Author Topic: New Cage Opinion  (Read 927 times)

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
New Cage Opinion
« on: June 26, 2006, 07:22:30 PM »
I finally have a question that I can ask on here!  :)

I will be getting two new little rattie girls this weekend from the 81 rat rescue in MD.  I'm hoping to intro them to my current two older girls and if that happens it means new cage time!!  My girls are currently in a homemade cage that I built back in Feb that will hold up to 4 rats, but I want more space if I'm going to have more than just two girls.  I was going to build a new cage (I have my perfect feasible cage planned out in my head), and might still do it, but it might take me a little while.  So, I'm also looking into some ready made cages just in case I get a little lazy on the cage building.  I already know about Martin's and they are one of my main possiblities (my QT cage is a rat cabin), but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this cage:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bird-Ferret-Sugar-Glider-Chinchilla-Flight-Cage-cages_W0QQitemZ7776437065QQihZ018QQcategoryZ46289QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

or it's seller?

It would definately need some alterations (like the bottom grate becoming a level, altering the small doors, adding more levels, and litter boxes all around bc of the shallow pan), but I think the main body of the cage looks decent, good wire spacing, and nice sized main doors.

So, what does everyone think?  Anything that looks wrong that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!
~Melissa
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline Dork123

• Posts Too Much!
  • "My name is Juliette and I'm a rat-aholic..."
Re: New Cage Opinion
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 07:34:53 PM »
I think once you've made the adjustments you've already mentioned, it should work out just fine.  :)  I've never seen that cage before, but I definitely like the look of it!

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 08:06:55 PM »
Frankly, it looks heavy.  VERY heavy.  How will you clean it?  And it's expensive, but it does offer free shipping. 
What can I say, I love my Martins cages.  Lightweight and easy to put in the tub for scrubbing.  I would email and ask the weight of the cage.
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 08:47:11 PM »
31.5 x 19.5 x 52"H

Just about the same space at the 695 (30"x18"36" , ok, so it's 16" taller).  You don't need to make any adjustments with the 695, and it would most likely be easier to clean or move around.   It may not be too bad, but I'd stick with Martin's, personally.  I'm not into having to modify cages. No thanks.

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 08:58:26 PM »
The weight of it is definately one of my other concerns.  I have already sent out an e-mail asking about that and some other little details I was wondering about (like the exact door size).  Now I just have to wait and see.  Also, the weight will definately determine where I'd be able to wheel it to for it's big scrub-downs. 
As for the price, if I get a Martin's I would be getting a Ruud and this one would actually be much cheaper for the same amount of room (the rattie calc told me 9 rats each).  If it wasn't for the no shipping, though, I probably wouldn't even been considering this cage and it would be Ruud hands down!  :)
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko