Author Topic: The boys new cage that I built (pic)  (Read 1452 times)

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
The boys new cage that I built (pic)
« on: June 14, 2006, 03:04:26 PM »
I haven't been able to find coated wire with small spacing at any store near me. I found some marked down for 6.99 for a roll. It has 1/2" by 1/2" spacing. I ordered 4 rolls and ta-da! 1 cage for my manly men. (I made an aquarium topper for Grady out of the same material while he's in QT)

Note the 12 week old kitten and the 32 oz water bottle for size reference. I made it like an aquarium topper on the rubbermaid tote. It pops right off  ;D. Each shelf is fully across the cage and there are 3 shelves. I made 2 doors and want a 3rd for the top shelf. I ran out of zip-ties  :doh:

Andre, Elliott and Carl are in it now, exploring and running around. I think I am going to separate them from the girls now. Grady will be joining them soon and hopefully Harris and Cooper will join too. With fingers crossed, Otter will get here too.

47" tall x 30" wide x 19" depth (7.75 rats! hot-diggity!) Roughly $60.00 to make this cage.

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: The boys new cage that I built (pic)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 03:26:27 PM »
That is AWESOME! I built a replica of a ruud cage from that vintyl coated hardware cloth and it lasted probably about 1.5 years and then the vinyl was all coming off. Have fun in that cage man rats! :hyper:

Offline kreestole

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:56:34 PM »
Great job, you've actually give me an idea for building my next bigger cage. I just built one a couple months ago, but now I'm getting 2 more boys and plan to eventually house them together. But of course I'll need a bigger cage. And this seems to work because all the rubbermaid bins I like sizewise didn't work with the amount of mesh I was working with.

It looks fantastic.

***Edited to ask***
What size rolls did you use and where did you order them from? I built mine with 4x5 rolls I think. I really wish I could have found 10 ft rolls, then I wouldn't even have a dilemma, I'd have a 3 or 4 ft tall cage that would fit 4 rats easily. Maybe I should just add to mine, cut a hole in the top and add a second half. You've given me inspiration. Oh yeah, a good thing to cover the floors with is needlepoint mesh (Walmart, 97 cents).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 05:03:43 PM by kreestole »
3 kids: Alice, Drake, and Dylan
1 cat: Lucy
3 Rats: Fiona, Poppy, and Violet

Offline Dork123

• Posts Too Much!
  • "My name is Juliette and I'm a rat-aholic..."
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 05:16:32 PM »
Wow!  Well I'm impressed!!  Looks nice and roomy....  Plus, I bet it'll be easy to clean (always a good thing!).  :)

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 05:40:44 PM »
I used 3' high x 5' long. It took all 3 rolls to do this cage. 3 rolls plus shipping was 35.00.
I used 2' x 5' to make a tank topper for my QT boy. I had about 3 feet of 2' wire left and I used it on one shelf for the big cage.

Ace Hardware Outlet LINKY

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • owned by three rodentists
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 12:54:33 AM »
Wow! I am also very very impressed. Good job!  :thumbsup2:

<br/>www.wonderrodent.com<br/>
"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 03:20:35 AM »
Cool cage, that's what we make our cages with  :) Our home depot sells that hardware cloth, but sometimes it's hard to find.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 12:45:16 PM »
That's awesome! Nice job :thumbsup2: Bet your boys love it!

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 07:00:44 PM »
That's awesome! Nice job :thumbsup2: Bet your boys love it!

Ya would think that three 4 week old baby boys would go CRAZY running around this giant cage (giant to them lol)
No! The are becoming MALE rats. They've been sleeping in their new igloo for the last 2 days. The only sign that they are alive is the raisins and the food scattered around lol

I did get the stink-eye when I lifted the igloo to check on them! hmph!!

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 07:02:36 PM »
Hahaha! Ingrates ::)