Author Topic: Making new door in Martin's cage  (Read 1493 times)

Offline JohannSebastianRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • In memory of Nodin, March 4 2005 - April 13 2007
    • My home page (you can send me e-mail via a link there)
Making new door in Martin's cage
« on: May 22, 2006, 03:52:51 PM »
My cage is situated next to a shelf and I want to make a new door in the side of it to lead directly onto the shelf. It's a martins cage. I know I can use tin snips and cut the cage, but obviously it will leave sharp points behind (bad!!!). Also I'm not sure how I would make a new door and attach it. Any ideas?

Mike

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Making new door in Martin's cage
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 03:57:57 PM »
I had one idea. You know how in Martin's cages they have some plastic doo-hickey's covering the 4 edges of the door? A do-it-yourself possibility would be poster hangers. Or maybe I can get some of those from Martin's.

Mike

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:00:26 PM »
Okay I just discovered that martin's actually sells parts and says you can "modify" your cage. Sounds promising. Has anyone ever made a new door this way?

Mike

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 04:19:38 PM »
I would love to know how this turns out.  I would like to make a top door in my Superpet and this could give me ideas.  :D

I know that Martins is amazing with all their bits and accessories they sell.  Just checked...they sell door liner cheap!!!

http://www.martinscages.com/products/supplies/

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 04:22:50 PM »
I use diagonal pliers for cutting on my cages. If you use the side that is not cupped, you can cut the wire close and there is barely any edge. I love my pliers.  :heart:

This is the side that I put against the wire to get a close cut.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 04:26:31 PM »
Psss Mike ... the modify button is at the top of each of your posts.  That way you can add these things to the post, instead of creating more posts ...

As for making a new door, I'd call and ask Martins how much a new door, with latch, would cost.  And you can use a dremel to take the sharp points of the cut edges.  You can also ask Martin's for the black covers that go around the door edges, or just buy a couple of "report covers" and use the backs off those.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 04:38:24 PM »
Psss Mike ... the modify button is at the top of each of your posts.  That way you can add these things to the post, instead of creating more posts ...

But I'm working on boosting my post count so I get to be a more advanced member... just kidding, I'll check the modify button.

As for making a new door, I'd call and ask Martins how much a new door, with latch, would cost.  And you can use a dremel to take the sharp points of the cut edges.  You can also ask Martin's for the black covers that go around the door edges, or just buy a couple of "report covers" and use the backs off those.

Martin's does sell them, but the dremel idea is good too. I actually own a dremel already! Yay!  :rattysmiley:

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 04:47:21 PM »
Even with the Dremmel I'd use the door liner, it's only $1.00 for 5 ft. It can really save you and your rats from scratches.

I agree with Dearpie, the best bet is to get Martins to make you a door. When cutting the hole remember to make it smaller than the actual door so there is an overlap. ;)
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 12:19:30 AM »
Also Martin's will most likely sell you the actual DOOR part (can't forget that, lol!) and latches, not to mention the plastic edgers.  They are very good about customizing and helping you get things just right for your ratties. :thumbsup2:
~Julie

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
  • There are rats in my house.
    • The Rat Shack
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 10:58:04 AM »
My mom did that in her Martin's cage. She cut it out use tile nippers and wire cutters. Then they sand down the rough/sharp edges. Martin's can and will send any size door you request.
Joanne
The Rat Shack

Until there's none... rescue one.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 06:00:14 PM »
Martin's is selling me the new door. This is really cool... comes with all parts and it's easy to cut out the hole. It costs $10. I love the way Martin's cages work... the doors are so nice, have a nice feel to them, and yet mechanically they are so simple that anyone can put in a new door.

Mike