Author Topic: Cross-Country Cage for 5 Boyz?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline 1lila1

• Posts Too Much!
  • PEW's are love!
Cross-Country Cage for 5 Boyz?
« on: June 21, 2006, 11:06:34 AM »
In December I'm moving back to So. CA from KY.  We're driving with a large dog and the 5 rattie boyz.  I'm looking into a travel cage that would be big enough for all 5 but it needs to be as small as possible since space will be limited.  I also want it to be big enough for a permanent home for at least 2 rats if I'm going to spend the money on a cage anyway.  I was thinking about the R-670 since it's a decent height but it's slim and not too long.  It's big enough for 2.33 rats which would be aprox. half of the number I have now.  That would give them about 1/2 of the 200 cubic ft per rat minimum that is recommended for permanent living quarters.  Do you think this would be OK.  Should I maybe split the 5 boys up into two smaller cages?  Would the travelling stress make them fight?

I know the trip is a bit far off but I just wanted to get anyone's opinion on whether the R-670 is a good choice or if I should be looking into something else.  Any suggestions about other cages or travelling tips would be much appreciated.    :BlueDumboSmile:  (<-- I just love that graphic!!)
Mama to 5 rattie boyz, 1 kittie boy, and 1 doggie girl.

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
Re: Cross-Country Cage for 5 Boyz?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 12:05:37 PM »
I suggest the Martin's CC-3018. It is Large Ferret Carrier that is collapsible when you don't need it. Scroll down to the bottom of this page:

http://martinscages.com/products/cages/ferret/

It is 30 x 18 x 18 inches with a nice little balcony. Plenty of room for a large hammock for their trip. The bar spacing is 1 x 1 inches but you CAN get it custom made with 1 x 1/2 inch wire (which is what I have).

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline lotsorats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 04:59:20 PM »
I just ordered this cage in the smaller wire space as a permanent home for my four girls. The love it. Its has enough room for a hammack, two igolls and a large wheel. Its easy to clean and is easy for me to carry. I choose it since we have a camper and sometimes go on trips and thought this would be great to travel with as well. The rats will mostly sleep during the trip but you might let them play in the bathtub if you stay at a motel.

Offline 1lila1

• Posts Too Much!
  • PEW's are love!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 11:32:26 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  I've decided to go with your suggestions and get that cage.  It's got plenty of floor space plus the dimensions are the same as my R-695 so I can use it as an extension to their permanent cage if I want to.  I've emailed Martin's about getting the rat sized wire in powder coating but haven't heard back from them yet.

I'm just a little nervous about fights and scuffles breaking out with five boys in such a small cage.  But hopefully in 6 months the teenagers will have calmed down a bit and there will be peace!  Peace is a good thing..for rats and people!   8)
Mama to 5 rattie boyz, 1 kittie boy, and 1 doggie girl.

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 06:54:39 PM »
They won't be able to do it in powder coating, but they will be able to make it in PVC coated wire. The only powder coated cages they can provide are the designs they already have.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline rattymcnatty

• Ritten
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 08:15:30 PM »
The Large Collapsible Ferret Carrier (CC-3018) does come in powder coated rat-sized wire for $10.00 extra. I have one myself. :thumbsup2:

Thank you for writing and inquiring about a custom CC-3018.

We could make the CC-3018 in powder coated wire.  It would need to be made in 1/2" x 1" powder coated mesh.  We don't have 1" x 1" powder coated wire.

The cost of a CC-3018 in 1/2" x 1" powder coated wire would be $73.00 plus shipping.

You can order this custom cage through our shopping cart if you'd like.  Simply add the CC-3018 PVC to your shopping cart.  In the special instructions box type in " MODIFY IN 1/2" x 1" POWDER COAT WIRE/$ 10.00 per diana".

The shopping cart will not be able to recognize this modification when giving you your total.  We'll adjust your total the additional $ 10.00 when we process your order.

Please let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

Thank you!

Diana Martin
Martin's Cages, Inc.
Manufacturer of Quality Pet Cages
http://www.martinscages.com