Author Topic: Afraid of the clicker  (Read 1837 times)

Offline KawaiiKagura

• Posts Too Much!
  • Seriously?
Afraid of the clicker
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:50:58 AM »
I have a 7 month old Sheltie mix who caught on to the clicker VERY fast and she's been learning new things ever since with it. My parents recently had to sell their home to move and take care of my grandparents and they gave us one of their three dogs, a 7 year old Pomeranian. She's settled in great with her new friend and new house however she is deathly afraid of the clicker. I wanted to start her on little stuff in the hopes that I could use it to lead into potty training (they had her paper trained and I sooooo want her to go outside). Is there any way to overcome the fear of the clicker? She will run away from it before she even realizes there is a treat involved in the process. Usually loud noises don't bother her, maybe it's TOO loud? I started introducing it to her by having her in the room while I worked with the other dog with it and it didn't seem to phase her, however when it was her turn to work with it she wanted nothing to do with it. Anyone else have this problem and get around it?

Offline knuckles

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Lightening
Re: Afraid of the clicker
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 08:55:23 AM »
I've heard of clickers being too loud for some dogs.  I know they make "adjustable" ones where you can adjust the loudness.  maybe you need to go really slow with her though.  keep up the working the other dog while she is in the room.......ohhhhhhhh thought.  is there somebody else that could give her a treat after you click the other dog????

Offline GinKaruja

• Cuz nothing beats Hellhound commentary!
    • My stuff :P
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 09:03:16 AM »
She might not be a clicker trainable dog, it doesn't always work you know.  No one way for all dogs, you might have to try other forms of training. 
Though trying to get her used to the clicker, let her smell it, try to get her to play with it a bit.  They do have a clicker in a toy, but it might be too big/heavy for a Pom, I don't know seeing as I don't use clickers.  >.>
Might try crate training or keeping her on a leash all the time so you can watch her or so she doesn't have a chance.  If nothing else, if you can find one of the dog litter boxes, it might not be so hard to get her used to that instead if you don't mind going that route.
To you, for you, and in your own way.
To each their own.
Karjalankarhukoira, The Rare Breed Sage
http://karja.deviantart.com

Offline KawaiiKagura

• Posts Too Much!
  • Seriously?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 05:59:19 PM »
I could have my husband give her a treat when I click the other dog. We'll see how that goes for a while and if there is any improvement. I'll have to look into the adjustable clicker, I had no idea such a thing existed. I'll also have to go investigate PetSmart for a clicker toy small enough for her.

As for the potty training we're working with crate training at the moment and its going slowly but surely. I was hoping the clicker could go for some basic obedience as well though. I'm just kinda confused as to how she can love her squeaky ball thats much louder and more obnoxious but be afraid of the clicker. Poms are weird.

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 07:20:51 AM »
You can do potty training and basic obedience without a clicker.  Praise her with your voice.  You can mark a correct response easily with your voice and no reason for the clicker.