Author Topic: Catnip  (Read 4710 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Catnip
« on: May 20, 2006, 10:01:01 PM »
Does catnip do anything to dogs?  Willow has taken one of the cats' mice and loves it!

Offline GinKaruja

• Cuz nothing beats Hellhound commentary!
    • My stuff :P
Re: Catnip
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 01:56:05 AM »
I've heard that once in a while a dog will come along that's effected by it, but like in cats, it's not harmful.  >.>,,
To you, for you, and in your own way.
To each their own.
Karjalankarhukoira, The Rare Breed Sage
http://karja.deviantart.com

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 08:55:01 AM »
Thanks, I wasn't even thinking there was a chance of that - but she's ALWAYS trying to take their catnip toys.  We let her have one mouse - but last night playing with it she would growl at me, refuse to give me kisses (instead bite my chin) and just didn't seem like her personality at all - she's a sweet little girl!  I thought maybe it was reaction from having to go to the vet yesterday, but thought I'd check about the Catnip.

Offline GinKaruja

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 05:04:07 AM »
Does the toy have fur?  Maybe she just wants a smaller toy, or fur?  >.>,,  If not either of those, then you might want to see if she's one of the 'catnip dogs' just to figure things out.  I know our shepherd/chow used to try to eat all the cat toys, catnip or not.  If they were small enough, they were game, but she loved the furry ones.
What I did find out, is out of all things, the least likely thing to be torn up by our dogs were mink tails.  I don't know why those didn't get shredded like the rabbit skins did.  x.x
To each their own.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 08:27:42 AM »
It's not an issue of tearing up the toy, it's an issue of getting violent toward us.  No more Catnip for her.

Offline GinKaruja

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:41:13 PM »
To each their own.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 09:50:28 PM »
NILIF time then. >.>,, http://www.goof.com/~pmurphy/NILIF.html

site can not be found -- what is that?

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 10:11:04 PM »
It stands for "Nothing In Life Is Free" and if I remember correctly it's a highly effective way to show your pup who's the boss (you).  She shouldn't growl or become protective over her toys or anything, and this is just a way to prevent that from happening and to remain in control.
http://www.k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Something I need to read up about and do with my pup... :-[

edit: Crap, I just read that website- Carl is one for "Attention on Demand" he craves attention and just barks and barks and barks if you ignore him.  When he's doing that I just ignore, because what he wants is attention- positive or negative.  Well my mom and sister will say "CARL NO BARK!" no matter how many times I tell them to ignore him.  They're teaching him that barking will get attention.  Grr...(although I admit it's hard to ignore the BARKBARKBARKBARK for 5 minutes...)
Sounds like I have my work cut out for me!  ::)
Here's a quote from the website: "Telling him "no" or pushing him away is not the kind of attention he's after, but it's still attention. Completely ignoring him will work faster and better. "  Gotta show that one to my mom...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 10:15:33 PM by star2 »
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 10:16:16 PM »

edit: Crap, I just read that website- Carl is one for "Attention on Demand" he craves attention and just barks and barks and barks if you ignore him.  When he's doing that I just ignore, because what he wants is attention- positive or negative.  Well my mom and sister will say "CARL NO BARK!" no matter how many times I tell them to ignore him.  They're teaching him that barking will get attention.  Grr...(although I admit it's hard to ignore the BARKBARKBARKBARK for 5 minutes...)
Sounds like I have my work cut out for me!  ::)
Here's a quote from the website: "Telling him "no" or pushing him away is not the kind of attention he's after, but it's still attention. Completely ignoring him will work faster and better. "  Gotta show that one to my mom...

Work on the bark command then - once you get him to do it when asked you can work on quiet too.

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 08:16:53 PM »
Ooo good advice, thanks Kat!!
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 10:49:39 AM »
Does your puppy have other stuffed toys she likes?  Does she react the same way with them?

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 11:12:09 AM »
Does your puppy have other stuffed toys she likes?  Does she react the same way with them?

nope, she has others and just reacts to the catnip that way.

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 11:19:48 AM »

Work on the bark command then - once you get him to do it when asked you can work on quiet too.

I'm not sure I agree with this thought.

My husbands dog was taught to bark on command.  And now when he wants something and he is going thru all his stuff to be a good dog to get it (even if it's not for him) barking at me in all the levels (quiet bark, loud bark, etc) is included.  I prefer they not bark at me at all, save the barking for the intruder they want to eat.
(In case you do not understand what I'm trying to describe, Say I'm making dinner and he thinks he deserves the hamburger I'm making into patties for the grill, he will sit there cute and when that doesn't work (because it won't work, nothing will work, but he has to try) he downs and then sits again, and then downs again, and if there is room he will even run around me and finish (heel position) and when that doesn't work he starts in on the tricks his previous owner taught him, pawing, barking, etc.)