had a litter (taking her from a bad home) and I had to get a cheap cage set up.

At Wal-Mart they had the PennPlax Play Pens for Hammies/Gerbils/Pigs for 10.00 each. 8 Panels on it and they are 8 x 13 each. I bought 2 and did this.

What is looks like on Pennplax website

Here's what I did to it. I did have to use 4 cookie cooling racks (had 1/2 inch spacing) for the top.
I was going to buy an under the bed storage bin but realized I could use the pan from the Martin's that is on my combo cage. The front blue panel that looks funny in the first pic is the door (it was open slightly thats why it looks funny) I am holding it shut with a Martin's spring hook from the flip top lid.

I put in a shelf with liner, a weird plastic shelf that I got from a yardsale and a hammock  ;D

Offline twistedlittle-puppy

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Homemade Nursery - Cheap cage idea for anyone else
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 12:07:42 AM »
VERY cool idea! I've seen the same playpen at petsmart for almost $15. how big is the final product and around how many rats could it hold? seems like it would make a great temp cage for a newbie/patient

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 04:01:36 AM »
VERY cool idea! I've seen the same playpen at petsmart for almost $15. how big is the final product and around how many rats could it hold? seems like it would make a great temp cage for a newbie/patient

in inches - 31L x 18H x 18W

Cage calculator says 2.9 rats. I'd say 2 males or 3 females could be in this.  ;D

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 09:12:57 AM »
Wow, that's really awesome! Nice handywork  :thumbsup2:

Offline bigeyes_and_underfed

• Posts Too Much!
  • ico
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 09:22:27 AM »
1st off im glad u could rescue a whole litter  :BlueDumboSmile: very kind

and with that set up im sure she will be more than happy  :heart:
*~Boogie down RATTY STYLE~*