Author Topic: Martins Cages Rattling Noises.  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Cheezit

Martins Cages Rattling Noises.
« on: May 15, 2006, 05:21:02 PM »
I just got my Martin's R-670 and I 'm loving it. After I put it together and set-everythng up, and my rats went crazy in it. I noticed whenever my rats climb the cage bars or on the ramps, the cage makes a rattling noise from the C-rings. Is this normal/usually happen?
Martin's Cage Owner.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Martins Cages Rattling Noises.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 05:29:23 PM »
Uh-oh, c-rings! :shocked2: Most of us have learned from others who have experienced the pain of removing c-rings to put our Martin's together with plastic cable ties from the hardware store. In addition to not being pure evil, the cable ties secure the cage parts together much tighter to eliminate shifting and rattling. I'm afraid I don't have any solution other than to replace the c-rings with cable ties, but that would SUCK :( Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 05:52:37 PM »
Eee... yeah... zip ties!! I think 90% of us used or have switched to zip ties.

You can tighten them up super tight so nothing would rattle then.  Perhaps instead of attempting to remove all of the c-rings, you can just try to replace the ones that are rattling with zip ties in those spots. :)
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline Cheezit

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 05:57:58 PM »
The noise doesnt bother me. Im just asking if the rattling is ok. I'd much rather use C-rings instead of cable ties any day. I dont plan on taking the cage apart ever, its staying in my room, and if it has to move, its not that big that I have to take it apart. I love c-rings.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 05:59:54 PM by Cheezit »
Martin's Cage Owner.

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 06:01:23 PM »
That's cool.

You'll probably want to take it apart after a year or two though I'd imagine to do a really thorough cleaning. :)  There are some spots in Martins that are so hard to give a good scrubbing to while the cage is together.  Well with my 695 anyway.
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 06:14:56 PM »
Uh-oh, c-rings! :shocked2: Most of us have learned from others who have experienced the pain of removing c-rings to put our Martin's together with plastic cable ties from the hardware store. In addition to not being pure evil, the cable ties secure the cage parts together much tighter to eliminate shifting and rattling.

Actually, I prefer c-rings. I've had determined rats pretty much dismantle a cage that was put together with zip ties and I'm not the only one.

Cheezit, I would have a go at trying to tighten the c-rings. That should hold it a little better and cut down on the noise. As long as there isn't a gap that a rat could get out of, you'll be fine.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 06:45:48 PM »
Word of warning about c-rings.  They are galvanized unlike your powdercoated cage.  They get pretty gross after awhile.  When/if you need to remove them, I will link you to an awesome post that gives great ideas on how.  I even ordered a special c-ring remover online.  It works great  :thumbsup2:

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 09:47:47 AM »
I agree with mean... try tightening up the c-rings a bit. :)

I also agree with mean that I personally prefer the c-rings to the zip ties. ;D

Offline Cheezit

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 02:43:32 PM »
I think I am going to add zip-ties in between the c-rings for support, is that ok? And how tight do I tighten the zip-ties? Also, are cable ties and zip-ties the same thing?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 02:46:30 PM by Cheezit »
Martin's Cage Owner.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 02:45:52 PM »
Sounds like a good plan--I really like having the different pieces flush and tight with zip ties. You can tighten them all the way--they are easily cut off with a wire cutter when need be :)

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
  • There are rats in my house.
    • The Rat Shack
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 08:40:09 AM »
I too prefer the c-rings. I do a thorough once a week cleaning using a brush and never had a problem with the odor.
One thing you can do is attach the ladder to the back wall with the c-rings or cable ties to minimize the rattling.
Joanne
The Rat Shack

Until there's none... rescue one.

Offline Plague

• Ritten
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 10:48:58 AM »
I love my c rings... but I am so tempted to... (insert histerical laughter from rat trying to get out sleeve tickling my arm)... switch over to twist ties. I forget who's cage it was, but in the cage thread someone had nifty neon twist ties used in multiple colors, and I must say, it was rather awesome.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 09:19:01 AM »
ill also agree - i much prefer c-rings (and i know tracy does too) - zip ties area pain in the arse, IMO, and i like crings so much better!!!
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC