Author Topic: Eating from the litterbox?  (Read 3208 times)

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Eating from the litterbox?
« on: June 03, 2006, 03:27:41 PM »
My dog has been eating from the litterbox a LOT lately... At my old apartment, I kept the litterboxes in the basement, so she almost never went down there to eat from them. The place I moved into on March 26th, has no basement. I keep 2 boxes in the pet room, and 2 in the utility room. And Tessa is eating from them ALL the time. I catch her now and then, and yell at her, but mostly I know because everyday when I scoop theres barely any poop! Shes eating it all! And Ive noticed lately shes been eating less of her dog food, probably because eating so much cat poop!! Ive seen packets of powder at the pet store that you sprinkle over the food to prevent coprophagia, but they have different types for cats and dogs. Id assume, Id buy the cat kind since its the cats that have to eat it. (the powders make the poop unappetizing. Um, like poop isnt already unappetizing? lol) But I'm skeptical because your supposed to only need to use them for a week, but I'm worried Tessa would just start eating it again as soon as I stopped feeding the powders. I may be running to petsmart tonight to pick up strawberry nylabones, so I'll pick up some of that stuff to try for now. I'm also about to do a more thorough google search for ideas, but I'm hoping to maybe find someone who's dealt with this before and find out what worked!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Eating from the litterbox?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 04:14:33 PM »
My vet used to recommend meat tenderizer.  The powder kind you find at the grocery store.  It apparently does the same thing as the powder created specifically for that purpose.

Other than that, though, and making the litter boxes inaccessible, I'm not certain there's much you can do to prevent them from eating "kitty krunchies".

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 04:22:49 PM »
Yea... I think I'm gonna try that... But I'm worried it will be only a short term solution, and she would start eating again as soon as I stopped using it. Not to mention getting my cats to eat it!! I'm working now to try to figure out where to move 2 of my boxes, so that I can block them... And looking for some inexpensive but conveinent baby gates (the cheap ones arent sturdy enough, and I want ones that will be fast and easy for ME to get through. I found some ones for 35 at petsmart that swing open one handed for the human to step through).

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 12:50:51 PM »
Can you get those covered litter boxes?   :-\
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 01:26:50 PM »
Can you get those covered litter boxes?   :-\

Have you ever seen a dog running around with one of those on his head?  ;)  And some cats won't use the litterbox if it's covered.  I have one of each, and one of my cats absolutely refuses to go in the covered one...

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 03:02:39 PM »
All of my litterboxes ARE covered. She sticks her head in there and eats anyway... Ive always used the covered ones, because they help keep litter from being tossed out the sides, or pee going over the side. But I always pull out thats silly filters (all they do is stop airflow, trapping odors inside which can make the cat avoid the box) and rip off those stupid doors if the box comes with one. I actualy put out a new litterbox with one of those doors still on before, not thinking about how that would stop the airflow even worse. I was fostering two 7 week old kittens at the time, and one crawled into the box to do her business, only to not figure out how to get out!!! The poor thing was meowing and yowling at the box for I dont know how long before I found her... Then I ripped the door off.

I never went to petsmart last night, as I had an emergency at the barn, one of my horses ripped her nostril open. 2 1/2 inches long, all the way through. I was going to pick up some nice pet gates, but now I don't know because I had a 240 dollar vet bill. So multiple things I was looking forward to doing, have to be put on the back burner because my silly horse :(

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 03:35:32 PM »
I don't know how well it would or wouldn't work, but have you considered using the rubbermaid style litter boxes? I've seen them at petsmart for like $30, but I think you could do that easily by just cutting a big hole in the top of a 20 or 30 gallon rubbermaid. I would think Tessa may have a harder time getting into one of those, but I don't know how stubborn Tessa is.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 03:56:43 PM »
Hmm... thats a good idea, but I have 4 litterboxes and that would be more expensive than the pet gates... But, less of a hassle, since if I use pet gates I'll have to move Tessa's food and water (its in the same room as 2 litterboxes) plus Id be going in and out of the gate all the time to let Tessa to the backyard to potty. I'll keep that in mind. I AM going to petsmart today, I need to pick up some wormer on my way to the barn. I'll take a look, and keep mulling over what I want to do. Someone suggested turning the litterboxes against the wall, with only enough room for the cats to access them. I may try that with 2 of them (the other 2 are positioned in a corner around the water heater and wouldnt be possible), but I'm worried the cats wouldnt figure it out lol. Same with the rubbermaid things, it would probably take some getting used to for my cats to figure it out. In the meantime, Ive been closing the door to the pet room where 2 of the boxes are when Tessa is loose. That way, she would have to go all the way around the house to the utility room to eat from the cat box.. Unfortunately though, like I said its in the same room as her food and water. That may be part of the problem in and of itself... Heres a snack, theres a snack! Oh the convienence  :confused:

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 09:47:54 PM »
i combine making the litterboxes accessible only to the cats (they used to be under a desk behind the desk chair, the others in a bathroom that i just kept the door at a certain angle and the dogs couldnt get in) - or by turning them or putting them around furniture dogs cant get near.

i also use baby gates (or more specifically, i am using parts of expens) - the cats are perfectly able to jump them to get to the bins if they want, but the doggies cant. ok, rah could if he wants to and has to get to other things, but litterboxes arent that rewarding.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 09:53:42 PM »
I looked at the top opening litterboxes, and I think Tessa would still be able to reach her head in easily. But, while there I saw a litterbox called the booda clean step. The cat enters, walks up some tiny steps, and around the corner into the litter. It would be VERY hard I think for Tessa to get into it... Heres a pic, What do you guys think? Maybe I'll save up my money, check ebay, that sorta thing and switch my litterboxes over to those.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 06:36:29 PM »
my mom has one and she likes it. but i have a 15 lb (and that is him SLIM) cat who is huge and he would never fit in there. its a pretty small litter pan, IMO. but if you have small cats it may work.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 06:48:14 PM »
Hmm... I have an 11 lb cat and a 8 1/2 lb cat. But I'm adopting a siamese/balinese type mix (I think I am.. I'm waiting on approval... and hoping she sticks around through approval...) and I'm thinking with those breeds she would be bigger? Maybe I'll just go with the pet gates and reorganizing. I'm just thinking Tessa may jump the pet gates. She wont jump them if i'm in eye sight, and Ive left her in a room gated in before and she was still in the room when I came back, but for all I know she jumped the gate but jumped back in before I got home lol. But I crate her when I leave, so it shouldnt really be a problem...

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 02:46:25 PM »
I know people who have had success with those Booda litterbox things.

Actually I know someone who uses that with their chihuahua  :yelcutelaugh:
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline GinKaruja

• Cuz nothing beats Hellhound commentary!
    • My stuff :P
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 11:12:54 AM »
Pfffffttttttt, my dogs just knocked the top off those boodas and scared the cats.  @.@  It's pretty hard to deter some dogs off the litterbox, mine it's impossible.  So my mom basically stays where she can watch the litter box and the dogs most of the time.

On another note, my mom's new pibble mix pup sometimes uses the litter box, she has talked to someone who's chow used the litter box(before those dog ones came out), and someone my mom knew had taken a picture of her cat using the toilet and blew it up. x.x',,
To you, for you, and in your own way.
To each their own.
Karjalankarhukoira, The Rare Breed Sage
http://karja.deviantart.com

Offline flannel

• Posts Too Much!
  • When I grow up I wanna be a dumbo!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 01:18:46 AM »
I have a dog that likes to snack occasionally.  ew.  I fixed her up by being rather vigilant for a couple of weeks and spraying the bitter apple spray on the turdlets in the litter box.  Now she just assumes that every turdlet is vile.  Maybe that would work?  Also, what if you just turned your litter box around so the opening is facing the wall and pull it out just a little bit, enough for the cats to get in but close enough to keep the dog out?

I'm still laughing picturing my dogs running around with a covered litterbox on their heads.  Oh, that would be justice indeed for turdlet snacking!
"Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform."
- The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 01:27:44 AM »
I already mentioned about turning the box around, I'm not able to do that because of the placement of the boxes (odd corner type area). But I'm using the pet gates now to keep Tessa away. I've got the cats eating in the utility room still with 2 of the boxes, and an easy swing pet gate blocking Tessa from entering the room. She is now eating in the kitchen instead. And I'm going to set up another pet gate keeping Tessa out of the pet room (besides for when shes in her crate) which is where the other boxes are. But right now I have a box in my bedroom, because Ive got a/c in my bedroom and keep the door closed, so I dont want my cats trapped in here with no box.