Author Topic: Protecting walls from rat pee AND smaller cage concerns  (Read 9119 times)

Offline Wishing4Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • I used my wings, and mommy cried.
Protecting walls from rat pee AND smaller cage concerns
« on: June 29, 2006, 01:19:31 PM »
I know you guys have some good idea for keeping rat pee IN the cage, so I thought I'd ask what you guys use. ;) I just re-did my bedroom (in the process, actually) with a wood laminate floor (you know, snap and lock type, not real wood) and white walls (what was I thinking?!). The floor will be easy to clean, so I'm not worried about that. But the walls ( :doh: ) are a different story. I was thinking of attaching some kind of plastic to the backs of the cages? How do you guys manage to keep pee contained? Is there a way to do it that doesn't look tacky and is easily cleanable/replacable? I'd love all ideas! Thanks so much!!  :balloon:

Edit: I have a Martins R670 and a giant white cage with red base I don't know the brand of. It's made for chinchillas, I believe. All wire, 3 levels.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:21:23 PM by Wishing4Rats »
~Kalena

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Protecting walls from rat pee?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 03:30:57 PM »
I tack up a sheet behind my cages.  When it gets icky, I can take it down to wash and put up another.  Here's a pic so you can see what I mean:

The sheet comes up to just above the top of the cage and still leaves enough to cover the carpet.  Plus, you can pick up sheets at the dollar store or the Goodwill for really cheap, so they're easily replaceable.  Every once in a while my boys get a wild hair and pull a bit of the sheet inside to chew on, but that's the only problem I've had.
Ratless

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 03:34:55 PM »
2 ideas, both probably too much trouble, but will throw them out there.  Would kids paint be easier to wipe down?  Or...  put some dry erase boards up on the wall by the cage and put a type of boarder or chair rail over it.

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • owned by three rodentists
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 06:00:53 PM »
I connected boards together with hinges. I was originally using it for a playpen but now I put it agains the wall. You don't have to use hinges. You can also buy several of these boards (any home improvement store would have it), place them against the wall and overlap them a little. I put a brick or something heavy they can't move where it overlaps.

<br/>www.wonderrodent.com<br/>
"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline Celestrina

smaller cages and urine on the walls
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 02:34:20 PM »
It seemed that most of the people who responded to an earlier thread on this topic had large cages.  If we do get a couple ratties, we would get a 680.  Will this still be a concern?

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
Re: smaller cages and urine on the walls
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 02:52:41 PM »
I wish I had gone with the R-680!  It fits "3.75" rats.  So probably 3 rats comfortably.  Or 4 small girls.
But I don't have this cage so hopefully someone who does have it can help you out :)

And what about urine on the walls?  ;)
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline Celestrina

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 02:56:15 PM »

Offline Ligeia

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 02:56:33 PM »
I would think with a smaller cage, you can just move it a little further from the wall without giving up too much of your room.  Then you don't have to worry about urine getting on the walls, but you still have to protect the floor because some rats seem to think that peeing through the bars is an Olympic sport.
Rats: All of the best features of "normal" pets in a convenient, easy to carry size.

Offline Celestrina

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 03:54:54 PM »
:yelcutelaugh:  Sounds like my nephew shortly after he was potty trained.  Boy I hope my son has better aim than he did (my real son, not my future ratties).

Offline Wishing4Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 06:10:17 PM »
I have the R670, which is smaller than the cage you're getting. It's just as bad a problem. :) Basically, the shelves/levels are the problem, because any time they pee from one of the shelves (in the corner, like they normally would), it's going to go out of the cage. In my larger cage, I put tile squares in those corners and wipe them down every time there's pee on them. That prevents most of the out of the cage pee, because then it isn't falling great heights and splashing. ;) (Lovely discussion, yeah?  :yelcutelaugh: ) I'm still trying to find a solution to protecting the walls. :)
~Kalena

Offline Wishing4Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 06:13:02 PM »
Does anyone know of a hard plastic material I could put against the back of the cage, in the pan (so pee runs down it and into the pan)?? I want it to be hard plastic so it can't be pulled through the bars, but soft enough I can cut through it to zip tie it or something to the top of the cage so it stands up. I just don't know where to find such a thing? Thanks for all the great ideas, guys!!
~Kalena

Offline dragonmaster

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 07:56:48 PM »
What about something like a sterilite bin cover?  That's pretty sturdy, but bendable, so you can probably get holes in it.

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 11:07:43 PM »
Ohh sorry I missed the connection between the other thread and this one  :-[ :-[
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 12:04:07 AM »
A piece of coroplast or plexi-glass would work. I hang cheap, disposable table cloths on the walls ($1.00 at the dollar store)

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 12:15:29 PM »
Actually, this thread is pretty much like the other, and I'm going to combine them.   :)

Offline mishymoo37

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Protecting walls from rat pee AND smaller cage concerns
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 08:37:49 PM »
hmmm....well i keep seeing suggestions for some kind of cloth-like material to put against the back of the cage.  in my personal opinion, bad idea if you've got ratties who LOVE to pull fabric through their cages and chew them to shreds!  :doh:

i just read an old post of someone that went to lowe's, got plexiglass sized to her cage and connected it to her cage inside the pan to keep bedding from being kicked out...i would think you could get a large slab of plexiglass and connect it to the cage inside the pan just like she did....now that gives me a great idea to keep bedding in!
~To all my babies I had to let go...Momma will ALWAYS miss you guys; you all will forever be in my thoughts as you have left your little footprints on my heart.  I love you all so very much and miss you more than you will ever know.~

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 09:09:26 PM »
I use the plastic table cloths ($1.00 at the Dollar Store)  :thumbsup2:

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 01:21:16 AM »
I have lots of old sheets with holes in them due to "rat remodeling" over the years. I cut them into panels the same size as the back of my cage. I use safety pins to attach them like "curtains". This serves 3 purposes:

1- it keeps pee off the walls
2- it acts like a sleep shade because I like the window shades open during the day
3- it gives my rats something to chew, so it works as a toy

I've found that when I give them their own fabric on the outside, they think they are chewing MY fabric, and don't actually chew my fabric.
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Offline Wishing4Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 03:01:47 AM »
A piece of coroplast or plexi-glass would work. I hang cheap, disposable table cloths on the walls ($1.00 at the dollar store)

Where does one find coroplast? I kept thinking of that as an option, but haven't the slightest clue where to find it! Anyone know the price range of a piece of it or plexiglass, too? Thanks, all! Much appreciated!
~Kalena

Offline mishymoo37

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 03:25:58 AM »
i think a sheet of plexiglass is under $6...check out lowe's website...i just tried, but they're doing maintenance...  :-\
~To all my babies I had to let go...Momma will ALWAYS miss you guys; you all will forever be in my thoughts as you have left your little footprints on my heart.  I love you all so very much and miss you more than you will ever know.~

Offline Wishing4Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 03:49:43 AM »
i think a sheet of plexiglass is under $6...check out lowe's website...i just tried, but they're doing maintenance...  :-\

Hehe, before even reading your post I went to Lowes today and bought plexiglass. :) The only cloropast type material they had only came in 18x24, so it wouldn't fit either cage. The plexiglass was fairly priced. I think I paid $30 something for one piece of 18x24 (not big enough, but will suffice for now for the R670) and one piece of 26x30 (?). Both are slightly undersized for my cages, but will work. :) Now just waiting for dad to drill holes in the top so I can secure them to the cages. They're just sitting against the back of the cages for now. My favorite part is you can't even tell the plexiglass is there! I forsee minor modifications to maximize it's potential, but I expect it to be very sufficient for it's purpose. :)

Thanks so much for all your help everyone! I think the plexiglass was a worthwhile purchase. :)
~Kalena

Offline Bratratbeds

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • The furry children own my pocketbook...
    • Brat Rat Beds
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2006, 06:16:35 PM »
i just read an old post of someone that went to lowe's, got Plexiglas sized to her cage and connected it to her cage inside the pan to keep bedding from being kicked out...i would think you could get a large slab of Plexiglas and connect it to the cage inside the pan just like she did....now that gives me a great idea to keep bedding in!
:wave2:  That would be me....  I didn't "attach it to the cage though I just have the large piece sitting inside the pan and leaning up against the wall.  On the sides I had them cut the pieces about 6" tall by 18" for the sides and 30" X 6" for the front  For the sides I just hooked the springs for holding the cage into the pan over the Plexiglas to hold it.  For the front I just used a wood burning tool to "cut" (melt :cheeky:) out a section to allow the door to be opened over the plastic and it also holds in place when the door is closed.  all totaled I think I spent no more than $35.00  Lowe's had 2 kinds of clear plastic one is the actual Plexiglas type then another that I can't think of the name right now that is cheaper the large piece I got ( 36"x30" I think) was only $18.00 plus tax.
"Success is not an entitlement, it must be earned"  Howard Shultz, Chairman Starbucks
"Affordable beds for your furry children."
www.bratratbeds.com
"Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are somebody's going to get hurt." Alton Brown

Offline ginger_fish

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2006, 09:55:02 PM »
I use cloroplast as the litter pan, it works perfectly and holds no odor. Also it doesn't stain. Cheap, very re-usable, light. It's a great choice for anything.

Offline daratter

• Rattie raisins for all!
    • Phoenix Gate Rats
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »
I back my cages up with plastic placemats for the smaller ones and the plastic office floor runners you can buy at an office store for the larger ones (notthe thick ones but the rolls of plastic). You can cut this material easily and I use c-clips to attach it to the cage. I use a hole puncher for the table placemats to make holes in the mats and then use zip ties to attch those. I attach both of these to the actual cage itself, on the back and the sides if needed. This allows it to be cleaned at the same time the cage is cleaned also.
Amy

Come visit us at www.pxrats.com

Offline Fnordia

• You rang?
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 02:53:47 AM »
CHEAP SHOWER CURTAINS!

We got ours for like $2 at Walgreens, and they come with grommets already in for zip tying them on.  After a week or so the rats stopped trying to chew at it, and it works MARVELOUSLY.